Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!
How to counter Turtle/steamroll/blitz armies

Hey guys, I was discussing in another thread about Turtles(Non-moving high ranged armies with defense boosters such as Raelin), Steamrollers (Slow moving armies that can kill viciously and without mercy), and Blitz armies(Wave after wave armies of sharks, which are very hard to kill, killing machine units). I would like to elaborate on how to counter such armies and shut them down.

Turtles~

Turtles are the bane of any melee army. They generally try and secure highground, centering around a single defensive unit that makes it hard to kill the ranged units. These armies are meant to sit in one spot and kill anything that comes near, forcing whoever is playing against them to attack, no matter what. It is clear that these armies will have a height advantage, making for slow ground units to be obselete for a storm of the height. The best type of army to counter a turtle would be one with figures that can fly/stealth fly. A flight unit ignores the height, thus reaching the enemy and with level ground quicker. Even better would be a stealth flying unit, which will allow for quick disengagements and hasty retreats if needed. Using high move/defensive units that can fly, such as the Einar Imperium or Minions of Utgar would be greatly advantageous against turtles. The EI have a move of five, and they can stealth fly. To add onto that, they also have an attack of three and a double strike capability, which hard presses the opponents dice rolls on defense against a trio of these brutes. MoU have a terrible move of 4, but with a high defense of Six, they can last the flight up height to the enemy turtle. With a Deadly Strike capability, and an attack of two, they can also greatly press a turtles defensive rolls. Atlaga can give out a movement benefit that will help the MoU or EI, and he can kill important figures such as Raelin in a turtle. Explosion attack figures like Zelrig, Mimring, Braxas, or the Deathwalker can also devestate turtles.

Just look for beneficial figures that can give your anti turtle a speed, attack, or defense boost for that charge of the height.

Steamroller~

Steamroller armies are slow moving killing machines that can sweep across the board and devastate anything in its path. They can be quite troublesome to any army, especially if that army is spread out. A good suggestion for killing Steamroller armies, especially since they're slow moving, is to get a ranged unit up to height with enough move to out run, but fire at the steamroller. You can also break up a steamroller by sending in figures such as the Izumi Samurai, or Charos, for they can move fast, and have a high defense and counterstrike ability, making them hard to kill and dangerous once they're adjacent. Another good trio against a steamroller would be the Ninja's of the Northern Wind. With an ability to shadow walk, they can go through the army without trouble, and also can dodge attacks if it will kill them.

A good steamroller killer would be Deadeye Dan, for he can snipe from quite a ways away.

Blitz~

A blitz army can kill very fast. We all know that we do not want our units dieing like that. The good thing about a blitz army is that it only attacks in small, very efficient waves. But, you can counter a blitz with a well spread, counterstrike army that contains figures like the Izumi, Kozuke, or Tagawa Samurai (The latter getting better as it kills these figures, and they have a high defense). Another good figure for this is Charos. Give an anti blitz army Raelin or Thorgrim, and they can effectively shut down a blitz army.

That is how I handle those armies, and that is just my .

I'm a F18, bro.

Last edited by Oh Yeah! I'm Here; September 26th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How to counter Turtle/steamroll/blitz armies

The Einar Imperium only move 5, not 6.

Also, you can't put Viking Spirits on Common army cards like the Minions, or EI.

Old September 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

Turtles also suffer from units like Braxas, Zelrig, Nilfheim, and even Mimring. Flying units with special attacks that affect multiple units, especially in clusters can wreak havoc on that turtle pod.

Using a unit like Braxas to take out boosters like Raelin, Taelord, or Laglor can decimate the turtles strategy. Explosion attacks like Zelrigs Majestic Fires are perfect for close packed ranks, and even the glass jawed Mimring can fly in and get a shot or two with his Fireline, and potentially take out multiple figures.

For Steamrollers, their natural enemy is the aforementioned Turtles, and better Steamrollers. Also high move/range units and dance around the edges and take them down without receiving much damage in return.

Blitzes or Waves break on strong defense and melee screens. Rats are a natural, and of course a Glad/Blast army will lock them down and take away their biggest asset.
Old September 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

The Minions are more geared toward getting there in one piece as opposed to the EI's strategy of getting there quickly. I'm surprised Atlaga wasn't mentioned as a support unit, as that one extra move greatly improves Minions and EI alike. Marcus is also a good support hero for EI. The two of them combined push their mobility up to near-Cyprien levels.

Sentinels are fairly good against turtle units as well, but they're more defensively oriented than Minions. SGT. Drake is good for disposing of a small group of turtlers such as the Krav or even Q9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

You're obviously applying the term "Steamroller" as more than a nickname for the gladiator army. But the Warriors of Ashra have been very consistent for me as far as shutting that particular Steamroller down. Obviously, they must be facing a mostly-melee army, but especially when paired with Raelin, the WoA can become an immovable object, and they still leave plenty of points for backup units.
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Darkness1717 is surprisingly tart

Q9 is great against turtle, steamroller, and blitz armies, then again he is great against everything( except Jotun and a few others). He can easily survive most turtle attacks and can attack up to 9 times in a turn. He has 8 range and can easily pick of steamrollers, and if they get too close he can just Queglix them. His Queglix can obliterate the small blitz waves in one turn.

Another good anti-steamroller army are the Nakita's and Skahen. Skahen's 6 move helps her get to where she needs to be and her 7 range and double attack take quick work oh the steamrollers when she gets there. While she's killing the steamrollers her Cover Fire brings the Nakita's up to her, and you place them infront of her to gun down the steamrollers and make them risk engagement strike.

Skahen and the Krav also fair good against turtles with there stealth dodge.
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I really like using Runa + Minions against Turtle armies that aren't just a ton of commons. When Runa gets Helm rolls at multiple heroes per turn, good things are bound to happen. The Minions like killing heroes, too, and Atlaga and his Bolt are a natural addition to the army.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was looking at this, and I noticed a little rock paper scissors going on. The turtle beats steamroller, steamroller beats blitz, and blitz beats turtle. Anyone else notice this?

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
I was looking at this, and I noticed a little rock paper scissors going on. The turtle beats steamroller, steamroller beats blitz, and blitz beats turtle. Anyone else notice this?
This is not the case. Blitz is generally the worst idea of the three because it lacks the ability to reinforce it's losses. Turtlers and Steamrollers will be able to do this easily. You'll often find that Blitz strategies will leave a couple units out in the open as easy kills.

Blitz breaks on heavy defense which is a common attribute in most armies, having the ability to quickly reinforce your lines is very close to having a strong defense because it ensures you'll be able to maximize your turns.

Blitz armies lose out on maximizing their turns because when they lose part of a wave they cannot take full strikes any more. They can choose to bring up reinforcements but that will take awhile and only spread your people out for easy kills meanwhile you aren't taking the full amount of attacks, or they can leave the crippled wave up front to die and just bring a new wave completely. Either option you choose you will be wasting figures.

There really is no rock paper scissors here.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Actually, Zelrig doesn't do good against turtles at all. At least when I turtle.
I used this at the NHSD tournament. When I was up against Zelrig, he didn't inflict one wound.

Captain America
Cyprein
Sonya
Raelin v1
Thorgrim
Marcu
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post
Actually, Zelrig doesn't do good against turtles at all. At least when I turtle.
I used this at the NHSD tournament. When I was up against Zelrig, he didn't inflict one wound.

Captain America
Cyprein
Sonya
Raelin v1
Thorgrim
Marcu
Well, okay, yes...against an army that consists entirely of Unique Heroes, I could see how Zelrig would not be your Go To Guy.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post

Captain America
Cyprein
Sonya
Raelin v1
Thorgrim
Marcu
Well, okay, yes...against an army that consists entirely of Unique Heroes, I could see how Zelrig would not be your Go To Guy.
True, but who uses squads, specifically common, when they turtle?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles