Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!
Pushing Back the Marro Swarm: A 3-6 player scenario

This is a scenario I have designed for an upcomming epic scale game day. I hope to have at least 4 players for this first run. I'm not sure when I will get a chance to get this scenario played because I have a 4 week old baby so time is precious. Plus getting 3 other players together for what should be a fairly lengthy (3hrs+) game might me a challenge for me as well. In any case if all goes well I will post here with details and pics. In fact I will definately build a map for this scenario over the coming week(s) even if just for the fun of it so I will post pics of that for sure.

Please have a look at the scenario below and let me know what you think. Don't be shy, I welcome your criticisms. I look forward to your feedback.

Pushing Back the Marro Swarm

Utgarís Marro swarm has been growing steadily for several years expanding the marshes and bringing the salty waters of the sea mixed with their own disgusting bile further and further inland. There seems to be no limit to their expansion as the beasts known as the Marro Hives burrow through just about anything but solid rock. The channels they create beneath the ground brings the sea water inland and combined with their own excretions creates a swampy wasteland that seems to breed death and disease as well as the Marro swarm.

It is known that the beast known as the Marro Hive is only an extension of a larger creature deep in the ground. Some speculate that each Hive is only a part of a larger creature with itís Ďbrainí deep in the ground and with many Ďarmsí leading to the surface in the form of what we call the Marro Hive. There are even rumours that there is in fact only one Hive creature with many arms spread throughout the swamps and wetlands of Valhalla. Jandarís advisers suspect that the latter is very unlikely but there is little difference as these beasts are of an extraordinary intelligence and have a psychic link which allows them to act as one and to control the minds of their offspring from great distances.

Ullarís scouts have returned from a mission into the ever expanding swamplands moving inland from the coast. They have located a new Marro breeding ground with at least 4 Hiveís already at the surface. Jandar and his allies have decided to organize a large joint strike against this new breeding ground before the Marro establish a foothold and begin to expand their festering swamp further inland.

3-6 players
Requires Multiple Swarm of the Marro master sets (SotM). I will be using 6+ Sotm as well as 4-6 Ticalla Jungle sets and a few custom jungle ruins made from those in the Rise of the Valkyrie master set (RotV) which can be used in their place.

Player 1ís Goal: As the controller ofThe Marro Player 1ís goal is to wipe out all the opposing troops in order to establish an unmoveable foothold in this new part of the Marro swamp.
Player 1ís army must consist entirely of Marro and Marro related army cards. Player 1 will have points equal to the combined points of Players 2-5. Player 1 will also have control of the special Marro Hive army cards (details below) which do not count against the point total.
Special Marro army placement rules: The Marro player must deploy the Marro army first. The Marro player must place all of his/her figures next to any of the Marro Hives on the map. If all spaces adjacent to the Hives are filled the Marro player may place the rest of the figures next to any of his/her figures already on the map. There is no limit to how far from a Hive a figure is placed as long as all the spaces next to the Hiveís are filled and each figure is next to another figure in the Marro army.

Players 2-6ís Goals: As the controllers of the Joint Strike force Players 2-5 have the shared goal of destroying all of the Marro Hives on the surface.
Players 2-5ís armies each be primarily made of units from one of the 5 allied generals (Jandar, Ullar, Vydar, Einar, and Aquilla) and cannot contain any units from either Utgar or Valkrill.
Player 2ís army is 600 points and must be made up primarily of Jandar army cards.
Players 3-6ís armies are 500 points and must pick one of the other allied generals (not Jandar) as the core of their army.
The goal is for each of the allied armies to be from a different general and also for each army to be built around a visible theme (such as evles, or scouts, or knights, or soulborgs) limited by the playersí discretions and available resources (figures).
After the Marro army has been placed on the map, each Alliance player must deploy their armies in separate start zones which are the four 24 hex and one 32 hex stone outcroppings around the edges of the map. The allied players must decide amongst themselves which start zone each player will use.

Special Rules:

Marro Hive Foothold. For the purposes of this scenario consider each Hive to be uncommon instead of unique. Each Hive should have its own card and there should be a way of identifying which card belongs to which Hive, primarily for the purposes of tracking hits. Also, ignore the special powers text on the cards, instead use the special powers described below. There should be 2 more Hives than there are players in the game (so for a 4 player game you will need 6 hives).
When building a map for this scenario, place the Hives such that they are within 12 clear sight spaces of at least one other Marro Hive and all Marro Hives can be linked to all other Marro Hives by a series of Hives within 12 clear sight spaces of each other.

Marro Hive Mind Link. For the purposes of this scenario ignore the special powers written on the Marro Hive Army card and instead use the special powers described bellow. Other than being Uncommon instead of Unique all other information on the Marro Hive Army card remains the same.
Hive Psychic Link
After revealing an order marker on this Army Card you may take a turn with either this Marro Hive or any other Marro Hive that you control that is within 12 clear sight spaces of this Marro Hive, or any Marro Hive which can be linked to this Marro Hive by a series of Hives within 12 clear sight spaces of each other.
Psychic Link Hive Mind
You may take a turn with any small or medium common Marro Squad you control before taking a turn with Marro Hive. Any figure that is taking a turn must be within 12 clear sight spaces of this Marro Hive, or any Marro Hive which can be linked to this Marro Hive by a series of Hives within 12 clear sight spaces of each other, prior to its movement.
Psychic Link Marro Rebirth
After taking a turn with Marro Hive, you may roll the 20 sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, you may place any previously destroyed common Marro Squad figure from your army on an empty space adjacent to this Marro Hive, or any Marro Hive which can be linked to this Marro Hive by a series of Hives within 12 clear sight spaces of each other.

SEE YOU @ GEN CON 2014!
Old September 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Pushing Back the Marro Swarm: A 3-6 player scenario

I am also considering adding another power to the Marro Hive called Psychic Link Hive Rebirth which allows you to skip all your turns for the round and replace a Marro Hive which has been destroyed. You will have to have placed all of your order markers on the same Marro Hive Army Card and the Hive you want to replace has to be (have been) within 12 clear sight spaces of this Marro Hive, or any Marro Hive which can be linked to this Marro Hive by a series of Hives within 12 clear sight spaces of each other.

While I'm writing this I'm wondering what you think of the wording of my rewritten special powers. I feel that they are clear and am very pleased with the way I have worded the Mind Link power as it applies to all the special abilities. That being said I know what my intention is but to others it may be as clear as mud.
Any thoughts in that regard would be welcome.

SEE YOU @ GEN CON 2014!

Last edited by Eirikr; September 26th, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I like these sorts of scenarios. They are fun, and I enjoy the cooperative nature of working together against a common enemy. The biggest problem I see with the scenario is that Player 1 having points equal to the sum of the remaining players will not be adequate since Player 1 will get one OM per 3-5 OM's of the other team. So player one will take a turn, then get pounded on for five turns with no chance to retaliate. I've played games with two players against one. These games are huge landslide victories unless the single player gets two sets of OM's.

I think the Mind Link powers are a neat addition to allow Marro to be used over a large battlefield with the Hives. I think the wording of the Psychic Link powers are clear enough...it took me a few seconds to realize what you meant by "...can be linked to this Marro Hive by a series of Hives within 12..." Maybe the wording might be simpler if it said something like, "...a chain of Hives within 12 spaces of each other..."

The Hive Rebirth power...eh, I'm not sure that would work. I'm envisioning the Hive player respawning a Hive at one end of the map in exchange for all his turns. While the other players run their figures over to attack this new hive, the player spends the next round to respawn a Hive at a new corner of the map. Of course, this probably can't go on for long if the Marro army has mostly been destroyed.

"THE HIVE CLUSTER IS UNDER ATTACK"
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
the Teirible

I'm thinking you are likely correct in your observation that the Marro player will be quickly overwhelmed by the Alliance players. The Marro player does have more points than the combined opponents since he has all the improved Marro Hives for free. I suspect that in a 3 player game he might fare well enough given that advantage and the order marker flexability since the Hives can influence pretty much the whole map.

Maybe with 4-5 players make the Marro Rebirth automatic, no need to roll a 13 or better just get a figure back each turn. With 6 players allow him to rebirth twice.

I was considering using precisely your wording for the psychic link and while it would work perfectly for my purposes it might be a little ambiguous. I'm probably over thinking it and should go with the simpler wording even if it is not quite as specific.

I was also thinking the same as you about the Hive Rebirth power. I see it dragging the game out and since it is a very big map it could give the Marro player a significant advantage it could also result in very long drawn out games. Not necessarily fun.

Thanks for the feed back.

SEE YOU @ GEN CON 2014!
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:01 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I still think that 3-5 OM's versus 1 OM is going to be insurmountable for the Marro player, even with extra points. Adding more points will probably just prolong the inevitable...I could be wrong, since being able to control basically any figure on the board with the mind link kind of changes it. But imagine a normal 1 vs 1 game. Except that player one gets one turn, and then player two gets 4 turns. It won't last long.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios