Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Old October 18th, 2019, 12:48 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Talking Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
@whiteknight , do you think that light box I purchased and linked above would work well for photographing minis for stls? I'm supposed to get it tomorrow. I'm going to see about getting or making a turntable to sit in the bottom, and I'll be setting my camera, or phone up next to it on a tripod. I did this also for photographing the 1000+ miniatures I've painted that I have at my house.
It should work. It uses LEDs similar to mine, and the backdrop looks brighter than mine which will help with overall lighting.

Some notes:
- The LEDs will cause shiny spots. You'll want to use the matte spray to get the best results.

- I've heard you can get good scans of a mini without any background (see here), but I've never tried it and don't know if it will work with 3DF Zephyr

- Otherwise, your turntable will need a print on it to give the photogrammetry program background references. Mine needed walls so that the figure is entirely within the background.
Cool. Ill probably get a chance to mess with it a little today if it arrives as scheduled. Ill probably work up a patterned backdrop into an attachment for the turntable. I plan on scanning much more than just HS minis on the thing. I have some really great expensive minis that would be neat to make copies of. Im going to look up some turntables to see if they are cheaper and less time consuming than making one.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 18th, 2019, 03:43 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

I found a pretty cool looking turntable on thingiverse Im going to print out to go with my lightbox. I figured Id share a link here for others to try it.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3723618

I also just picked up this cheaper option on amazon. I figured Id give it a shot instead of fiddling with the other one for the price.
http://https://www.amazon.com/Displa.../dp/B072XJ55DG

Last edited by TREX; October 18th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old October 20th, 2019, 06:37 PM
"like" happy

@White Knight , So I've done a bit of learning and fiddling with blender and got re-excited about these. That combined with me converting my Heroscape Collection into my Heroscape Skirmish Assault format with some really fun an easy tricks on my latest variant of accessories for it. After messing with some of your matte files, I finally figured the easiest way to remove them from the bases you had on there. DUH! it was so easy once I figured it out. I was trying to delete all the individual vertices. When I could have just separated the mesh parts. I should be getting my turntable by tuesday to go with my light box that I have. I've still got to mess with a few things for the box to get it optimal I think. Me and my brother are for sure going to help out with this project once everything comes together. I will probably start with the figures I'm wanting multiples of the most. Another few things I like about printing the figures separate from the bases are:
1. Pulling supports from the bottoms of the models is easier without the base attached.
2. The base can be spray painted brown separately and have a sticker added to it.
3. The model can be printed at a smaller layer height giving a better print for the model itself without having to do the same for the base. I generally print all my scape bases at .2 layer height and they are made quickly and printed upside down so there isn't extra support needed on the base. Where as the model is printed anywhere from a .06-.1 layer height and looks great.
4. Printing the models separate from the bases lets you resize them into giant or tiny models of the same sculpt without producing weird sized bases to go with them. I personally would think it very fun to make some oversized or undersized versions of some of the monsters. I'm looking a dragons, ogres, trolls, Hydras, yetis, etc.

I'd be very curious what others think about my little list, and if they have any ideas to add to it.

Old October 21st, 2019, 10:49 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
@White Knight , So I've done a bit of learning and fiddling with blender and got re-excited about these. That combined with me converting my Heroscape Collection into my Heroscape Skirmish Assault format with some really fun an easy tricks on my latest variant of accessories for it. After messing with some of your matte files, I finally figured the easiest way to remove them from the bases you had on there. DUH! it was so easy once I figured it out. I was trying to delete all the individual vertices. When I could have just separated the mesh parts. I should be getting my turntable by tuesday to go with my light box that I have. I've still got to mess with a few things for the box to get it optimal I think. Me and my brother are for sure going to help out with this project once everything comes together. I will probably start with the figures I'm wanting multiples of the most. Another few things I like about printing the figures separate from the bases are:
1. Pulling supports from the bottoms of the models is easier without the base attached.
2. The base can be spray painted brown separately and have a sticker added to it.
3. The model can be printed at a smaller layer height giving a better print for the model itself without having to do the same for the base. I generally print all my scape bases at .2 layer height and they are made quickly and printed upside down so there isn't extra support needed on the base. Where as the model is printed anywhere from a .06-.1 layer height and looks great.
4. Printing the models separate from the bases lets you resize them into giant or tiny models of the same sculpt without producing weird sized bases to go with them. I personally would think it very fun to make some oversized or undersized versions of some of the monsters. I'm looking a dragons, ogres, trolls, Hydras, yetis, etc.

I'd be very curious what others think about my little list, and if they have any ideas to add to it.
First of all, the easiest way in Blender to remove bases is to go into edit mode, select one of the base vertices, and hit ctrl-L. That will select the whole base. Then just delete it.

Also note that my new bases are standard Heroscape thin bases.

Printing with bases makes quick and easy models--no need to print separate bases and stickers, no need to attach the model to a base.

However, I DO print figures without bases if I want them to look official. When I do that, I'll add some posts on the bottom of the figure's feet to weld into holes in a separately printed base (printed with brown PLA with a sticker attached with Modge Podge).

The bases are useful when I first scan the figure. I'll use the base in Blender to scale the figure to the correct size.

If most people prefer the model without a base, I won't add the bases from now on. I just don't want to upload both models.
Old October 21st, 2019, 12:58 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Quote:

First of all, the easiest way in Blender to remove bases is to go into edit mode, select one of the base vertices, and hit ctrl-L. That will select the whole base. Then just delete it.

Also note that my new bases are standard Heroscape thin bases.

Printing with bases makes quick and easy models--no need to print separate bases and stickers, no need to attach the model to a base.

However, I DO print figures without bases if I want them to look official. When I do that, I'll add some posts on the bottom of the figure's feet to weld into holes in a separately printed base (printed with brown PLA with a sticker attached with Modge Podge).

The bases are useful when I first scan the figure. I'll use the base in Blender to scale the figure to the correct size.

If most people prefer the model without a base, I won't add the bases from now on. I just don't want to upload both models.
Thanks for the new hot key WK. No worries. Your work is awesome and very appreciated. Keep loading up your models as you do based, works for me to do them without the base for my various reasons but I can easily modify what I need to. I wouldnt expect you to load them all up again. I learned a few other tricks as well for simple fixes watching more youtube. The biggest reason I like them without the base is for support removal because of how my simpler to use slicer adds supports. I cant wait to start helping add more models to the ranks to help you out. I should have all my equipment in by tuesday to set it up. I have most of all the models as well so Ill probably try to do the ones I want and the ones you dont have first.

Old October 26th, 2019, 03:04 PM
"like" happy

Thought that I'd add some pics to here since I don't do it too often. Oversized Quasatch Brutes.

Old October 26th, 2019, 07:34 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

What a great idea. I see lot's of options to enlarge: obsidian guards, elementals, vipers, spiders... even omnicrons.

A growth glyph?
Old October 27th, 2019, 11:09 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
What a great idea. I see lot's of options to enlarge: obsidian guards, elementals, vipers, spiders... even omnicrons.

A growth glyph?
New Ticalla Trees
The leaves are scanned, while the trunk and base are from MementoMori on Thingiverse. (3D print on the left)

The only change I need to make before uploading the files is to thicken the trunk and make it taller (to match the original tree) and adjust the trunk tolerances so everything fits a little tighter.

Old October 27th, 2019, 11:49 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post

A growth glyph?
New Ticalla Trees
The leaves are scanned, while the trunk and base are from MementoMori on Thingiverse. (3D print on the left)

The only change I need to make before uploading the files is to thicken the trunk and make it taller (to match the original tree) and adjust the trunk tolerances so everything fits a little tighter.

Can somebody Rep White Knight for me? People need to see how epic this is. I just searched ticalla jungle stuff not too long ago and wow, they are expensive. I personally only need 1 ticalla tree top to fix one I'm missing from my 2-3 sets of them, but this resource is great.

Old October 27th, 2019, 11:51 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Very nice.
Old October 27th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Can somebody Rep White Knight for me? People need to see how epic this is. I just searched ticalla jungle stuff not too long ago and wow, they are expensive. I personally only need 1 ticalla tree top to fix one I'm missing from my 2-3 sets of them, but this resource is great.
No Rep until I post the files.

By the way, I printed the leaves on their side (tall ways). Supports were super-easy to remove.
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:01 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Quote:
No Rep until I post the files.

By the way, I printed the leaves on their side (tall ways). Supports were super-easy to remove.
There are plenty of reasons that you should receive positive Rep. Its crazy awesome what you have started here for all your fellow scapers. I have some Green filament that I'm going to use to print these when you do finish them. I've been wondering what I'm going to do with that color. I just put a roll of red on my printer.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing