Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
How will C3V units affect the Metagame?

So assuming you attend a pre-drafted army tourney or other event that allows C3V units, how will affect the metagame? For the sake of this discussion, I will define the metagame as "What armies people bring based on trying to counter what they think the best players will bring."

Someone chimed in on whether or not to allow C3V units at NHSD, and this was my response:

My thinking is, if you don't want to play the C3V units you don't have to, so there is not much harm in allowing them - but I guess everyone theoretically has to think about how to counter the C3V units as they affect the metagame, so it could make a difference. I just don't see most of the units released so far as game breakers, except maybe the Marro Gnids who can take down heroes easily so people might be slightly less inclined to bring hero heavy armies if C3V was allowed. The other C3V units just seem to bolster lower rated units up.

We will have to wait to see the other units that are released, but how do you think the C3V units would affect the armies people bring?

Last edited by lefton4ya; September 13th, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: How will C3V units affect the Metagame?

I expect it will be similar to the way it's always been at those tournaments: Something new comes out, a couple people bring it, most people don't.

I don't think the long term effect of the SoV or C3V projects will have a significant impact on the top tier of the metagame. There *may* be some unit we produce/approve like the Greenscales, where at first blush it appears to produce a really competitive army, but in the end it's just on the good side of the middle tier.

I *hope* we don't push the metagame harder than that.

Otherwise, as I said, it'll be as it was with all the new waves that came out before. Some people got 'em and want to bring 'em, varying from region to region and tournament to tournament.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'm not sure what impact they'll truly have, but I can say this:

I can't wait for a 550 point tournament where I can play Elf Wizards with Haduc in there. I might try to hold one just to play that.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Thanks Dad_Scaper for you assessment, as I think the C3V goal is to bring up lesser played units and continue making fun units that are competitive but do not change the metagame too much. However, to really affect the metagame, maybe you could make a unit that has extra attack against units with scatter or defense aura powers

From May 13 on Jexik's Evolution of the Tournament Metagame: A Brief History:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
The metagame will be changed by some of the C3V units coming out.
I would like to see some more C3V designers/playtesters chime in (although they know how soon to be release units will affect it as well).
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

The thing I've noticed in my games with the Gnids is that the most used figure in Heroscape (aka Raelin) is brought down a peg. Her defense 3 is a fairly easy target fro the 2 Attack Gnids and reducing her stats hurts your opponent's strategy. If you use Tul-Bak-Ra to teleport in the Gnids, its hard to avoid her early demise

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I assume the question is not "Which C3V figures will be usable in a tournament?", but "Will the current balance of power of the strongest armies be upset by C3V's addition?"

The short answer is that it's hard to say. Something like Zaeus+G'Nators+rats might be really good, but it's not doing anything to the metagame that Q9 didn't already do. A lot of people seem pretty high on the gnids, but most of the popular metagame options have some way of dealing with them. Basically, even the strong options don't seem like they are particularly punitive to the current monsters of the metagame.

The addition of Omegacron is interesting because it puts the repulsors into an army that can win games against non-soulborg armies. So it's possible that this hurts 'trons or rats or majors just because they are more likely to run into repulsors.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
The thing I've noticed in my games with the Gnids is that the most used figure in Heroscape (aka Raelin) is brought down a peg. Her defense 3 is a fairly easy target fro the 2 Attack Gnids and reducing her stats hurts your opponent's strategy. If you use Tul-Bak-Ra to teleport in the Gnids, its hard to avoid her early demise
Nice....

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

A bit of a revival but the Cultist could be game changing at tournements

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:27 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

What about the Dreadguls? I don't think Dreadguls paired with Valguard would be too different than Heavy Gruts or Knights or whatever melee-bonding base for an army. I don't think Dreadguls with Guilty is too different from MBS and the Romans. But Dreadguls and Jotun might be something new that poses a problem. On the other hand, Jotun is basically a huge, expensive figure with a special attack, so that army is similar to a Greenscales and Dragon army. Maybe that doesn't make such a difference after all....

EDIT: It would be interesting to create a list of army composition types and see what the results are. Something like: 4-man bonding melee with Hero, 3-man bonding melee with Special, 4-man range with Raelin, etc. As long as an army containing new C3V figures fits into one of these formats (roughly), it wouldn't change anything too much, other than expanding the pool of figures that could be included in "better" armies (ex. as explained above, an army of Dreadguls with Jotun isn't really much different than Greenscales with a Dragon). Figures that might need to be avoided would be figures that compose a new category of unit function all by themselves (like Raelin).

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!

Last edited by Tai-Pan; April 12th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old November 13th, 2019, 05:41 PM

Any tournament goers notice a shift in what people bring to counter any C3V units/armies?
Old November 13th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

What a worthy necro!

I will say that what I see is people bringing a constant variety of C3V units. People like playing with the new things.

The ones I think that have had more staying power than others, in our area, are the Dreadguls and the Incendiborgs. But we see a *lot* of C3V, in my area, of all different types. Certainly nothing threatening the metagame apple cart at the highest levels.

I hope my Alternate Sculpts thread will encourage people to bring some of our older designs. I'd like to bring the Gnids to something soon, given that I can just use Nagrubs instead.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 13th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I missed this one the first time! Good read!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs