Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old December 6th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Reinforcements Arrive

This past Thanksgiving weekend we were able to host the 2nd annual Helmsgiving Day Tournament. Actually, it was the day after Thanksgiving but basically we included the guests that spent Thanksgiving together. There were 7 of us together to battle again on 3 2v2 maps. Being an odd number meant that Matt Helm sat out this year's battle and moderated. We had one newbie and one second time player so it worked out well for me to watch their matches.

The players included:
- Helm Jr.
- Lil'Helm
- JStrikes
- Nephew
- Nephew's FiancÚ (new player)
- Niece's Boyfriend (second time)

Just like last year we had a 1000 pt army snake draft with one rule. After each battle, we would draft again. Any surviving figures on the winners team remained on their team. Any destroyed characters were out of the tourney. New draft order was selected based on random lottery with losing players getting higher percentage. We started with 120 different cards in the HelmAverse. By the end of the night 61 cards were used and 59 went undrafted. It was great to see some older designs make it in the battle and prove to be as fun as we remembered (I'm looking at you rarely drafted Giant Man).

The maps included (1) a Jungle mountain, (2) an open lot with two water towers, some cars and sand mounds, and (3) an alien world with snow, rocks, and lava fields. The intent was that different cards would play differently on each map. The twist was, you didn't know who you were playing or which map you were on in the first two rounds. Only in the third round could you figure out which map you hadn't seen and which opponent would end up there, too. Some players took chances and for the most part it worked out. Sandman played on the sand map and did some surprising damage. Swamp Thing played on the Jungle Mountain and was a tank. Aquaman and Namor both ended up on the map with the water towers but neither could make anything happen with such little water.

The real story of the night was once again my Nephew's dominance. He's been playing on and off with me since 2007 and he is now pushing 30 years old. Crazy how time flies. He was definitely the "super villain" as everyone, including his fiancÚ was rooting against him in every match. Due to the draft order he lost Thanos and Captain America thus creating a challenge for him as those are his staples. Instead he built his army around Ultron and Scarlet Witch. Boy were they scary together. Especially in the first match when he surrounded them with the Green Lantern Corps.

At the end of the night, Nephew was 3-0, Lil'Helm and JStrikes were both 2-1 only losing to Nephew, FiancÚ and Boyfriend were 1-2, and Helm Jr. had a bad night at 0-3.

Some of the battles were massacres while others were nail biters. The real cheers came when hated opponent figures were taken down by losing players in their final turns. The rest of the players would cheer knowing that Thanos or the Green Lantern Corps were knocked out for good. So many times the crowd wanted Ultron to go but he kept surviving right up to the last game. None of the players would listen to me about focusing on the Scarlet Witch first before tackling Ultron. They all feared the mind controlling machine who amazingly stole key players like Darkseid or Deadpool (who thankfully wasn't destroyed and became available for another draft).

I forgot to take pics (my phone camera is not good) but my nephew's fiancÚ did so I'll try and track down a few. Damn I love this game. Thanks to all the help this community (and especially A3n) has given me in creating the HelmAverse, my family had an awesome Thanksgiving weekend in quarantine.
Old December 6th, 2020, 08:53 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: HelmAverse Supers - Reinforcements Arrive

Sounds like an awesome fun time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations