Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old June 13th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Matt Helm's Customs - Luke Skywalker 1st draft/Batman up

I realized that with She-Hulk on the board with Johnny Storm, there could be confusion as to whether or not Johnny rolls for Reckless Teammate. Therefore, I need to change She-Hulk's wording to read...

SUBSTITUTE TEAMMATE
If there is at least 1, but no more than 3 other Teammates you control in play, She-Hulk's class is changed to Teammate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
***** Also, her class listed on the left side box should say ADVENTURER (and not TEAMMATE) and her personality should say VIVACIOUS (not FOCUSED).
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: Matt Helm's Customs - Luke Skywalker 1st draft/Batman up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
I realized that with She-Hulk on the board with Johnny Storm, there could be confusion as to whether or not Johnny rolls for Reckless Teammate. Therefore, I need to change She-Hulk's wording to read...

SUBSTITUTE TEAMMATE
If there is at least 1, but no more than 3 other Teammates you control in play, She-Hulk's class is changed to Teammate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
***** Also, her class listed on the left side box should say ADVENTURER (and not TEAMMATE) and her personality should say VIVACIOUS (not FOCUSED).
Don't know how that happened. Sorry.
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Matt Helm's Customs 6/13 - Joker update, She-Hulk edit

Are you kidding me A3n old buddy? You never have to apologize for anything to me (or to the community for that matter).

The left box was apparently swiped from Mr. Fantastic... but then shame on me for finally noticing.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Captain Underpants

Looking for an opinion here. On Green Lantern, the current wording of his Special Attack allows the defender to roll an additional defense die. The problem I see is that if GL uses his ring to emulate my Hawkeye or Dead Eye Dan, he would be just as efficient as they are since defenders can not add an additional die when their power clearly states defenders cannot roll defense dice at all.

Should the last sentence of POWER RING SPECIAL ATTACK be changed to:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Figures defending against Power Ring Special Attack may choose one rolled attack die to ignore.

That change would not only prevent GL from using a Hawkeye or Dead Eye Dan special attack, but it would also nerf the power that much more. I'm not really sure if I should make that change as it seems to weaken all Special Attacks too much.

Or how goofy is this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
When rolling attack dice for Power Ring Special Attack, you must choose one attack die that shows a skull and re-roll that die once.

Last edited by Matt Helm; June 13th, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Looking for an opinion here. On Green Lantern, the current wording of his Special Attack allows the defender to roll an additional defense die. The problem I see is that if GL uses his ring to emulate my Hawkeye or Dead Eye Dan, he would be just as efficient as they are since defenders can not add an additional die when their power clearly states defenders cannot roll defense dice at all.

Should the last sentence of POWER RING SPECIAL ATTACK be changed to:
Figures defending against Power Ring Special Attack may choose one rolled attack die to ignore.

That change would not only prevent GL from using a Hawkeye or Dead Eye Dan special attack, but it would also nerf the power that much more. I'm not really sure if I should make that change as it seems to weaken all Special Attacks too much.

Or how goofy is this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
When rolling attack dice for Power Ring Special Attack, you must choose one attack die that shows a skull and re-roll that die once.
Truthfully I don't like any of them. My preference would be to just scrap the negative effect of the power. While you ignore DD or HE the power was great & had a consequence but since you have realised the DD & HE flaw I say just ditch the consequence altogether, it's just too horrible trying to compensate for all occasions.

Cheers
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM

She Hulk should be fixed if you refresh now.

Cheers
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I agree with A3n that the limitation to Power Ring Special Attack should simply be dropped, unless you found something gamebreaking about the special attack when you designed it. Me, I'm not seeing anything gamebreaking. In fact, against an opponent with no special attacks, he's pretty weak sauce.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Captain Underpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Truthfully I don't like any of them. My preference would be to just scrap the negative effect of the power. While you ignore DD or HE the power was great & had a consequence but since you have realised the DD & HE flaw I say just ditch the consequence altogether, it's just too horrible trying to compensate for all occasions.

Cheers
OK you've both convinced me to drop the last line and go back to being a Special Attack machine.

I just hate to see him shooting from range as equally as Silver Surfer does and as powerful when engaged as NM24 Hellboy is. Keeping that last line to give defender's an added die seemed to at least distinguish that.

I'll keep thinking about it but we can just cut it off for now.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
OK you've both convinced me to drop the last line and go back to being a Special Attack machine.

I just hate to see him shooting from range as equally as Silver Surfer does and as powerful when engaged as NM24 Hellboy is.
If it helps any, the Power Ring is supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the galaxy, so there's that.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Captain Underpants

Very true. When I play with either of my nephews (one is 19 and the other is 10 so they are very different games) and we agree to play customs, GL is drafted often. It then seems that the other player avoids drafting figures with Special Attacks. He seems to be most fun the few times we get to play 4 opponent games as there are obviously more choices.

Do you think I should go with the concept of only being able to choose special attacks from cards in play? Thematically it would be as if his power ring is losing "juice" as the game goes on and opponents drop off. Mechanically it would probably see a few opponents be more inclined to draft a powerful SA figuring that GL only has the power for the same amount of time that they do.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Do you think I should go with the concept of only being able to choose special attacks from cards in play? Thematically it would be as if his power ring is losing "juice" as the game goes on and opponents drop off. Mechanically it would probably see a few opponents be more inclined to draft a powerful SA figuring that GL only has the power for the same amount of time that they do.
That's funny, that's how I thought the power worked anyway. I didn't realize that the wording allows him to use the special attacks of destroyed heroes.

That said, I don't mind the power as is. My own GL customs don't incorporate a "ring charge" element, since that's my preference, so I don't need to see a mechanic that simulates "losing juice" on your card either. As far as encouraging opponents to draft specials, I dunno. I feel like your Lantern is best used as a counterdraft to an opponent's special-attacking hero. If you draft GL first and then your opponent avoids having special attacks, then I guess you shouldn't have drafted GL first.
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Captain Underpants

Yeah the adult players know to use him as a counter draft but you should have seen my ten year old nephew's face when he drafted GL and I started taking my FF team. Only Ben has a special Attack... It wasn't pretty.

So once again, I'm leaning toward keeping the mechanic simple and just letting him mimic the powers of your opponents. But I have to ask, what made you think that he could only choose cards of figures that are still on the board (my 19 year old nephew tried to argue that with me as well). I think that as written, you can choose any card that belongs to an opponent. Am I wrong to think that a destroyed figure's card is still an opponent's card? Am I missing something and do I need to clarify some how?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations