Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
The Training Grounds (Barracks for Maps)

Okay, so while the Battlefields of Valhalla are looking to understand who they really are (apparently an apparatus to set the maps for GenCon next year), we're still out of a proper set of map picks. So I figured, if the other thread is moving so slowly because the judging is so tight (nothing wrong with it, though), maybe we should do here what was done in Customs -- The Barracks, customs you can play NOW.

Seriously, a "best of" thread where Forsaken Waters has trouble passing the judges is far beyond the amount of scrutiny most of us are looking for...

So, the purpose of this thread is, give recognition to a selection of balanced maps for casual play. The idea is, when looking for a map, it takes a lot of effort to wade through showpiece maps looking for something useable.

Here are the current guidelines:

1. Maps should be readily useable for two players (for now).
2. Maps should be suitable for last-man-standing play.
3. Maps should be suitable for at least one army size in the 300-650 range.
The idea behind 1-3 is to make maps you can just whip out, draft armies for, and play on.

4. Maps should use one or two master sets, never more than four.
5. Maps may use whatever terrain expansion they need, but ideally no more than one or two of each.
6. Extra tiles from boosters can be used, but don't go overboards (as in, three of every commomn through Wave 6).
The idea behind 4-5-6 is to make sure as many people as possible can build the map.

7. Complicated map-specific rules are discouraged. Stuff like sand costs double move is fine.
8. Glyphs are taken into account (so they're scenarios, really), but can be random or whatever you want.
9. Maps should be equally friendly to all unit types and army compositions. Melee-friendly maps are especially rare.
The idea behind 7-9 is that it sucks, when you don't get to play often, to feel you lost because the map made your army unplayable.

Forsaken Waters (Winter Holdout Style) will be the yardstick that all maps will be measured by, until we find something better. The idea is, is this map pretty much as universally playable as FW, or will you scream "Next time we're playing FW!" after it ends in one side being unable to move around?

Er... I just made that thread, so we don't have judges or anything. I think we could start with everyone chiming in, I'll stand for a while as the final authority, and will pick up judges who seem to have the same vision along the way.

This isn't a *best of* thread, and I don't want it to become one. It's a playable now thing, really. I have my ideas of what the sort of maps in here should be, and will work to make it that. Justice and recognition to the deserving is not what I'm looking for -- we have Battlefields of Valhalla for that. I'm looking for maps I want to play, and hope this becomes a ressource for people who want to play the same kind of maps. Hence the vision thing.

Anyone feel free to nominate any map. Showpiece isn't what we're looking for, gimmick maps isn't either, unless it turns out really balanced. Basically, I want boring maps, to some extent. You're allowed to spell out some changes to a map as you nominate it.

I'll try to nominate some stuff, and play it to see how it goes. Anything nominated and then even remotely considered in BoV should probably drop in here for consideration as well. So I'll start with the two that were nominated there.

Anyone feel free to chime in, bringing in new maps or commenting on the ones already up. All maps will be playtested before being finally entered.

By respect for your fellow posters, please refrain from gratuitous use of the terms "******", "****", "****", "*****", "***", "****", "***", "******", "******" and "GenCon exclusive".
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
Over in Valhalla, funrun nominated Arctic Divide by UPC. Snow is heavy but ice is normal.

I tried it last night. Problem is, it's far, far too friendly to fliers and high move units. Zombies were incapable of doing anything, which also rules out the Highlanders and knights and so on... Other problem is, glyph distances are just different enough for either side, so whoever gets the attack glyph closer will gain an early lead.

I tried making some changes to it, basically modifying the area around the glyps and pushing them unto the ice. I haven't had the chance to play the new version, however, so I'll be back about this.

Mole Hill I should try later today.

By respect for your fellow posters, please refrain from gratuitous use of the terms "******", "****", "****", "*****", "***", "****", "***", "******", "******" and "GenCon exclusive".
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:23 AM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Hey Archon Shiva, since this is the Barracks for maps, I've done a Halls for maps. Hope thats OK.

DED42

FINISH HIM!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios