Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old November 17th, 2017, 03:54 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Justice League: A (No spoilers)

Its good to be retired. Went to a 10 AM matinee today and saw the film with only about 25 others in the theater. I had passed on SVB, but enjoyed WW. I liked this one very much. All of the characters are broken but groping toward the light--and those are the heroes!

I hadn't expected much; thought I'd be lucky to get a B film. Instead, the characters were well written and well played. Well, Joss did step in to finish the film.

Stay for both post credit scenes; one just after they begin and one at the end!

Last edited by chas; November 17th, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old December 18th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is a mess of both great moments and terribly embarrassing ones. It kind of reminds me of Revenge Of The Sith in that regard. I still kind of liked that one better though, and unfortunately I can't help but think that the more I actually think about this new movie, the less I'll like it. People'll probably either love this or loathe it, but all I've got is a kind of disappointed "meh".

I brought a flask into the theater and took a swig of Midori every time the word "Hope" was said. Boy that sure ran short fast. Highly recommended for this film.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 18th, 2017, 08:37 AM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is a mess of both great moments and terribly embarrassing ones. It kind of reminds me of Revenge Of The Sith in that regard. I still kind of liked that one better though, and unfortunately I can't help but think that the more I actually think about this new movie, the less I'll like it. People'll probably either love this or loathe it, but all I've got is a kind of disappointed "meh".

I brought a flask into the theater and took a swig of Midori every time the word "Hope" was said. Boy that sure ran short fast. Highly recommended for this film.

~TAF
Yeah, The Last Jedi was a mess of action movie tropes and plot holes. I didn't really mind things that they did with the universe, but the movie as a whole just didn't make a lot of sense. Each set piece seemed less thought out and cheesier than the last on ("Hey, at the end of this one let's have 2 ex machinas and then they will kiss with an explosion in the background!!!").

It wasn't all terrible, but it definitely seemed like the bad out weighted the good. Oh well, they can't all be great. I guess I was in for a let down after how much I enjoyed Rogue One.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old December 18th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I like The Last Jedi a lot more than any of the other Disney Star Wars. I've seen it twice now; the first time I thought it was inconsistent too, but on the second watch I started to see how the pieces of the movie fit together and it is actually really clever. I think some of the really weird stuff (Leia flying, Luke's force Projection) will age to be normal in people's mind.

I think Kylo Ren was even better done this time than he was in TFA, both in terms of acting and the storyline he was given. He's probably the best character in Star Wars now imo. I think the door is closed for Rey redeeming Kylo so I'm excited to see where they take him next.

I can sympathize a bit w/ people who are upset w/ how Luke is portrayed, but I think that criticism is misplaced. Luke had a happy ending in Return of the Jedi, and showing him as a perfect person forever is both uninteresting and untrue.

Criticizing a movie for "tropes" is pretty unfair; all movies are composed of tropes. Trope != cliche
Old December 18th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I am with veggie here.

I thought everything I disliked about most of the new characters in FA was addressed and even full out mocked in this movie. I loved the chaos of all the plots and the multiple characters. It flew past and I could have gone another hour or two.
Old December 18th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No spoilers outside the spoiler but my own review follows. I wouldn't be reading reviews of this movie before I saw it, and I wouldn't even be writing this one, except you guys have already started the discussion. So here goes.

One outer spoiler for people who don't want to read even more about the movie until they see it, with an inner one protecting from the truly spoiler-y bit.

Spoiler Alert!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:07 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I am with veggie here.

I thought everything I disliked about most of the new characters in FA was addressed and even full out mocked in this movie. I loved the chaos of all the plots and the multiple characters. It flew past and I could have gone another hour or two.
Huh, you must have gotten the secret deluxe version of the movie then. I was bored and ready to leave by the thirty minute mark, easily my least favorite movie of the year. I actually disliked it more than Force Awakens, which was quite the achievement.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

While there were weakness in the movie, I loved the humor. It seems a lot of recent action movies avoid humor, which disappoints me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
While there were weakness in the movie, I loved the humor. It seems most a lot of recent action movies avoid humor, which disappoints me.
That's half the reason I love the MCU so much, honestly.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 18th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I agree with DS on the self-aware humor being a problem and I think he articulated it really well. Previous Star Wars films have had humor, but it was always humor within the context of the world, and here it seems like some of it is winking at the audience humor. I think all of the Disney Star Wars movies have this, although TLJ did it more often than the others. It's similar to how Disney Marvel does their humor, but it's more appropriate there.

I still like the movie a lot though.
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
While there were weakness in the movie, I loved the humor. It seems most a lot of recent action movies avoid humor, which disappoints me.
That's half the reason I love the MCU so much, honestly.
I like the use of humor in action movies, too, but I disagree we don't see much of it. On the contrary, most big action movies have too much for me to take them seriously as stories. Thor was funny, but it was so funny that it was hard to take the stakes seriously (though as a film I thought it was better than LJ). Logan had moments of humor, but they were relatively few, and the stakes felt real. That was a wonderful action movie, and my favorite of the year.

The thing is, the Star Wars saga seems to me to be defined, in part, by its own space opera thing, and the space opera thing does not touch the fourth wall or make fun of itself. It's a departure from a well-worn path, and therefore a bit distracting.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 18th, 2017, 04:22 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I enjoyed The Last Jedi, it really only had one big plot hole that jumped out at me that I will discuss later, other than that I was mostly happy with everything that went on. A few minor quibbles here and there maybe but nothing really egregious. Not my favorite SW movie, but also not my least favorite.

Generally speaking, it doesn't bother me one bit that the humor in this movie branched out into new territory. I've come to accept the fact that the magic that was created in the original trilogy will not ever be repeated and I'd prefer if they just stop trying. Even George Lucus himself tried to with the prequels and failed. Abrambs went overboard trying to in Force Awakens, and while it was closer in feeling to the original trilogy than the prequels, it actually suffered overall from the over borrowing from those films. Star Killer base is just a bigger, badder Death Star! A son and father have a confrontation on a cat walk and one of them goes over the edge! etc. etc. etc. So branching out into new directions seems like a good idea to me. Rogue One is actually my favorite of the non-original trilogy films and the director was given some latitude on tone and such. So let directors play in the SW sandbox and give us different looks as what a SW movie could be, it will certainly keep me more interested in returning to the theater to see each one that if they just keep on doing the same thing over and over again.

Now on to the spoilers.....don't click if you have not seen the movie yet.
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies