Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 11th, 2021, 01:15 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

I <3 Embattled Fen.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2021, 03:40 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

My criteria here is largely, “Would I include this map in the ScapeCon map pool?” If it fails this test, it gets a NO. If it passes this test, it gets a YES. Is this a very stringent test? Absolutely. But when I reached out to a few people (Dok, Flash, Superfrog) about restarting/forming a map group, this was the conceptual starting point.

Mole Hills: Big pool of water? Check. Mine-and-yours heights? Check. Bumpy terrain? Check. NO.

Arctic Divide: Memberberry 1: “Remember when the Fellowship tried to go over the Misty Mountains?” Memberberry 2: “Yeah, I ‘member!” NO.

Marr Highway: I actually think this is a really cool map. It has a unique layout, the heights aren’t that close to the starting zone, and the asymmetry works really well here. However, long and narrow maps aren’t good for tourney play. 3 rats can clog the entire middle with no problem, and bonding melee will take half the time just getting to the middle. NO.

Highways and Dieways: This is THE classic map. YES.

Ember Canyon Road: Ember Canyon NO.

The Broken Skyline: I haven’t played this one, but I just can’t see how it could work. Maybe I’ll try it in the future and love it, in which case I’ll nominate it again. For now, I’m comfortable voting no on a map where Airborne so obviously destroys melee. NO.

Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh: Bumpy, narrow passageways with elevated starting zones. NO.

Hot Heights: Arctic Divide on steroids. NO.

Swamp Thing: This is the map that started my crusade against two-hill maps. My opponent and I once opted to play a game of Summoner Wars to decide the outcome of a first-round tourney game on this map after 5 minutes of staring at each other from opposite sides of the board. NO.

Turret Rocks: Same criticism and thought process as The Broken Skyline. NO.

Embattled Fen: Is this map “bad” or imbalanced? No. Is it interesting? I don’t think so. It’s a fine map, but it doesn’t deserve a spot among the “best of the best.” NO.

Road Rampage: This is a weird map; it feels very unpolished. The big heights on the sides really hurt this map. I would love for someone to create a revised edition of this map (or an homage). NO.

Ice Blossom: This map is a mess. NO.

Flash Fire: This map is fine. However, much like Embattled Fen, it just isn’t particularly interesting. NO.

Badru Valley: Gollum: “Up, up, up the stairs we go, until we reach…” nothing, because my opponent went up the other hill. NO.

Ticalla Sunrise: Another classic. I’d be fine not playing on it again (probably because I've played on it more than any other map), but I think it does what it needs to do to be inducted.YES.

Sidewinder: As I said to Dok privately, this map seemed good just because of how much worse every other Tundra map was. NO.

Invasion: This map works for me. It’s not my favorite, but it’s balanced and quite solid. I love the Hive in the center. YES.

Fossil: This is the most subtle two-hill setup you’ll probably ever see. However, it still has the two-hill problem. I also think the sand 7-hex not adjacent to road is a problem; 4th Mass can just cheese the crap out of it. This is a tough one, but at the end of the day, I don’t think it’s one of the best of the best. NO.

Quasatch Playground: “Meh,” the Map. Development? Meh. Charge up the center? Meh. Semi-reasonable side pathing? Meh. Campiness? Meh. Much like Embattled Fen, this one just isn’t very interesting. NO.

Blackroot: This map has some issues. It has a two-hill problem, exacerbated by a much tougher development right than left. The road doesn’t do enough here. NO.

Fulcrum: I think this map is quite good. It’s not the MOST interesting, but I find it interesting enough. Dragons are pretty good, but I’ve beaten dragons with bonding melee on it. I’ve also beaten 10th Regiment on it with bonding melee. It’s probably the best map I’ve ever played with no glyphs on it. YES.

If You Can’t Take the Heat…: Apparently, I can’t take the heat. This map is very bad for bonding melee (#dokhatesgrimnak), and double-space denial is a major issue in the center. Range just pops up left and has instant height. I like that the lava heights are spread out (one of my pet peeves is “Oops All Lava” centers of maps), but it’s just way too tough for melee to traverse this map. NO.

Burial Marsh: I think this map is really solid. It’s not my favorite, but it works well enough. Development is a bit tough, but not impossible. Dragons are good, but can be beaten. YES.

Sirocco: This is quite possibly the most beautiful map I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately, it has a major two-hills problem, exacerbated by a noticeable push to the left. NO.

Stygian Rift: The classic lava map. YES.

Draugur: This map is really good. YES.

Dance of the Dryads: Not my favorite, but still a good map that I’d have no issue including in the map pool (see: GenCon 2019 map pool). YES.

WILL COME BACK LATER:

Fire Isles: Leaning no, but I want to try it again.

Can’t See the Jungle: I only played this once or twice back in the day. No current leaning.

Elswin Plateau: Legitimately not sure. Need to try it again. It looks like a mess, but there are some interesting decisions.

Bad Moon Rising: I finally played on this one for the first time in a decade. It’s quite good, but I want to get a few more games in on it.

Last edited by OEAO; February 5th, 2022 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Yes: 8. No: 20. Unsure: 4.
Old August 11th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

The following 16 maps have received 2 downvotes; thus, they cannot receive 75% upvotes. As such, they are removed from the process.

Mole Hills
Arctic Divide
Marr Highway
Ember Canyon Road
Broken Skyline
Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh
Hot Heights
Swamp Thing
Turret Rocks
Road Rampage
Ice Blossom
Flash Fire
Badru Valley
Sidewinder
Blackroot
Sirocco
Old August 11th, 2021, 04:11 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

The score for the maps that are still in play:

2/2:
Highways and Dieways
Ticalla Sunrise
Invasion
Fulcrum
Bad Moon Rising
Stygian Rift
Draugur
Dance of the Dryads

1/2:
Embattled Fen
Fire Isles
Fossil
Quasatch Playground
If You Can't Take the Heat...
Burial Marsh

1/1:
Can't See the Jungle

0/1:
Elswin Plateau

Last edited by OEAO; August 15th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old August 11th, 2021, 09:31 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Oh. My. Gosh.

Yes, @dok and @OEAO did just do that: review and vote on every BoV map.

Loved reading your thoughts: illuminating, and very funny.

Last edited by Typhon2222; August 12th, 2021 at 01:00 AM.
Old August 12th, 2021, 07:06 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Are the 3 maps made by WoS also up to todays standards?

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old August 12th, 2021, 07:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
In my opinion, all three are good maps. I will not be voting to recall any of those three maps (Remains of Clionesia, Wyrmwalk, and Platypus). I would vote yes on all three if they were nominated today (or if someone else votes to recall one of them).

One of the three is in my top 5 maps of all time.
Old August 12th, 2021, 09:25 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
Quote:
In my opinion, all three are good maps. I will not be voting to recall any of those three maps (Remains of Clionesia, Wyrmwalk, and Platypus). I would vote yes on all three if they were nominated today (or if someone else votes to recall one of them).

Awww, come on, you TEASE! You can't leave us hanging like that!

Which of those 3 is in your top 5? And what are the other 4?
Old August 12th, 2021, 09:48 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I can't spoil it quite yet! In due time, my friend. In due time.
Old August 13th, 2021, 10:02 AM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:

Just thought I'd ask in the off chance they are forgotten along with the mass amount of maps from BoV. I like them all myself and used Remains quite recently.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old August 13th, 2021, 03:32 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I <3 Embattled Fen.
will always hold a spot in my heart. When we first had enough terrain to build a real map, my son and I built Embattled Fen because my then 5 year old thought it looked cool.
Old August 13th, 2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I can't spoil it quite yet! In due time, my friend. In due time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios