Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 20th, 2008, 07:27 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
After Dark Horrorfest 8 films to die for.

Are any of these movies really any good? I was looking at some the other night and was wondering. Anyone shed some light?
Thanks
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
There are 16 films now, the eight from last year and the eight from this year. Which do you want to know about? If you want to know about last year's, I saw 5 of the 8, but I suspect you are talking about this years which I haven't seen yet, but plan on it.
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
There are 16 films now, the eight from last year and the eight from this year. Which do you want to know about? If you want to know about last year's, I saw 5 of the 8, but I suspect you are talking about this years which I haven't seen yet, but plan on it.
Nether,
I'm actually more interested in last years. The First 8, right? They all seem interesting, but horror films can be notoriously cheesy and I'm hope the 8 to die for isn't going to kill me to sit through it.

Thanks
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
I really think Reincarnation by the Japanese Director of The Grudge, among other things, was very good. Not as scary as it was disturbing, however. I think it was deemed too intense for most auidences because a kid gets killed- something horror movies usually go out of their way to aviod depicting.

Didn't see the others.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM

Circuit City had a sale on the Horrorfest movies. $3.99 each. We bought three of them, "Wicked Little Things," "Reincarnation" and "Gravedancers." The Wifie and I watched "Wicked Little Things" last night. Not too bad, definitely not a corny/cheesy horror flick but nothing scary. Children Zombie's ripping into flesh with great makeup work.

I'm excited to watch the other two shortly and look forward to finding the other 5 movies for a great deal.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM

kboleen is surprisingly tart
I have always loved a good horror movie. But I just don't like the gore, sex, and langauge in them. Are there any of them that aren't gory and such? That's what I liked about The Ring; a PG horror movie that was actually scary.

"Be of good courage..."
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboleen
But I just don't like the gore, sex, and langauge in them.
I here ya. It's hard to find ANY movie without most of those things it it anymore. As for the movies you asked about, I just watched "The Deaths of Ian Stone" this weekend. It wasn't too bad, but wasn't really scary.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM

"The Deaths of Ian Stone" this weekend. It wasn't too bad, but wasn't really scary.

Would you say it was good enough to rent?
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnimaniac
Would you say it was good enough to rent?
Well that's a tough one, as we all have different taste. But it was worth it for me, but then, I am easily entertained. Your talking to an old man who actually liked, nay, thoroughly enjoyed, Enchanted. It had some gore in it but not really over the top, that I can remember. I also don't remember in nudity but don't hold me to that.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
I saw most of 2006's films and they were watchable, but I don't think that any stood out as being great in any way. Gravedancers was probably the most fun of the bunch. The Abandoned and Penny Dreadful had some creepy atmosphere.

Of the new bunch, I just saw The Deaths of Ian Stone last night. The effects were nice, but in the end, the movie does not hold up. It seemed like it was aiming for something epic in the beginning and then it was scaled back.
It was disappointing. It is also more fantasy or sci-fi than horror, since little of it is scary.

I have Mulberry Street sitting in the DVD player, but have not watched it yet. I'll probably watch Tooth and Nail, Nightmare Man and Borderland as well.

Truly good and memorable horror flicks are hard to find.

You can find some mini reviews of the new flicks here:

http://themovieboy.com/directlinks/0...ofianstone.htm
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:05 PM

InThisMoment has disabled reputation
You're talking my language! Me and three others watched all eight last year and reviewed them, and we're planning n doing it again this year. Here's a summary of our reviews

The Abandoned – My favorite out of the eight. It was so incredibly creepy and suspenseful, without having loads of gore and sex dumped on you. The two leads do such incredible acting jobs, which is rare to find in horror movies. It has one of the greatest atmospheres ever in a horror movie. I highly recommend it. (Except it was so freaking LOUD. Anyone else think this?)

Reincarnation – Probably one of the scariest out of them all. I found it very The Ring/The Grudge/One Missed Call/ etc. – esque, but nevertheless, very very good. It is quite subtle, and has a unexpected plot twist at the end. This was my boyfriends favorite out of the, all. I would highly recommend it as well

Penny Dreadful – Is weird. That’s about all I can say. It’s dark, unexpected, spooky, and weird. The killer is scary as hell, and the main character portrays a phobia of cars quite well, even though I found its premise quite odd at first.

Dark Ride – Ugh. My least favorite. It’s a gore fest, and that’s about it. I wanted my hours of life back after watching it. Ridiculously bad for a Horrorfest film.

Unrest – I liked this one more than I thought I was going too. It was a little predictable at parts, violent, and in many ways, your average horror movie with a few noticeable differences. Certainly isn’t the cream of the crop but it’s good.

Wicked Little Things – Scary zombie children comprise this film. It’s a good slasher, violent, horror movie, with plenty of scares and jump scenes. It’s almost distasteful in a good way,

The Gravedancers – So very unique and new and delightful, I was utterly captivated by it. This is what all the Horrorfest should be like. There is not another film quite like this, and whereas so many horror films re-use ideas, they come up with all new ones. I love this one.

The Hamiltons – Hmm, it had lots of potential, but didn’t deliver like I thought it would. Oh well.

Well, I just posted up a storm, but that’s my general review of last years. I’ll post my review of this years when I watch them all.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

Doustin is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Of the new ones Ive watched Crazy Eights, Nightmare Man, and Deaths of Ian Stone so far. Id say Crazy Eights is the best of those three. Nightmare Man wasnt too bad but felt a little, I dont know, cheesy? I didnt much care for Ian Stone mostly due to the lack of horror as previously mentioned. Crazy Eights was pretty bizarre, I wasnt fully paying attention though while watching and I definitely need to watch again to catch a few things I missed.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies