Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 8th, 2019, 11:03 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [AotV] Pre-Brainstorming Thread

Definitely preferred the two shorter lines for Fire Line.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:08 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

For the Shadow Zombies, how about using the 7 deadly sins for theme?

PK suggested Reflections of Hate, so I figure why not Reflections of War and Gluttony?

Also, I think I also suggested turning Chandra’s potential Explosion attack into a lobbed fireball, so that that little rule actually gets used again.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; May 9th, 2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:18 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

If Chandra were to receive a Fire Line that can choose two shorter lines instead of one, I would prefer for that to be her only ability. One of the strengths of going with a dual Special Attack approach instead of something else is the simplicity, in my opinion, so if we're putting a twist on a power that already isn't too simple, I'd prefer that to be the highlight of the design.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of adding a Lob requirement to an explosion attack for her. It doesn't exactly hurt, but outside of the cardboard ruins, I can't imagine that there will be any instances where it would apply in the base set. The Lob rules are already rarely used for the Airborne Elite and Jarek Guy, so I don't see a strong argument for including it other than just having more figures use the Lob rules, which I'm not particularly convinced by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

Blazing Firecats (squad of 3) - I hadn't shared this one yet, but part of the design was borrowing First Strike from C3V's Varkaanan Swiftfangs. Reusing a cool power and paying homage to their MtG card as well!

Jace Beleren, Mindmage - As noted, a pairing with the Illusions would be neat here. And if the synergy casts a wider net with Archmages, he could have something like Illusion Supremacy (see Su-Bak-Na) to strengthen his bond.
I like First Strike as a power, and I'm generally a fan of doing more mechanically with Order Markers, so I wouldn't have any complaints about the Firecats using it depending on the draft. As you noted, it does pay homage to Haste on the original Arena of the Planeswalkers card.

I agree that if the illusions can work with a larger subset of figures, Jace should have some kind of power in the vein of Illusion Supremacy to encourage taking the two together. What power he gets would of course be reliant on how the illusions are designed.
Old May 9th, 2019, 02:07 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I’m not opposed to a single or double fireline power, and certainly not opposed to a simple lob-less explosion power either. I can understand not going dual firelines + explosion, but single fireline + explosion is quite accomodating.

First Strike would be cool for the Firecats, although I’d suggest at least 1 other power to help differentiate them from the Swiftfangs. Even plain Water Weakness would help here, helping to lower the cost.

I’m not sure Illusion Supremecy is a good enough sealer, but I can’t think of anything better.

Returning to the zombies, I’m really liking AYP’s idea to bring them back for one turn. It could function similar to the Revenant Tome, even!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 11th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I could go

For the Crypoliths, if we went for a scifi theme for ‘em I was considering they could make a force field of some sort. Maybe all figures inside a 2 space radius of a Crypolith cannot be attacked by normal ranged attacks by figures outside of the force field and cannot attack figures with normal ranged attacks who are outside of the force field. I’m not sure if they should be climbable at that point, but pillars are already dangerous territory for ‘Scape anyway.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

For the Crypoliths, if we went for a scifi theme for ‘em I was considering they could make a force field of some sort. Maybe all figures inside a 2 space radius of a Crypolith cannot be attacked by normal ranged attacks by figures outside of the force field and cannot attack figures with normal ranged attacks who are outside of the force field. I’m not sure if they should be climbable at that point, but pillars are already dangerous territory for ‘Scape anyway.
I like the idea in scenario play but in competitive play you would have to balance this concept around Raelin, which might make it challenging.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

I like the idea in scenario play but in competitive play you would have to balance this concept around Raelin, which might make it challenging.
You’re not wrong, but climbable pillars (with Raelin on them) are worse than a Raelin you can’t shoot at I’d think. Competitive mapmakers, like anyone besides me , would have a new tool to work with as well. Perhaps in even more creative ways than we could ever think of!

I’m certainly not married to the idea, and others are just as welcome to create even better ideas.

~~flameslayer, who’s dipped his hands in a bunch of the brainstorming already

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh, I'm not trying to shoot it down. Believe me, I understand the value of a safe space for brainstorming. I'm just thinking out loud, in response.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:12 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Interesting idea on the cryptoliths. Personally I haven't thought of much else than basically porting them straight over. I look forward to discussing them in their thread, soon.

Here, maybe the OP could add links by each unit to posts in this thread that contain ideas for said unit?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:20 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

First I wanted to say I'm super excited to see this project move forward! I've always hoped that C3V would use at least the painted figures from the Arena sets, and this project is the next best thing; in some ways even more exciting as it lets us all see and maybe even contribute to the development of these figures!

I've had some ideas for the Jace figure and his illusions that I figured I'd share. These are just very preliminary thoughts, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw them out there

I absolutely love the idea of giving the Illusions some form of Archmage synergy as Sonlen is one of my favorite units, but I've always found it difficult to get his points worth out of him. Based on that, I thought of giving the illusions the following abilities and stats:

1 Life
5 Move
6 Range
4 Attack
2 Defense

Projected Image
Either before or after taking a turn with an Archmage you control, you may exchange the space locations of that Archmage with an Illusion you control. If engaged, neither figure will take leaving engagement attacks.

Illusory Attack
When an Illusion inflicts at least one wound on a figure using a normal attack, their turn immediately ends.

I really have no idea how much these would cost, a ball park guess might be 60? Its hard to say just how powerful Illusory Attack would be in practice; they're a squad that will very consistently kill one squad figure or damage one hero, but can't do any damage beyond that. I really like the idea of Illusory Attack as it provides a thematic explanation for giving the Illusions a stronger attack stat (thematically this reflects only one of the Illusions representing the "real" Archmage). Without giving the Illusions stronger offensive capability, I wasn't sure that it would really be worth spending order markers to put them in useful positions for Archmages to use their teleporting ability, and I wanted to avoid a straightforward movement type bonding.

There's some really neat figures in these packs, and I look forward to following this project as it moves forward!
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:14 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

We'll absolutely take any suggestions - I have a feeling thye Illusions and Jace will be some of the most popular, and I'm excited to get them sorted into a pod.
Old May 12th, 2019, 02:29 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm not a fan of making the Cryptoliths climbable pillars. It works, and the Destructible Object angle does help them still feel distinct, but I think that we can do something with less overlap with an existing set (namely the castle).

A forcefield is interesting and very powerful. If we were essentially giving them Thorian Speed, I would think that it should be limited to adjacent spaces only, but that could still be very powerful to the point of dominating maps.

Other directions could be giving figures that begin their turn within 2 clear sight spaces +X move, subtracting Y from the range of figures within Z spaces, or anything else that gives melee a slight boost. We could also go the opposite direction and add a little bit of range, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
First I wanted to say I'm super excited to see this project move forward! I've always hoped that C3V would use at least the painted figures from the Arena sets, and this project is the next best thing; in some ways even more exciting as it lets us all see and maybe even contribute to the development of these figures!

I've had some ideas for the Jace figure and his illusions that I figured I'd share. These are just very preliminary thoughts, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw them out there
Glad to have you aboard! It's always great to see some more thoughts for the various figures in the set.

Quote:
I absolutely love the idea of giving the Illusions some form of Archmage synergy as Sonlen is one of my favorite units, but I've always found it difficult to get his points worth out of him. Based on that, I thought of giving the illusions the following abilities and stats:

1 Life
5 Move
6 Range
4 Attack
2 Defense

Projected Image
Either before or after taking a turn with an Archmage you control, you may exchange the space locations of that Archmage with an Illusion you control. If engaged, neither figure will take leaving engagement attacks.

Illusory Attack
When an Illusion inflicts at least one wound on a figure using a normal attack, their turn immediately ends.
Illusory Attack felt a bit weird initially to me (as did 4 attack), but it actually fits the idea of illusions really well. Getting one solid attack out of them before the illusion is shattered is a very unique idea.

Pricing them is especially difficult because of the movement boost given to Sonlen and (presumably) Jace. Initially it won't be very much, but the ability to swap your Archmage back to your starting zone after dealing some damage to heal back up sounds like it could be a slight problem, especially since you probably don't want more than one illusion in the fray at a time.

Perhaps changing Projected Image to trigger before or after taking a turn with the illusions rather than the Archmage could help.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs