Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old October 4th, 2021, 11:28 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!
Guilds of Ravnica Heroscape Conversions

For some time I have supported the project SIEGE'S AotP Converted Customs headed by @SIEGE . This has been a great project to help with and at this time Siege's initial project has completed. Siege's original project can be found at the below link, but I have continued that project and created the Heroes of the Planes (HotP) project at this link (https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=61027). HotP continues the AotP Heroscape Custom Card conversion with updated playtesting to those cards and continues to add new MTG themed Heroscape Custom Cards.:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=54643

I also have been looking at the work that @Skyver has done with the Guilds of Ravnica Workshop and specifically the first completed expansion called Ravnica Expansion [w/Spell Cards] thread that is a part of this. You can find this effort at the following link:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55766

Both of these efforts have inspired me to contribute to this great community. Since the SIEGE'S AotP Converted Customs project is only meant for creating converted Heroscape cards for the two AotP Master Sets and the one large set I wanted to try to expand on this. The Ravnica Expansion [w/Spell Cards] provides a great potential for this. I reached out to @Skyver to see if there were any issues with me leveraging that great work, but directing it at Heroscape converted cards. @Skyver has had other priorities in life take precedence so right now there is only the first expansion to leverage.

I have five goals on what I had hoped to achieve.

1) Expand the great work that @SIEGE has done with custom Heroscape cards that have figures that are readily available and are inexpensive.

2) Leverage the great vision of @Skyver with that awesome project, but in a converted Heroscape set of cards.

3) Have these converted custom cards synergize with the SIEGE'S AotP Converted Customs project converted cards.

4) Stay true to the MTG universe.

5) Contribute to the Heroscapers community.

Below are my completed cards. I hope the community enjoys them. Any comments or inputs are always welcome.

Edit Notes: All cards have been updated 08/19/22 with design inputs provide 11/14/21 from @SIEGE .

AZORIUS SENATE

DOVIN BAAN
Updates of this card can be found at the below link:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=61027

AZORIUS GUILDMAGES

AZORIUS ARRESTERS

SPHINX OF JUDGEMENT

IZZET LEAGUE

RAL ZAREK

ARCLIGHT PHEONIX

BLISTERCOIL WEIRDS

WIND DRAKES

Last edited by gatormustang; December 8th, 2022 at 10:00 AM.
Old October 13th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker
Re: Guilds of Ravnica Heroscape Conversions

Great work! I think there is a lot of value in designing cards for classic 'Scape, while retaining the rich flavor of the original characters and themes.

I'm also glad you were able to take inspiration from what I began. So far I'm slowly dipping my feet back into HeroScape and I look forward to contributing to the community where I can.

Keep up the good stuff.
Old October 15th, 2021, 08:55 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

@Skyver I am glad you liked the custom Heroscape card versions that I leveraged from your work. I know you are busy with other priorities right now, but if you do get a chance I would really enjoy seeing any other Guilds of Ravnica Workshop unit cards that you have completed and the named figures you have associated to those. I want to continue to expand on what I am doing, but really want it to continue to align to yours within the Guilds.
Old November 14th, 2021, 07:54 PM

SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker SIEGE knows what's in an order marker

@gatormustang , sorry it's been a while. I had a lot going on last month. I had a chance to look over your Ravnica Guilds figures more closely. Here are my thoughts.

Dovin Baan
His abilities are very thematic and flavorful, and I like what they do conceptually, but I think System Manipulation and Dovin's Machination 13 may be overpowered in combination on one figure and at 120 points. Auras and negation abilities are very powerful, and I am cautious about abilities that synergize well with Major Q9 + Raelin (RotV) by allowing Q9 to stack up even more Defense dice. My theory crafting put him at 180 points, but he is more of a buffer figure and has average survivability so maybe 150 is good. Ideally, I wouldn't want any of his abilities nerfed or removed because I like them as they are, but these are options if you want to keep his price down. I would also clarify when Dovin's Machination 13 takes place. For example, "After moving and before attacking, you may choose an opponent's figure..."

Azorius Guildmages
I was initially concerned that they may be too fragile for a unique squad, but their ability is a good defensive counter and a defensive team boost. They just need to be pitted against Wizards, Mages, and Sorcerers to be effective.

Azorius Arresters
I like Vigilance as a common ability that shows up on multiple cards (like Counter Stirke or Double Attack). Detain and Vigilance on one card is an interesting combo.

Sphinx of Judgement
I was confused at first by the wording of Hexproof 12. At first, I thought it only worked on special attacks and wasn't sure if it negated just the special effect of the attack or both the effect and the damage. I reread it and realized it works on all special powers. The last sentence should use "effects", not "affects", and you might want to change the end to say "... from that special power or glyph." My theory crafting put him at 185, but you may want to test him at 150. He is fragile at 3 Life, but Hexproof 12 gives him a lot of survivability especially if it works on all special powers.

Ral Zarek
I really like the Storm Mage theme on this guy. His abilities and stats perfectly reflect a chaotic, arrogant, lightning-slinging mage. I really like that Lightning Mayhem Special Attack can target connected water spaces. You may want to clarify that it is "all figures on connected, same-level water spaces" that are affected. That way, it's clear that water on a different level is not considered connected. That's how other water-affecting powers work (like the Greater Ice Elemental's Ice Cold power). You should also add, "Roll attack dice once for all affected figures." before "Each affected figure rolls defense dice separately." For Electric Discharge Immunity, since Heroscape does not assign elemental types to special attacks and powers, you may want to reword it to say, "Ral Zarek rolls 2 additional defense dice when he is the target of a special attack that has the words "electric", "electricity", or "lightning" in its name." That way, it is not ambiguous what attacks are considered "electricity" or "lightning" attacks.

Arclight Phoenix
For Lightning Rebirth 6, I would change it to "...wizard, mage, or sorcerer with a special ability with "electric", "electricity", or "lightning" in its name...". I could see this figure priced around 180 points. Rebirthing a Hero figure is very powerful (like Thanos' Rejected by Death power). Arclight Phoenix has low Life and average Defense but high Speed and Attack. Lightning Rebirth 6 should trigger about once a game which basically doubles the figure's durability. If this figure had 6 Life (double) instead of Lightning Rebirth 6, I could see it priced around 180, so that is comparable.

Blistercoil Weirds
Again, super thematic with the blister-y abilities. For Explosive Growth, I would change it to say, "If a Blistercoil Weird is the target of a special attack with the words "fire" or "flame" in its name and is not destroyed...". Again, for clarity about what is considered a fire-based ability. They may be a tad expensive. Maybe 80 points?

Wind Drakes
Again, super thematic with "wind" powers. Imprisoning Wind is a neat ability similar to the Air Element's Swirling Vortex, but unique in its own way.

Conclusion
You really nailed it with the figures' themes and unique and interesting powers. It's a great start to this project!
Old November 18th, 2021, 03:37 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormustang View Post
@Skyver I am glad you liked the custom Heroscape card versions that I leveraged from your work. I know you are busy with other priorities right now, but if you do get a chance I would really enjoy seeing any other Guilds of Ravnica Workshop unit cards that you have completed and the named figures you have associated to those. I want to continue to expand on what I am doing, but really want it to continue to align to yours within the Guilds.
Sure, I'll see if I can compile what I have into a visual list or spreadsheet so you can have a starting point for the rest of the cards. I spent a lot of time figuring out each of the guilds so it will be nice to see someone continue the work.
Old August 18th, 2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormustang View Post
Sure, I'll see if I can compile what I have into a visual list or spreadsheet so you can have a starting point for the rest of the cards. I spent a lot of time figuring out each of the guilds so it will be nice to see someone continue the work.
@Skyver it has been a little while since I last reached out to you pertaining to your other Guilds of Ravnica Workshop unit cards that you have completed and the named figures you have associated to those. I still would like to continue to leverage your workshop effort to create custom Heroscape versions of your work. If you have the time would you mind sending what you have.
Old August 19th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIEGE View Post
@gatormustang , sorry it's been a while. I had a lot going on last month. I had a chance to look over your Ravnica Guilds figures more closely. Here are my thoughts.

Dovin Baan
His abilities are very thematic and flavorful, and I like what they do conceptually, but I think System Manipulation and Dovin's Machination 13 may be overpowered in combination on one figure and at 120 points. Auras and negation abilities are very powerful, and I am cautious about abilities that synergize well with Major Q9 + Raelin (RotV) by allowing Q9 to stack up even more Defense dice. My theory crafting put him at 180 points, but he is more of a buffer figure and has average survivability so maybe 150 is good. Ideally, I wouldn't want any of his abilities nerfed or removed because I like them as they are, but these are options if you want to keep his price down. I would also clarify when Dovin's Machination 13 takes place. For example, "After moving and before attacking, you may choose an opponent's figure..."

Azorius Guildmages
I was initially concerned that they may be too fragile for a unique squad, but their ability is a good defensive counter and a defensive team boost. They just need to be pitted against Wizards, Mages, and Sorcerers to be effective.

Azorius Arresters
I like Vigilance as a common ability that shows up on multiple cards (like Counter Stirke or Double Attack). Detain and Vigilance on one card is an interesting combo.

Sphinx of Judgement
I was confused at first by the wording of Hexproof 12. At first, I thought it only worked on special attacks and wasn't sure if it negated just the special effect of the attack or both the effect and the damage. I reread it and realized it works on all special powers. The last sentence should use "effects", not "affects", and you might want to change the end to say "... from that special power or glyph." My theory crafting put him at 185, but you may want to test him at 150. He is fragile at 3 Life, but Hexproof 12 gives him a lot of survivability especially if it works on all special powers.

Ral Zarek
I really like the Storm Mage theme on this guy. His abilities and stats perfectly reflect a chaotic, arrogant, lightning-slinging mage. I really like that Lightning Mayhem Special Attack can target connected water spaces. You may want to clarify that it is "all figures on connected, same-level water spaces" that are affected. That way, it's clear that water on a different level is not considered connected. That's how other water-affecting powers work (like the Greater Ice Elemental's Ice Cold power). You should also add, "Roll attack dice once for all affected figures." before "Each affected figure rolls defense dice separately." For Electric Discharge Immunity, since Heroscape does not assign elemental types to special attacks and powers, you may want to reword it to say, "Ral Zarek rolls 2 additional defense dice when he is the target of a special attack that has the words "electric", "electricity", or "lightning" in its name." That way, it is not ambiguous what attacks are considered "electricity" or "lightning" attacks.

Arclight Phoenix
For Lightning Rebirth 6, I would change it to "...wizard, mage, or sorcerer with a special ability with "electric", "electricity", or "lightning" in its name...". I could see this figure priced around 180 points. Rebirthing a Hero figure is very powerful (like Thanos' Rejected by Death power). Arclight Phoenix has low Life and average Defense but high Speed and Attack. Lightning Rebirth 6 should trigger about once a game which basically doubles the figure's durability. If this figure had 6 Life (double) instead of Lightning Rebirth 6, I could see it priced around 180, so that is comparable.

Blistercoil Weirds
Again, super thematic with the blister-y abilities. For Explosive Growth, I would change it to say, "If a Blistercoil Weird is the target of a special attack with the words "fire" or "flame" in its name and is not destroyed...". Again, for clarity about what is considered a fire-based ability. They may be a tad expensive. Maybe 80 points?

Wind Drakes
Again, super thematic with "wind" powers. Imprisoning Wind is a neat ability similar to the Air Element's Swirling Vortex, but unique in its own way.

Conclusion
You really nailed it with the figures' themes and unique and interesting powers. It's a great start to this project!
@SIEGE I am not sure how active you still are within the Heroscapers community, but I wanted to make sure to at least acknowledge my appreciation for your design inputs on my Guilds of Ravnica Heroscape Conversions project. I dropped off for a little bit and have recently been on the Heroscapers site more and wanted to update these cards from your inputs. Great inputs and I have updated all of them. Thank you once again.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender