Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old June 6th, 2017, 05:16 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Omnicron Playground - 6/5/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
My attempt at a competitive "castle" map:

Omnicron Playground
Requires: 1 RotV, 2 TJ, 1 FotA

Uses 10 Glyphs of Zawit (C3V Glyphs), Glyph of Astrid, and the Glyph of Thorian
- Glyphs of Zawit represted by the Random Power Glyphs
Sorry to burst your bubble...but I'll just be frank with you and say, there is no way this is a Competitve map, and no tournament director would allow this in the map pool for a tournament. That said, it looks like a lot of fun for a casual game where you do castle defense or some sort of scenario where you have to conquer the bosses/monsters on each level.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 6th, 2017, 11:47 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:

Omnicron Playground

Sorry to burst your bubble...but I'll just be frank with you and say, there is no way this is a Competitve map, and no tournament director would allow this in the map pool for a tournament. That said, it looks like a lot of fun for a casual game where you do castle defense or some sort of scenario where you have to conquer the bosses/monsters on each level.
Is it too many layers, the Glyphs, not enough space for big figures without flying like Grimnak? All of that?

I think the biggest problem with the Glyphs is yes it allows figures to get from the top to the bottom faster the problem is it's at the end of each round so it would take forever to get everyone up there. Could lead to some lengthy games.

There's definitely potential and I'm set on making a competitive castle map.
Old June 6th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
There's definitely potential and I'm set on making a competitive castle map.
I don't like sounding so cold-hearted, or blunt it's just that there really is NO potential here. The map design is really a fun idea, but the very same design makes it broken for tournament play. You cannot play a competitively balanced game on this map. It's as if you're trying to push up against the Empire State Building and saying that with enough pushing you can tip it over eventually. Just not possible. The core design or your map is a tiered castle...but even if it was only 1 level of castle it would still be broken. Fliers have too much of an advantage with this extreme height on these maps and there are innumerable competitive builds you could make with Competitve figures that have the flying ability that would dominate any other build that did not have a way to counter that. Simply put, competitively balanced maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.). Also, double spaced figures can't access ladders and therefore would be neutered almost completely. JUST these two aspects of this map make it broken...and adding 10 Zawits does not resolve that issue either. Again, this map is cool, it's fun and intuitive...and I think there could and would be a lot of fun games to be played on this map with all kinds of different figures...BUT maps with designs like this are inherently broken for tournament play. Just trust me on this one.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 6th, 2017, 02:35 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Does Thorian and Attack +1 not do anything to draw the fight to level 1? Any thing without flying can quickly get undercover and battle it out down there? What's the point of flying to the top if the fight is at the bottom?

And there's always potential use for the Wind Glyph...
Old June 6th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Does Thorian and Attack +1 not do anything to draw the fight to level 1? Any thing without flying can quickly get undercover and battle it out down there? What's the point of flying to the top if the fight is at the bottom?

And there's always potential use for the Wind Glyph...
Those 3 Glyphs in and of themselves are easily the most imbalanced Glyphs for competitve tournament play. You will almost never see competitive Tournament directors allow those Glyphs in the Glyph pool. They do not help the map. Again if they are on the bottom and the conflict is there...then the rest of the map doesn't get used and then it is not a balanced map. And if one army has rats, for example, and the other is Fliers and the rats hold the wind glyph, then the flier army is extremely at a disadvantage and not competitively balanced. Maps should foster development and use for all types of armies. Glyphs are to assist and creat interesting combat points, not to determine the outcome. A wind glyph against a flier army or a thorian glyph against a ranged army will almost assuredly end in the loss for that army. Those are not fun games. Like I said, Maps with extreme height like this and the use of castles are fundamentally flawed. Adding glyphs does not fix the competitiveness. This is a casual or scenario map, not competitive....I hate to break it to you so bluntly...but that's just the fact of the matter.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 6th, 2017, 05:07 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

@heroscaper2010 Sir H is right... your map is quite awesome and I'm sure I'd have a blast playing on it but for reasons mentioned above it's too imbalanced for competitive play.

It does seem like a wicked map to play a casual game with scenario rules though (heavy wind and rain = flying ability nulled + reduced range? ... just a thought).

keep up the map building!
Old June 6th, 2017, 06:14 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:

Omnicron Playground

This a great map design! Very creative! For the Glyph of Zawit - since there are 10 of them and they are all "end of round" - who gets to place figures first? Is that something where if something is supposed to happen simultaneously, both players roll the 20-sided die? Would you roll once per player or for each event of teleportation? Could get confusing and require additional clarification.

I'd write this up as a 'scenario' game and you could alter the teleport rules a bit to make it happen either more often (not end of round) or more randomly.

Maybe move the teleporters underneath cover so that range that has already reach the top doesn't just pick off people waiting to get up to them.
Old June 7th, 2017, 12:22 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Interesting idea to use a lot of Glyphs of Zawit to try to balance out the map. Personally, though, I'm not in love with that concept, especially from a competitive standpoint. It's too gimmicky for my taste, and a strong ranged hero (I'm looking at you, Q9) can pop to the top easily and pick off approaching squaddies who are limited to how many they can move up at a time. I think it makes for a cool scenario, but competitively I think this concept in particular falls short.

The other issue with the map (that hasn't been pointed out) are the levels - creating areas that are completely inaccessible to a lot of Huge figures really hurts the map. You want to keep it open and friendly to as many types of armies as possible. As it is, it's a nightmare for someone running Grimnak, TKN, etc.

All that said, I think it's cool that you want to make a competitive castle map. Like Sir H, I don't think this one will be that map without some super extreme renovations (basically, so extreme that it's hardly the same map anymore). But I do think you should keep trying! It's a great quest that many have attempted, and I've seen some good maps that have tried, but I don't think I've yet seen one that I would 100% recommend as tournament worthy yet. (Well, maybe one, but I'd have to dig it up and playtest it more cause it's been a while). You'll hit a lot of roadblocks on your way, but I do think it can be done and would love to see someone do it!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; July 9th, 2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Got some time to make some slight edits to Sabertooth Jungle:

Sabertooth Jungle 4.3
Requires: 1 BftU, 2 TT, 1 TJ

Special Build Instructions (also stated at the bottom of the .pdf):
- All of the Outcrop bases are used as Shadow hexes (no Outcrops)
- 4 of the 6 1-hex Glacier Mountain bases are used as Ice hexes (no Glacier Mountains)

Previous Version:

Edit Notes:
-Moved the glyph in a space, added a water space under it
-Moved the Jungle bush to coincide with the glyph
-Removed the 1-hex Dungeon tile that was on Level 1 next to the Bush and placed it on Level 2

These edits allow Melee figures to attack the glyph with height. In the previous version, Rats coming from the right side of their start zone could prevent figures from getting to the glyph. That's fixed with these edits. Since figures have to stop on glyphs anyways, I added the water spaces under them, allowing figures with water tunnel to get from one glyph to the other in two turns. The Dungeon Level 2 1-hex counters the Level 2 Snow 1-hex across from it next to the Jungle tree. It does bring the glyphs within 6 spaces of the Level 3 Snow 2-hexes but I don't think this is too big of a deal - some of the Line of Sight is blocked looking to the right glyph.

Last edited by Sheep; July 3rd, 2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:10 PM

Re: HS2010's Map Thread - Riot - 7/3/2017

New map!

Riot
Requires: 2 M:tCB, 1 RttFF, 1 VW

Special Build Instructions (also stated at the bottom of the .pdf): DO NOT use the upper level hex pieces in the Warehouse Ruins! Remove them before playing on this map.
Old July 4th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Whoa! What a cool map! I find that sometimes the Marvel set is hard to use visually, but I think this map pulls off a very interesting aesthetic, so kudos on that. Line of sight blockers also seem to be used really well, and the lava field is placed in great locations. I also really love how the road weaves in and out of the warehouse ruins. I'd never thought of doing that before!

Any reason for the raised one hex in each start zone? It's interesting, but I wonder if it could be abused as a Raelin perch. But all in all, great map!
Old July 4th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Whoa! What a cool map! I find that sometimes the Marvel set is hard to use visually, but I think this map pulls off a very interesting aesthetic, so kudos on that. Line of sight blockers also seem to be used really well, and the lava field is placed in great locations. I also really love how the road weaves in and out of the warehouse ruins. I'd never thought of doing that before!

Any reason for the raised one hex in each start zone? It's interesting, but I wonder if it could be abused as a Raelin perch. But all in all, great map!
Thank you for the compliments! I really like how it ended up looking also (like a city on fire, hence Riot). I also thought the road through the warehouse ruins was unique and fun. Originally I had the breakable wall in it but the road just wasn't doing what I wanted it to so once I removed that and put the road through it that really opened up the space and created that fun niche. Thanks again!

As far as the 1-hex in the back of the SZ, I've seen that on other maps and it looked interesting, so when I had a couple 1-hexers left over at the end that's what I did with them. They could definitely be removed if it's too big of an issue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios