Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old September 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Wargame with Plastic Army Men?

Now, unfourtunately, this game will not feature vehicles as of now.

I want something like heroscape, but without spaces and without luck (<A major flaw with heroscape).

The units I currently have are: bazooka guy, heavy machine gunner, submachine gunner, rifleman, scout, officer (or medic) and sniper.

I like the order marker system. I'll use that.

Movement would probably be done with a ruler or a string or whatever.

However, combat. I DO NOT WANT ANY LUCK except for the general landing area of artillery shells.

Any idea for no-luck combat? I don't want one-shot, one kill 100% accuracy. I also don't want actually throwing rocks or **** to kill army men. I need help with the combat.

The game will be squadbased.

To Be Continued...
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
The trouble is... Combat is luck based... or skill based if you like.

To be luck free you could have a combat results table:

The table would compare attack value to defense value.

75% higher of AV to DV = death to defender
higher AV to DV = wounded (AV and DV halved)
= AV to DV = no result
lower AV to DV = attacker wounded (AV and DV halved)
75% lower AV to DV = death to attacker

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Savage
The trouble is... Combat is luck based... or skill based if you like.

To be luck free you could have a combat results table:

The table would compare attack value to defense value.

75% higher of AV to DV = death to defender
higher AV to DV = wounded (AV and DV halved)
= AV to DV = no result
lower AV to DV = attacker wounded (AV and DV halved)
75% lower AV to DV = death to attacker
*sigh* Ok, I think I got it. Moving AND attacking reduces your chances of hitting something. Only attacking is like wait and fire, your accuracy goes up, but you can't move. and only moving makes you move farther, but you can't attack.

There will be two ranges, long range and short range. short range will result in higher accuracy. and long range will diminish that accuracy. Some units will have shorter and longer ranges, and some will even be better at long range (Like a sniper or artillery cannon).

Unfourtunately, the luck will have to be there. *sigh*

Now, there will be units that enhance others. Like a scout and a sniper, or officer and infantry.

Movement will be with a string/ruler.

To Be Continued...
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
The simplest rules would be "Little Wars" by H.G. Wells (yes, THAT Wells). All you need is a projectile firing cannon.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
The simplest rules would be "Little Wars" by H.G. Wells (yes, THAT Wells). All you need is a projectile firing cannon.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Wargame with Plastic Army Men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
Now, unfourtunately, this game will not feature vehicles as of now.

I want something like heroscape, but without spaces and without luck (<A major flaw with heroscape).

The units I currently have are: bazooka guy, heavy machine gunner, submachine gunner, rifleman, scout, officer (or medic) and sniper.

I like the order marker system. I'll use that.

Movement would probably be done with a ruler or a string or whatever.

However, combat. I DO NOT WANT ANY LUCK except for the general landing area of artillery shells.

Any idea for no-luck combat? I don't want one-shot, one kill 100% accuracy. I also don't want actually throwing rocks or feldercarb to kill army men. I need help with the combat.

The game will be squadbased.

To Be Continued...
Have you actually played any squad level war games? There are many on the market and these could provide a basis for you to build upon. But I doubt you will find any system where there is no luck. On the battlefield, often the difference between living or being killed is a matter of luck/fate/destiny/Divine Providence or whatever else you may choose to call it. Most games have some sort of attack factor with associated modifiers while the defender has some defensive factor with associated modifiers. Together these give you the odds of a hit (often expressed as a percentage). You roll percentile dice (typically two 10 sided with one die representing the tens and the other the ones) and look up the result on a "To Hit" table, and then cross reference with a "Damage" table.

Bottom line is, I don't think you will ever create a realistic squad level or even man level game that does not include luck. Even if you used a system like "Gunslinger" and applied it to each and every figure ( ) there will be a element of luck (a roll of the dice).

I also think that using order markers would be a terrible way to simulate squad level WWII infantry combat.

Save yourself some trouble and just go buy Tide of Iron. I think it has nearly all the elements you are looking for, except the "absolutely no luck" part.
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
There is a game called War PIGs that has some simple war game rules using plastic army men. It's pretty fun but it does have dice rolling. Luck adds the element of chaos that is present in all combat situations. The ability of a good player is to mitigate the elements of 'bad' luck while capitalizing on the elements of 'good' luck.

Newb.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
has been BANNED

Ok, if this doesn't work I guess i'll have to spend my heroscape money on rulebooks/other games. here is an example.

Rifleman

Move: 9 inches

Move with attack: 4.5 inches and -10% accuracy

Range: 12 inches

Attacks per turn: 1

70%-----------------50%
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 inches

Short Range

Long Range
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Wargame with Plastic Army Men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Super Atheist
I want something like heroscape, but... without luck (<A major flaw with heroscape).
What is wrong with you? Luck is the best part of HS! (This is coming from someone who the nearest thing to a wargame he'd ever played before HS is TCGs). Having a war game with no luck is like having... a bad war game!

(To simile school for me!)
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
try this:

http://www.thortrains.net/armymen/newpic04/fpgame1.html

And there are dozens like it. This is hardly a new idea so there's not much point in reinventing the wheel.

This thread is sort of like saying, "I want to invent a new game that uses plastic figures of different heroes and fighting forces from different times and planets that is played on a hexagonal based battlefield that may be freely constructed into an almost infinite number of maps."
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith
"I want to invent a new game that uses plastic figures of different heroes and fighting forces from different times and planets that is played on a hexagonal based battlefield that may be freely constructed into an almost infinite number of maps."
That's crazy talk, sir.

EDIT: Ah, here's what I wanted to post.

A while back I got a set of small army figs, two armies, each came with their own flag. I devised a game sort of like capture the flag. You used two dice, each with different functions. I was like 12 at the time, I'm pretty impressed that I came up with it.

OH! I found the rules, and I'm going to take some pictures.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM

nonexistantnonexister has disabled reputation
Combat is a mix of luck and skill, the skill part is the attck number, and the dice make the luck part.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games