Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:34 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Japanese Anime Updates

There have been a few anime discussions here and there on the site, but no central place where you can easily find other opinions, and most importantly updates on anime release and production. So here are a few at this time and place I have to mention, and some personal observations and experiences as well. Some of my news may be old, since I'm old school and often out of the loop, so have mercy and tell me what you know!

1. Just picked up Blue Submarine No. 6 at the Cold Wars Convention (Lancaster, PA), because I remembered that it had gotten good comments in The Anime Encyclopedia (Second Edition). What's a wargame miniatures convention (or any other type of event) without anime? Why, a day without sinshine! After watching the two hour "series" (its really a movie) I recalled that I'd seen the very ending once years ago (probably on Adult Swim back in the days when Anime was king there), and thought it very confusing. Now I have reached enlightenment and closure! PS: It rocks!

2. It seems that the final season of Inu Yasha will never come out on disk--you can only see it online. This is because they changed the ending, and manga goddess Ms. Takahashi didn't like it. Others have recounted to me that they had great difficulty bootlegging it to disk, with some results working and some not. I'm watching it now for my first time, and already in early episodes (of 27 in the TV season) one character has been changed and one has died!

3. I started a thread about LUM not being available easily. It is, but the reason the contract is up with Animego is that it was going to be redone. However, now it seems that the TV distribution deal is falling through, and it might not happen. So I finally got to see Movie Five "The Final Chapter," which gives some ending to it (sort of), and I really enjoyed it, after waiting so long to view it.

4. The guy I bought from in #1 above was my age (old enough to know better) and upgrading to Blue Ray. Will anime really become available in the new format? You can always get second hand bargains when someone is upgrading, although in the past I've gotten old casettes when others were going to DVD. Haven't moved on to Blue Ray or High Def myself.

Last edited by chas; March 13th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Japanese Anime Updates

I just attended Cold Wars Con down in Lancaster, PA (so I'm not mentioning New York City in this post at all), attending a discussion about The Greatest Warrior Women In History. Afterward, I walked up to the guy who presented on Joan of Arc, and told him I knew of a connection between The Maid and Japanese Anime. Boy, was he surprised. Anyone know what it is? Hint: The Anime in question is [B]Infinite Stratos.[/B]

(Edit: The Answer)

Charlotte Dunois, the French character, is named after the Duke who supported Joan historically.

Last edited by chas; December 19th, 2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:10 AM

The first Japanese Maid Cafe has just opened up here in NYC, and I've been there twice! Lots of fun.
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:11 AM

I'm currently watching Inu Yasha: The Last Act. This has been out for a year or two, but I just got it. I had heard that Rumiko Takahashi had not liked it or allowed it to be released, but when it started streaming on Adult Swim just a week or two ago, I sprang into action. The first half (Episodes 1-13) had some continuing characters die, get badly wounded, and etc. I'm loath to finish it, as there won't be any more! RT, possibly the richest woman in Japan, is already producing a new series.
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I started with Star Blazers and Robotech as a youth.
Gantz and Berserk are two adult animes I enjoyed and wish would be finished.
Space Captain Harlock is a favorite(same folks as Star Blazers).
Ronin Warriors is a great kids appropriate series that I really enjoy.
Record of the Lodoss War is good.
Vampire Hunter D is very good, as well as Blood: The Last Vampire.
Cowboy Bepop was fun and the only thing I found close to Firefly.
So many have blended together, those are the main ones that come to mind.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Cowboy Bepop was fun and the only thing I found close to Firefly.
Don't you mean Firefly is the only thing close to Cowboy Bebop?
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I guess. I watched CB after Firefly so my perspective is skewed.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I only say it that way because Cowboy Bebop predates Firefly. I had the opposite experience. Both are awesome in different but similar ways.
Old December 20th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've almost finished the Full Metal Alchemist series. I thoroughly enjoy it.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old December 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM

My Anime Adventures

I also started out watching TV available anime, back when little was available on cassette, and most of that not always dubbed or even subtitled. Then when rental stores sprang up with Anime sections, I started reviewing them on paper for myself, just so I didn't end up renting the same cassettes over and over.

Since then I assembled a very large collection on DVD, since I've yet to explore Netflix or much streaming works. I also have a small library of books on anime and manga. And of course Adult Swim is available on Cartoon Channel (I have Time Warner Cable), although Toonami is not what it used to be. And I ought to know--I used to stay up late nights watching it, although with less anime on these days, I more often watch it On Demand, after viewing the weekly offerings on Cutting Edge, the TWC anime channel,which these days has much more to offer.

Anime runs the entire spectrum from awful to art! I once heard that animation allows the Japanese to express themselves without having to try and compete with Hollywood! I'm sure that's exaggerated. But the extras on the old Shogun DVD set on that groundbreaking production highlight many of the differences in Japanese and American film and TV production, at least back then.

The Japanese (and Chinese and Indians) are the only major cultures left that express pantheistic sensibilities in modern times in popular media. And I think the Old Religion has a lot to offer us, that has become lost or blurred in the younger, more modern monotheistic religions. As an old Seeker from the 1960s, I've got Jewish cultural roots, went through a Christian phase during college when I got to know some wonderful people in that tradition, studied in an semi-Islamic tradition, and visited some New Age centers as well. I've also looked at a couple of Wiccan streams. As an old fogey, I think Buddhism is probably the most mature religion, but less acessible to younger folks. But hey, anything that connects you to a Higher Plane feeds you. Good anime does that for me.

Visually, now that I have a 55" TV, I can see wonderful art work in the backgrounds of some of my favorites in detail not previously open to me (except at the movie theater). Much of it is by Koreans, who do the grunt work. Being able to manipulate the images helps also with rewinding, changing the speed of presentation, zooming, etc.

Will American animation and Japanese anime continue to merge together? Here in New York City, I can visit the Kinokunaya Japanese book store, a major source which presents many aspects of that culture. Image Anime, on of the last brick and mortar anime stores, also remains, since I still don't buy directly online much. I have friends who sometimes do that for me. Because I still think giving out my credit card info over the internet or doing my banking or bill paying there is still insane, given the constant hacking scandals that occur with such frequency. When I used to teach orientation classes in NYC hospitals, I helped people learn how to make up a more secure password, but still...

Last edited by chas; December 21st, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old December 21st, 2014, 08:47 AM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas
I once heard that animation allows the Japanese to express themselves without having to try and compete with Hollywood! I'm sure that's exaggerated.
I don't think so. Some of the anime I've seen is extremely moving . I myself believe that some anime is the best animated stuff out there because they seem to be so adept at working emotion into their shows that feels real. Unlike so much of the american cartoons these days that nothing more then mindless drivel.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old December 21st, 2014, 09:05 AM

Marrowick,

Couldn't agree with you more! Sorry if I wasn't clear; I meant compete with Hollywood's BUDGET. (If I didn't think anime was moving, I wouldn't have set this thread up).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies