Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old August 24th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: What General would each Planeswalker follow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
My current WIP customs look like this:

Gideon: Einar (Disciplined soldier)
Jace: Vydar (Tricky mind mage)
Nissa: Ullar (Green elf)
Chandra: Utgar (Chaos, emotion, fire. This was a tough call.)
Liliana: Valkrill (She may summon undead, but her power stems from a deal with a demon, and corruption and death are her main weapons.)
Questions (as a non-Magic player)

Is White in Magic linked to honor, valiancy, etc. (Jandar)? Or more to discipline and domination (Einar)?

Is Liliana and Black linked to a "let the world burn; destruction is the only goal" attitude (Valkrill)? Or to a desire to subject all things to our evil power (Utgar)?
White is exemplified by "community." The needs of the many over the needs of the few. A person that breaks the rules to do what's right isn't White, but neither is someone who lays down the law for purely power-hungry reasons. I'd err on the side of Jandar, but I'd say both generals are predominantly White.

Black is exemplified by "ambition." To accomplish your goals no matter who or what stands in your way. As such, I think it's a lot closer to Utgar than Valkrill; destruction is a tool for Black, not an end. Liliana is ambition personified - her demonic pacts were to amass power, and her current goal is to break those deals with the power she's gained.
Old August 24th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Thank you, johnny, that does make me think that Liliana would be Utgar. Gideon sounds like a harder call--is he more about being Valiant or Disciplined? Is empire-building (Einar) part of what makes him tick?

Chandra seems like a tough call as well. Utgar is pretty much evil. It's not just chaos or emotion. Is she evil?

Some of these don't translate easily into Scape terms, but it's nice to try. Thanks for helping out those of us who don't do Magic.
Old August 24th, 2015, 03:16 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Thank you, johnny, that does make me think that Liliana would be Utgar. Gideon sounds like a harder call--is he more about being Valiant or Disciplined? Is empire-building (Einar) part of what makes him tick?

Chandra seems like a tough call as well. Utgar is pretty much evil. It's not just chaos or emotion. Is she evil?

Some of these don't translate easily into Scape terms, but it's nice to try. Thanks for helping out those of us who don't do Magic.
Chandra does not fit into any, IMO. She chaotic neutral. Does what she needs to do to survive, but doesn't mind if she burns down a few city blocks in the process.

Gideon is more... resolute, really. His character is kind of all over the place, mostly seems to show up as a protector.

I only put Lily as Valkrill because the only demons we have in HS fight for Valkrill, and I put Chandra in Utgar.
Old August 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Gideon as protector makes me think of Jandar.

Chandra as a survivor willing to leave charred losses behind does have an Utgar (or Vydar) kind of feeling to it.

From what Johnny said, I think Liliana is more like the Utgar side of Scape, but I understand your choice.
Old August 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

In my experience Chandra is firmly on the side of good. She's a wildcard, certainly, and self-motivated above all else, but her core goals are freedom and action. Do what you want when you want and how you want. She generally avoids innocent casualties (though she's not shy about property damage) and fights against big bad evil dudes.

Recently they've been playing up two halves of Gideon - vigilante acts (I will fight for justice, the system is too slow for me!) and responsibility (joining armies, leading soldiers, carrying the burden of all). I feel like he's definitely more in the individualistic side, so yeah, I'm feeling Jandar.
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thank you, johnny, . . . Some of these don't translate easily into Scape terms, but it's nice to try. Thanks for helping out those of us who don't do Magic.
I completely agree with you 1Mmirg. As one who also does *NOT* do magic, this thread has been very helpful to me in understanding the back story of this new game and realizing that there is more to the personality of even a fictional character than just picking a matching color.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 25th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'm of the mindset that whether porting scape into AotP or the other way around the Marvel route is the way to go.

Keep the colours the colours and the generals the generals. In fact if I ever decided to make the games one, I will likley make up custom cards for the Planeswalkers and Summons using the Hex card (I love that design) but use the 5 magic colours.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Adrian Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
In my experience Chandra is firmly on the side of good. She's a wildcard, certainly, and self-motivated above all else, but her core goals are freedom and action. Do what you want when you want and how you want. She generally avoids innocent casualties (though she's not shy about property damage) and fights against big bad evil dudes.

Recently they've been playing up two halves of Gideon - vigilante acts (I will fight for justice, the system is too slow for me!) and responsibility (joining armies, leading soldiers, carrying the burden of all). I feel like he's definitely more in the individualistic side, so yeah, I'm feeling Jandar.
Sounds like there isn't a clear fit for Chandra. Though from what you're saying, I wonder if Aquilla isn't the way to go, if she is clearly good, but not in the most traditional sense.

So, based on what I've heard I'm thinking along these lines:

Gideon: Jandar (Valiant/Protector)
Jace: Vydar (Tricky)
Nissa: Ullar (Nature/Elf)
Chandra: Aquilla (Good at the core, but wild, naturalistic)
Liliana: Utgar (Ambitious, power-hungry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I'm of the mindset that whether porting scape into AotP or the other way around the Marvel route is the way to go.

Keep the colours the colours and the generals the generals. In fact if I ever decided to make the games one, I will likley make up custom cards for the Planeswalkers and Summons using the Hex card (I love that design) but use the 5 magic colours.
You're likely right on, wriggz, but I've enjoyed learning more about these characters and how they might fit, if I ever want to blend them.
Old August 25th, 2015, 10:58 AM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

This honestly is probably the best way to go, as we'll start seeing characters like Sorin Markov, who is seemingly an evil vampire, is driven completely by the need to protect the multiverse (gave the humans on his plane the power to fight back against his own family to keep balance). Or Garruk, who last I saw was turned from a protector of nature to a crazed, primal, Planewalker-hunting shell of himself. While one half of their personalities easily fit a generals (Sorin/Utgar, Garruk/Aquilla) their "secondary nature" does not befit those generals.

Tezzeret is also a great example. A simple artificer, but is most known for his time being mind controlled to commit evil acts under the will of Nicol Bolas, who is 110% Grade-A Utgar material. Honestly he could probably usurp Utgar without any problem.
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
You're likely right on, wriggz, but I've enjoyed learning more about these characters and how they might fit, if I ever want to blend them.
Agreed, There is some depth here that can really add to the world we already know and love.

Oddly, the best way of resolving the Generals may actually be to make them Planeswalkers, with the units they summon specific to them. Utgar and Valkrill become Black, Jandar and maybe Einar as white, Ullar as Green, Vydar as Blue/Colourless, and Aquilla as Red.

It is much easier trying to imagine the personality of the various generals and what colour they would follow, rather than trying to fit these Planeswalkers into one general. I think the magic history is too rich (like Superhero lore). Sure Superman is totally Jandar, but what about Ironman? Too much depth of character to pigion hole them.

Now if we had ArchKyrie Figures that would be awesome!

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, There is some depth here that can really add to the world we already know and love.

Oddly, the best way of resolving the Generals may actually be to make them Planeswalkers, with the units they summon specific to them. Utgar and Valkrill become Black, Jandar and maybe Einar as white, Ullar as Green, Vydar as Blue/Colourless, and Aquilla as Red.

It is much easier trying to imagine the personality of the various generals and what colour they would follow, rather than trying to fit these Planeswalkers into one general. I think the magic history is too rich (like Superhero lore). Sure Superman is totally Jandar, but what about Ironman? Too much depth of character to pigion hole them.

Now if we had ArchKyrie Figures that would be awesome!
When pulling HS into MTG it becomes just as difficult. The Color Pie of MTG is the most holy artifact for the game designers. Every color has a list of what it can do, and what it cannot from mechanics to personalities to creatures. Each color has an iconic creature type that will almost never be seen in a different color (white - angels, blue - sphinxes, green - hydras, red - goblins, black - zombies & demons). Not only are creatures pigeonholed, but entire play styles are directly tied to color choices (for instance, counter magic is entirely blue, and the best kill spells are in black).

You couldn't just say X general is the same as Y color, it would need to be on a figure-by-figure basis. Aquilla is a great example. While dwarves in MTG are in fact red, nothing else in Aquilla's army would fit in red. Most, if not all, would be green.
Old August 27th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have ZERO PhotoShop or Graphic-Arts abilities or talents, so I am just patiently waiting for someone to do this, knowing full well that it would be subject to change as play-testing tried to balance out the powers.

I don't think the C3V Team wants to touch this Porting AotP -to- HS Project, because they simply have TOO much already on their plate in trying to release another 'Classic-esque Wave' in the near future with the units that have already been announced, but not yet released.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender