Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old January 16th, 2019, 07:30 PM

TradeMark has disabled reputation
Re: The Book of Ornak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
It looks like you could use more muscle, honestly. I’ve played a similar variation of that build before, and felt it just couldn’t win battles of attrition. Although, that was a mixed marvel event, which makes a difference.

One change I probably would have made is trying to fit Cyprien or Heavy Gruts in there somehow. You can probably drop Brunak if you were planning on using the Gruts to mobilize Ornak anyways, freeing up 110 points. Dropping the Blades also will let you fit in 2 squads of Heavies and Iskra (since range wasn’t allowed). The Heavies can mobilize Grimnak on turn 2 and Ornak on Turn 3. Ornak would be able to move Iskra and Krug around on turn 1, a tricky combination once it gets moving. Target Krug or the Vampire? Either way, your getting rammed by Heavies next turn.
Dropping Brunak removes multistrike special attack capability though, which I rate fairly highly in an environment that had high potentials of Ashra, Samurai, and being huge helps against Braxas. Honestly, the only things that didn't have decent damage output were the gruts & Ornak, however I used them more as blockers/glyph so didn't have a ton of problems with them, nor were they often in big combats. I am a bit rusty as I'm just getting back into the game, however I've always been more a mix up player and think highly of Brunak due to his speed.

Now, to your point, Cyprien is a powerhouse on his own, but I wouldn't want to have him tied to 8 hexes for Ornak as his biggest strength is high maneuverability with only mid survivability. With OM1 generally activating Brunak & Krug or Krug & Marcu, It was easier to keep them in range for ~2 turns per Brunak carry. I imagine that the temptation to grab height with a Cyprien move, though probably awesome, would complicate the OM placement in having to back track to him solo or forcing an Ornak bonding on OM3 vs usually having Grimnak chomping.

Generally, keeping the focus on bondables or Krug for OM 2 & 3 worked out really well, in fact Krug was an absolute powerhouse all tourney. Between Chompy & Krug, I wasn't too worried about Cyprien's normal targets.

Heavies vs Blade Gruts isn't much of a debate in standard format (if range) but I think a case can be made in Melee only that Blades can be superior due to blocking. Having double the hexes to work with for only 10 more points let me focus on boosting Heros and hoping their stats would hold up vs what may come. Having the +1 Def Glyph in most games I played was massive for Brunak in particular.

As for a mixed Marvel? Yeah, it'd get crushed, but there's no way I'd bring it to an event like that. The chance to use Cap is just too juicy.

Last edited by TradeMark; January 16th, 2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old January 16th, 2019, 09:30 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Power Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I think your best bet is @Dysole for adding these.

My mod powers don't extend this far.
I do have the power. It has been done.

~Dysole, synergistically
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:59 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry if this has been answered, but when playing with Heavy Gruts, do the probability tables show its better to roll with Ornak dice or to simply roll with an extra, standard dice when attacking with the Gruts? Just curious which Orc champion actually provides a bigger additional punch for these guys. Also, what about when you account for height advantage?
Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, but when playing with Heavy Gruts, do the probability tables show its better to roll with Ornak dice or to simply roll with an extra, standard dice when attacking with the Gruts? Just curious which Orc champion actually provides a bigger additional punch for these guys. Also, what about when you account for height advantage?
Thanks!
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=16263
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...t=16263&page=6
It's pretty similar for both. With lower counts of dice, an additional die is slightly better. With the extra die for height, Ornak is slightly better, because each die added that is boosted by Ornak is more valuable than each die that is added without a boost.
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:57 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

3 dice with Ornak aura are equivalent % of average damage as 4 attack dice without aura (although there is more variability/standard deviation with 4 dice). Therefore if you start with 3 attack dice it really doesn't matter if you get height or stay in aura - although height is better defensively so usually that is the better choice. If you are starting with 0-2 attack dice, getting height is better than aura. If you are staring with 4+ attack die, getting in aura is better than a 5th+ attack die (although again think about defensively as well).
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:30 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Thanks!
It's pretty similar for both. With lower counts of dice, an additional die is slightly better. With the extra die for height, Ornak is slightly better, because each die added that is boosted by Ornak is more valuable than each die that is added without a boost.
@lefton4ya

Wow thank you both! Very helpful!

My wife plays the knights so knowing that I'm going to be dealing at minimum of 4 shields, the charts show the following:

(based on wound possibility)

Same level (Heavy Gruts 3 attack vs Knights 4 shields)
Ornak Aura - 3 dice = .571
Standard attack boosted by Tornak - 4 dice = .556

Height advantage
Ornak Aura - 4 dice = .741
Standard boosted by Tornak - 5 dice = .679

Im playing a heat of battle map and there is a section where I can immediately take height advantage to guard a glyph. I have been deciding between Tornak and Ornak to lead a secondary squad. Even though Ornak appears to be a better support unit, Tornak is a stronger individual unit. Decisions decisions.

Love this game.
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Thanks!
@lefton4ya

Wow thank you both! Very helpful!

My wife plays the knights so knowing that I'm going to be dealing at minimum of 4 shields, the charts show the following:

(based on wound possibility)

Same level (Heavy Gruts 3 attack vs Knights 4 shields)
Ornak Aura - 3 dice = .571
Standard attack boosted by Tornak - 4 dice = .556

Height advantage
Ornak Aura - 4 dice = .741
Standard boosted by Tornak - 5 dice = .679

Im playing a heat of battle map and there is a section where I can immediately take height advantage to guard a glyph. I have been deciding between Tornak and Ornak to lead a secondary squad. Even though Ornak appears to be a better support unit, Tornak is a stronger individual unit. Decisions decisions.

Love this game.
You're welcome! Heat of the Battle does make Ornak more interesting for his Aura. He also works well if you already have Grimnak, thanks to the two range of his Aura (which is very underrated).
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:18 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Apologies if this has been asked, but his special is very confusing.

"If order marker 1 is placed on Ornak"

Ok, so what even does this mean lol? Does it mean I ONLY get to use his special on the first order marker? That seems to make the most sense, but also makes him pretty bad. Does it mean that I can use the special on any of his order markers, as long as the first one is on him? That's a pretty silly limitation to his special though isn't it? Definitely beats the deathstalkers "silliest ability" in the game lol

Or does it mean that I can use his special anytime I take a turn with him, so long as the first order marker was on him?

My friend and I were debating this heavily. He thinks you can use the heavy gruts to bond with him, take a turn with him, and then use the special to move two other heroes instead, essentially giving orc squads double bonding with all utgar heroes. My common sense tells me that this is NOT what the makers had in mind, although there is nothing on the card that necessarily says this is not allowed.

Basically, is this allowed:
Order marker 1: Ornak
Order marker 2/3: Heavy gruts, bond with ornak, use red flag to move Grimnak and Tornak.

If this is not allowed, why exactly? I need a clear answer to stand a chance against my friend's debating skills here lol. If double bonding like this is allowed, he is insanely OP and definitely an A++ figure it feels like.
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loserguy
I have a question about Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Aura. It says it can only be used if order marker 1 is placed on it. What if I took a turn with him on turn one, and then on turn 2 I used the blade gruts. Could I choose Ornak as my Orc champion of choice and then re-use his Red Flag of Fury Aura again because order marker one is still on it?

If that made any sense to anyone... help me out please.
Nope you can't do that. It says "instead of taking THAT TURN with him..." That turn, referring to the turn granted by Order Marker 1.
This is the correct ruling. However, it definitely should have been worded better.
Old April 8th, 2021, 11:42 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The key wording is "instead of taking THAT turn with Ornak". Note THAT instead of A.

You can only activate 2 other heroes instead on a turn that involved revealing an OM 1 on Ornak. So no double bonding with orcs and no switching on OM 2 or 3.
Old April 9th, 2021, 12:34 AM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Thanks for the clarification both of you. That was kind of the assumption I was leaning towards a bit, but at the same time, it is a bit disappointing with how much his special is limited by it.

I still might pick him up if I get the chance, since at least he isn't game-breakingly insane lol, but I don't know how much play time he'll ever see. To be fair, I tend to play with 700+ point armies, so his usefulness is buffed pretty significantly compared to the tourney scene.

Cool figure, just not as impressive as he looks from a quick glance
Old April 9th, 2021, 09:37 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomCarrot View Post
Thanks for the clarification both of you. That was kind of the assumption I was leaning towards a bit, but at the same time, it is a bit disappointing with how much his special is limited by it.

I still might pick him up if I get the chance, since at least he isn't game-breakingly insane lol, but I don't know how much play time he'll ever see. To be fair, I tend to play with 700+ point armies, so his usefulness is buffed pretty significantly compared to the tourney scene.

Cool figure, just not as impressive as he looks from a quick glance
Give him a shot with figures that can kill multiple figures per turn (Hydra, Cyprien, Mimring, Moltenclaw, etc)! You can deal some really crazy damage on OM1 with figures like those and Ornak.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units