Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old March 6th, 2024, 04:01 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Well met!

Posted in the Gang thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Satisfaction? Sorry, but I just saw my first Taylor Swift videos--hey, she's pretty good--and in the one with Mick Jagger they both sang "I can't get no...satisfaction! And if you can get any from fan custom committees like you did with Kha, then more power to ya!
Maybe I should start working on my pitches.

Ladies and gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to examine my designs for fitness to be submitted as candidates for SoV. Someone said not too long ago that 1 power leaves more to the imagination, while more powers create a more immersive figure. I have settled on 3 as the magic number for powers on a card. Case in point:

I believe that the 4 customs I will present to you below are fun, playable, and would be positive additions to the SoV. And their sculpts are readily available and cheap. The only questions I have are about costing them. So, without further ado, we'll start with the most recently created:

Serpentfolk Hunter
Pathfinder Battles
Jungle of Despair

KOMURA
General: Ullar
Race: Serpentfolk
Uniqueness: Unique Hero
Class: Rogue
Personality: Tricky
Size: Medium 5
Life: 4
Move: 6
Range: 7
Attack: 3
Defense: 3

WYVERN RIDER
If Komura is unengaged and adjacent to a Wyvern you control, instead of moving Komura normally, you may move that Wyvern 7 spaces. After moving that Wyvern, place Komura adjacent to that Wyvern. Komura may then attack normally.

SIGHTED IN
If Komura attacks and rolls at least 2 skulls, he may attack 1 additional time.

POISON WEAPONS
Each time Komura attacks a small, medium, or large Hero with a normal attack or a leaving engagement attack and inflicts at least 1 wound, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11, nothing happens. If you roll a 12 or higher, add 1 additional wound to the defending figure.

I suggested the Wyvern as a proxy for the animal Renegade's Evil Raelin rode in on. It immediately occurred to me that it would be cool to design a Wyvern Rider. As I was scrolling through Pathfinder's minis, as is my wont, I came upon the Serpentfolk Hunter. Perfect for what I had in mind.

C'mon! You really want to. Komura is the answer to a prayer. The problem with Carry has always been the waste of the carrier's turn. With this, that issue is resolved. And the Wyvern's turns won't be wasted either. He's just what our Serpentfolk archer needs to deal with anyone that gets to close, as well as bringing opponents' figures into range of Komura's bow. Their synergy is unique, fun, and easy to use. A brother in arms to the classic Kha. What more could you want? Why yet another Rogue hero with yet another unique set of powers:

Human Female Barbarian
Pathfinder Icons of the Realms

RIEKA THE WOLF
General: Aquilla
Race: Human
Personality: Ferocious
Life: 5
Range: 4

GO FOR THE THROAT
When Rieka the Wolf attacks she may attack any or all figures adjacent to her, and she receives 1 extra attack die for each wound marker on the defending figure's Army Card to a maximum of 3 additional attack dice for Go for the Throat. Roll each attack separately.

STEALTH LEAP
Instead of her normal move, Rieka the Wolf may Stealth Leap. Stealth Leap has a move of 3. When counting spaces for Rieka the Wolf's leaping movement, ignore elevations. Rieka the Wolf may leap over water without stopping, pass over figures without becoming engaged, and leap over obstacles such as ruins. Rieka the Wolf may not leap more than 12 levels up or down in a single leap. If Rieka the Wolf is engaged when she starts to leap, she does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

CORNERED
If Rieka Ravenwolf has only 1 Life remaining or is the last remaining figure in your army, add 1 to her Attack and Defense.

Rieka the Wolf's Race was initially Wolf, in addition to Human. While that wrinkle was dropped, she remains wolfish. While Stealth Leap and her particularly nasty version of Whirlwind Assault make her comparable to a few Monks, her Ranged attack (representing her throwing her axe) and, most of all, her unique power, Cornered, clearly separate her from the pack. Yes, I did! A sophisticated package at a reasonable cost. What more could you want? How about yet another Rogue hero? Groan. But one that turns this rag-tag faction into a force to be reckoned with:

Valeros, Human Fighter
Pathfinder's Iconic Heroes Evolved

RAVENWOLF
General: Ullar
Personality: Disciplined
Life: 4
Move: 5
Attack: 4
Defense: 4

MARK OF THE RAVEN
Place two black Raven markers on Ravenwolf's card. If Ravenwolf wounds an enemy Unique Hero with her attack, place a Raven marker from this card onto that figure's card. The same target can receive up to two markers. The defending Unique Hero rolls one less defense die for each marker on its card when attacked by a normal attack. If the defending Unique Hero is defeated, return the marker(s) to Ravenwolf's card.

GRIT
When Ravenwolf attacks, he may attack one additional time for every two wound markers on this Army Card.

RAVENSHIELD
All Rogues you control adjacent to Ravenwolf add 1 die to their defense.

The sculpt is an evolved iconic hero, and Ravenwolf is just that. His base stats are identical to Kaemon Awa's, but there are marked differences in their powers and utility. While Kaemon Awa is a straightforward shark, Ravenwolf is primarily a cheerleader, especially for the Rogues. He mitigates their major weakness (defense) with Ravenshield, and strengthens all their attacks with the unique power, Mark of the Raven. The Rogues have arrived! What more could you want? How about the She Who Must Be Obeyed of the Seas:

Lirianne, Half-Elf Gunslinger
Pathfinder Battles Iconic Heroes IV

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Utgar
Class: Pirate
Personality: Ruthless
Move: 5

HAND CANNON
When Captain Xue attacks an opponent's figure, you may choose an opponent's figure adjacent to that figure. If the defending figure receives any wounds from Captain Xue, the chosen figure receives 1 wound. When Captain Xue attacks, she may attack 1 additional time.

CAPTAIN XUE'S SCOURGE
When a Pirate figure you control that is within 4 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue rolls attack dice for a normal attack against an adjacent opponent's figure, you may add 2 attack dice to its roll. If you do, and that Pirate figure does not inflict a wound, inflict a wound on that Pirate figure.

MUTINY
After a Unique Captain you control recieves a wound or is destroyed, any or all Pirate Squads you control that chose that Captain for The Captain's Way special power may choose Captain Xue to be their chosen Captain for the rest of the game. If you do, remove all wound markers from Captain Xue.

Captain Xue gives the Pirates some real firepower and she can stay aggressive, pick and choose her spots for her unique power, Scourge, and lead a Mutiny at just the right time to remove all her wound markers. She is uniquely formidable. The Princess Aura of the Pirates. What more could you want? Well too bad, 'cause that's all I have at the moment. Except to reiterate that any and all of these customs would be great additions to the SoV, and I look forward to working with you to make that happen. Thank you! Thank you very much!

Last edited by kolakoski; March 6th, 2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old March 6th, 2024, 11:01 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

@mac122 made us cards! They look great!

I can't believe he got all that text on the cards.

P.S.: Scenario for March 13th:

The Dirty Dozen Freeze!

Map. Mt. Thaelink's Saddle V.2 by Nomad. Replace Power Glyphs with Brandar’s Chests. Expand Start Zones as necessary.

Blizzard Conditions. Heavy Snow and Slippery Ice rules in effect.

Armies. Team game. 600 points/player, filling no more than 12 spaces. Classic, C3V, SoV, Renegade, AoA allowed; no Marvel.

Victory Conditions. After ten Rounds the game ends, and Victory Points (VPs) are awarded as follows:

1 VP to the team that destroyed the most points (partial card scoring).

1 VP for possession of each Brandar's Chest.

All four customs, and Kha, will appear: Captain Xue in a Pirate army (featuring both Renegade Utgar Kyrie Warriors), and Rieka the Wolf, Ravenwolf, Komura, and Kha, in a pure Rogue army (except for Komura's Wyvern, of course).

Armies for March 13th:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by kolakoski; March 7th, 2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old March 7th, 2024, 11:15 PM

Well met!

From my post in another thread:

WHIRLING LANCE
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. In addition, if a figure is within 2 spaces of Raelin the Kyrie Warrior, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below her base, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior may add 1 to her Range when attacking that figure. Roll each attack separately.

Thinking of adapting for the following:

Thri-kreen
D&D Sand & Stone

SHI-TARKAS
Race: Insect
Uniqueness: Uncommon Hero
Class: Predator
Personality: Fearless
Range: 1

ACID SPIT
When a Shi-Tarkas attacks an adjacent opponent's figure, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 17 or higher, that figure may not roll defense dice against that Shi-Tarkas' attack.

THRI-KREEN ASSAULT
A Shi-Tarkas may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. In addition, if a figure is within 2 spaces of a Shi-Tarkas, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below that Shi-Tarkas' base, that Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that figure. Roll each attack separately.

ACROBATIC
When a Shi-Tarkas rolls defense dice against a normal attack, one shield will block all damage.

Plenty of these figures available.

Thought of using Reach for a spearman long ago, but let it go until I thought to nerf it - today.

P.S.: Bought figure this evening.

P.P.S.: Quoting myself:

Every once in a while, I go off the deep end with custom creation.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 9th, 2024 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 8th, 2024, 05:35 PM

Well met!

Tempted to make Shi-Tarkas Uncommon . . .

P.S.: Done.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 9th, 2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:36 AM

Well met!

Similarly:

ZHUZI CAINE
General: Utgar
Race: Elf
Class: Wizard
Personality: Tricky

DARK CHI
At the beginning the Round, before placing Order Markers, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 17 or higher, add 1 to Zhuzi's Attack and Defense for that Round.

MARK OF CAINE
Place two Caine markers on Zhuzi's card. If Zhuzi wounds an enemy Unique Hero with her attack, place a Caine marker from this card onto that figure's card. The same target can receive up to two markers. The defending Unique Hero rolls one less defense die for each marker on its card when attacked by a normal attack. If the defending Unique Hero is defeated, return the marker(s) to Zhuzi's card.

WHIRLING BAMBOO
Zhuzi may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. In addition, if a figure is within 2 spaces of Zhuzi, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below her base, Zhuzi may add 1 to her Range when attacking that figure. Roll each attack separately.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 9th, 2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:41 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"Walk softly but carry a big stick."
--President Theodore Roosevelt

You seem to have become obsessed with big sticks...
Old March 9th, 2024, 01:05 PM

Well met!

Major revisions to Zhuzi . . .

P.S.: And don't get me started about Riders.

How simple to do the same for Dragons . . .

Last edited by kolakoski; March 9th, 2024 at 04:21 PM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 04:03 PM

Well met!

What do you do when you create a cool power? Must you give it to only one figure, or give it to a few? For example:

Ravenwolf has Mark of the Raven. Zhuzi Caine has Mark of Caine. The same power seems to work in both contexts. Similarly, Shi-Tarkas' Whirling Lance is identical to Zhuzi Caine's Whirling Bamboo.

Old March 9th, 2024, 04:44 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Thri-kreen
D&D Sand & Stone

SHI-TARKAS
Race: Insect
Uniqueness: Uncommon Hero
Class: Predator
Personality: Fearless

ACID SPIT
When a Shi-Tarkas attacks an adjacent opponent's figure, roll the 20-sided die. On a roll of 17 or higher, that figure may not roll defense dice against that Shi-Tarkas' attack.

THRI-KREEN ASSAULT
A Shi-Tarkas may attack any or all figures adjacent to her. If a figure is within 2 spaces of a Shi-Tarkas, and its base is no more than 1 level above or 1 level below that Shi-Tarkas' base, that Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that figure. Roll each attack separately.

EVASIVE 1
When a Shi-Tarkas rolls defense dice against an attacking figure who is not adjacent, add 1 defense dice to the defending Shi-Tarkas.

Now that Shi-Tarkas are Uncommon, if they are successful, we'll have to get more figures. Besides this sculpt, which is plentiful, there is the following (even more available):

Thri-Kreen (Spear)

P.S.: Upon reflection, I like the Thri-Kreen much better than Zhuzi Caine, so I'm letting her go.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 10th, 2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:35 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A Thri-Kreen; very cool! It's always nice to see more bonding options for the bees, as well as different options for the spiders!

I am a little concerned about Acrobatic on a figure with 3 Defense. Statistically speaking, each Shi-Tarkas has about a 70% chance to roll at least one shield; your chances improve to roughly 80% if it has a height or terrain bonus, 87% if Raelin is nearby, or 91% if both factors are present. Meanwhile, 4 Life means that you'll have to win against these odds multiple times per Shi-Tarkas. Because this is a fairly cheap Uncommon multi-attacker, one can draft several and create an unexciting gameplay experience for the opposing players.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly is a Shi-Tarkas?

---------------------------------------
Quote:

What do you do when you create a cool power? Must you give it to only one figure, or give it to a few?[/B].

I'm not sure if this was a rhetorical question, but if it wasn't, I'll say that I usually leave new and distinctive special powers as the sole property of their original owner, as I really only invent such powers if I can't accomplish the specific thematic or mechanical goals behind a given unit using only existing powers. Exceptions would occur if the power in question could provide overarching synergy to a new faction I've brainstormed, or if it could be used significantly differently by a new unit (i.e. adapting a Unique Hero's power for use by a Common Squad).
Old March 10th, 2024, 12:59 AM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
A Thri-Kreen; very cool! It's always nice to see more bonding options for the bees, as well as different options for the spiders!

I am a little concerned about Acrobatic on a figure with 3 Defense. Statistically speaking, each Shi-Tarkas has about a 70% chance to roll at least one shield; your chances improve to roughly 80% if it has a height or terrain bonus, 87% if Raelin is nearby, or 91% if both factors are present. Meanwhile, 4 Life means that you'll have to win against these odds multiple times per Shi-Tarkas. Because this is a fairly cheap Uncommon multi-attacker, one can draft several and create an unexciting gameplay experience for the opposing players.

Also, out of curiosity, what exactly is a Shi-Tarkas?

---------------------------------------
Quote:

What do you do when you create a cool power? Must you give it to only one figure, or give it to a few?[/B].

I'm not sure if this was a rhetorical question, but if it wasn't, I'll say that I usually leave new and distinctive special powers as the sole property of their original owner, as I really only invent such powers if I can't accomplish the specific thematic or mechanical goals behind a given unit using only existing powers. Exceptions would occur if the power in question could provide overarching synergy to a new faction I've brainstormed, or if it could be used significantly differently by a new unit (i.e. adapting a Unique Hero's power for use by a Common Squad).
@Blue Trails, thanks for that! Testing will be complicated, with all the synergies. As for Acrobatic, I hear you. Among Evasive 1, 2, or 3, which would you choose? For now, see above.

A Shi-Tarkas is a Barsoomian Desert Race.

I hear you as to my question. " [I]f I can't accomplish the specific thematic or mechanical goals behind a given unit using only existing powers" is, of course, what I've been doing.

Last edited by kolakoski; March 10th, 2024 at 11:10 AM.
Old March 10th, 2024, 01:59 AM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

First, I agree with the switch to Evasive 1 is a good idea.

Second, as a maybe change is because against a 4 man (non-bonding) melee squad, a Shi-Tarkas will be rolling 8 times (4 Acid Spit and 4 Attacks) in addition to taking a turn with the spiders. Yes you could roll the Acid Spit at the same time, but it's still a lot of rolling and checking.

I think it would probably improve the fun factor if you changed Acid Spit to being a "skull on every die = no defense" like the Wyvern's Venomous Sting. This way you aren't rolling twice for every single 3 skull attack. It would be a little weaker than the current version in terms of output against squads especially if you manage to get on higher ground.

Third, as a clarification, is Thri-Kreen Assault supposed to allow for a Shi-Tarkas to attack an non-adjacent enemy if engaged? The way its currently worded "Shi-Tarkas may add 1 to her Range when attacking that figure" doesn't allow that. The wording "in addition" earlier in the power almost sounds like you want it to be able to attack an enemy two spaces away while still engaged. I would reword it regardless of how you want the mechanics to work, because the words "in addition" in front of the reader's face stand out more than the part of the rulebook that says you can't attack someone if you are adjacent to an enemy.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards