Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old December 23rd, 2021, 12:48 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 2] Katryn Vade (Nahiri, Fuy in Stone) - Editing

Okay, I think it's time to circle the wagons on this one. I appreciate @Scytale 's concerns that Aspect of the Dragon needs a more clearly defined activation window in order to work cleanly with Scape's ruleset. However, I also am sympathetic to the observation that the flexibility is what currently makes the power useful. With those in mind, I'd be open to reimagining this power a bit more broadly:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
When revealing a numbered order marker on Katryn Vade's Army Card, you may also reveal an "X" order marker that is on this Army Card to activate Aspect of the Dragon for the duration of the round. While there is a revealed "X" order marker on this Army Card, Katryn Vade has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card. If Katryn is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, instead of rolling defense dice normally you may remove a revealed "X" order marker from this Army Card. If you do, Katryn takes no damage.
Obviously this ability would require a points increase, along with a potential drop in life and/or defense.

Curious what the rest of the Pod thinks about a change like this, or whether they'd prefer to remove Aspect of the Dragon entirely and workshop a completely new direction for a potential second power.
@Zetsubo @Alexandros @Skinderella @NecroBlade @Astroking112 @flameslayer93
Old December 23rd, 2021, 04:39 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Okay, I think it's time to circle the wagons on this one. I appreciate @Scytale 's concerns that Aspect of the Dragon needs a more clearly defined activation window in order to work cleanly with Scape's ruleset. However, I also am sympathetic to the observation that the flexibility is what currently makes the power useful. With those in mind, I'd be open to reimagining this power a bit more broadly:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
When revealing a numbered order marker on Katryn Vade's Army Card, you may also reveal an "X" order marker that is on this Army Card to activate Aspect of the Dragon for the duration of the round. While there is a revealed "X" order marker on this Army Card, Katryn Vade has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card. If Katryn is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, instead of rolling defense dice normally you may remove a revealed "X" order marker from this Army Card. If you do, Katryn takes no damage.
Obviously this ability would require a points increase, along with a potential drop in life and/or defense.

Curious what the rest of the Pod thinks about a change like this, or whether they'd prefer to remove Aspect of the Dragon entirely and workshop a completely new direction for a potential second power.
@Zetsubo @Alexandros @Skinderella @NecroBlade @Astroking112 @flameslayer93
I'm actually a pretty big fan of where you have the power. It seems clear, mechanically unique, and flavorful. That works well enough that I'm not sure we need to reinvent it.
Old December 23rd, 2021, 10:09 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I much refer the current version, whether or not we decide it needs to be tweaked or reworded. That redesign is too complex, especially having two completely different uses wrapped up in one power.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 24th, 2021, 01:51 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

How about the below? It keeps the flexibility, but gives a window on when the power must be activated.

ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
At the beginning of each figure's turn, you may change Katryn Vade's size to huge until the end of the turn.
Old December 24th, 2021, 10:37 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
How about the below? It keeps the flexibility, but gives a window on when the power must be activated.

ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
At the beginning of each figure's turn, you may change Katryn Vade's size to huge until the end of the turn.
I do miss the damage avoidance factor on the X marker, but I don't dislike this templating. Is there a way to combine those two things?
Old December 29th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I like @Captain Stupendous ' suggestion to increase the usefulness of the power if we decide to limit its activation window. I'm not really a big fan of relying on the X OM here, though; I think that it'd be preferable to just use one of the unused markers in the box, especially if she has a way to remove it to ignore damage like some classic powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
This would be my preference as a way of retaining most of the versatility of her power, though IIRC there was some concern about it being too much upkeep to decide whether Katryn is Huge or Medium every turn. I don't think that it'd be too bad, though, especially since the card is otherwise extremely simple and easy to handle. We could streamline it even further with something like this:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Start the game with an Avatar Marker on this card. At the beginning of any figure's turn, you may either remove or place the Avatar Marker on this card. While the Avatar marker is on Katryn's Army Card, Katryn Vade has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card.
This changes it from requiring an active decision each turn to just defaulting to whatever you chose last. It loses some of the flexibility, of course, but you can still carry her with Theracus and then ignore Poisonous Acid Breath the next turn.
Old December 29th, 2021, 07:55 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
Start the game with an Avatar Marker on this card. At the beginning of any figure's turn, you may either remove or place the Avatar Marker on this card. While the Avatar marker is on Katryn's Army Card, Katryn Vade has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card.
I like this version the best so far. Flexible enough to take advantage of all the benefits of either medium or huge. Marker keeps the ability from being too much of a memory mechanic and keeps the ability a simple on/off. I'd make it trigger on order marker reveal (before or after) rather than each figures turn. This keeps it from having to trigger on bonding turns
Old December 29th, 2021, 09:50 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Unfortunately, the damage reduction ability probably does add more complexity than its worth.

I'd prefer not to allow Aspect of the Dragon to be activated at the beginning of opponent's turns because it requires you to remember to declare it before your opponent moves any of their figures, which will be annoying in practice.

How about this for the power:

Quote:
ASPECT OF THE DRAGON
After revealing an Order Marker on an Army Card you control and before taking a turn with that army card, you may either place or remove the Aspect Marker on this card. While the Aspect marker is on Katryn's Army Card, Katryn has a size of Huge instead of what is listed on this Army Card.
Old December 29th, 2021, 10:24 PM

Does anything else in the set consider size thus far?
Old December 29th, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Yes; at this point Dienekes, Ozuul, and Vlad all have powers that only affect small/medium figures, so the Huge immunity to those powers will actually be fairly relevant in games using just the AotV figures.
Old December 30th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Yes; at this point Dienekes, Ozuul, and Vlad all have powers that only affect small/medium figures, so the Huge immunity to those powers will actually be fairly relevant in games using just the AotV figures.
Okay- I just want to make sure it's not vanity text.
Old January 1st, 2022, 04:34 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Something to think about; what happens when Katryn becomes Huge while atop a Pillar of Hár? I'm not sure how official the wording is that "only small or medium figures can be placed", but if that wording is correct then I think we'll be fine if she changes back and forth while up there. (Of note, as a melee figure she doesn't have much reason to climb in the first place, but it is a possibility.)

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs