Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old April 17th, 2019, 05:38 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
On the topic of Summoner Wars, one more Alliances set would be quite neat.
If you build a circle of allegiances between the 15 factions you might find something like this:

Jungle Elves/Swamp Orcs: One linked to animals, the other to plants.
Phoenix Elves/Filth: If Elien makes a deal with the undead, I could see Maldaria making a deal with the corrupt.
Shadow Elves/Deep Dwarves: Both seek knowledge, and avoid the light.
Vanguard/Benders: Imagine a former Bender Summoner turned crusader, using powers of the mind to convert the heathens.
Mountain Vargath/Guild Dwarves: Both defend mountainous regions. May make for a turtle-type gameplay, but could be fun.
Fallen Kingdom/Cave Goblins: The Filth have had their way with the Cave Goblins, next ought to be the Undead Army's turn. I have a picture in my head of an undead Feeder champion or Mole Dog commons.
Sand Goblins/Tundra Orcs: While initially weird, I think the combination of potentially conjuring blizzards and sandstorms to be quite synergystic
Cloaks/Mercenaries: The faction most mercenary-like already paired with the normal Mercs, I think would go well.

Swamp Orcs/Sand Goblins/Cloaks/Shadow Elves/Jungle Elves/Vangard/Vargath/Guild Dwarves/Tundra Orcs/Cave Goblins/Filth/Fallen Kingdom/Phoenix Elves/
I think it's highly unlikely that we see any more SW. It's a great game, but it wasn't supported well and wasn't released properly. The last SW event at GenCon was 2-3 years ago, so I don't really foresee a continuation.

I would like to see a reboot, but there'd have to be changes in OP, release model, and design/development/playtesting. It'd have to be a large-scale project, and I can't see PHG doing it.
Old April 17th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
I think it's highly unlikely that we see any more SW. It's a great game, but it wasn't supported well and wasn't released properly. The last SW event at GenCon was 2-3 years ago, so I don't really foresee a continuation.

I would like to see a reboot, but there'd have to be changes in OP, release model, and design/development/playtesting. It'd have to be a large-scale project, and I can't see PHG doing it.

Ugh, I didn't clean up my formatting before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old April 17th, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

My son got me the Joust board game for my Birthday. It's a fair adaptation of the video game. It's fairly light, plays quickly and the momentum mechanic makes it interesting.
Old April 18th, 2019, 09:08 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
On the topic of Summoner Wars, one more Alliances set would be quite neat.
If you build a circle of allegiances between the 15 factions you might find something like this:

Jungle Elves/Swamp Orcs: One linked to animals, the other to plants.
Phoenix Elves/Filth: If Elien makes a deal with the undead, I could see Maldaria making a deal with the corrupt.
Shadow Elves/Deep Dwarves: Both seek knowledge, and avoid the light.
Vanguard/Benders: Imagine a former Bender Summoner turned crusader, using powers of the mind to convert the heathens.
Mountain Vargath/Guild Dwarves: Both defend mountainous regions. May make for a turtle-type gameplay, but could be fun.
Fallen Kingdom/Cave Goblins: The Filth have had their way with the Cave Goblins, next ought to be the Undead Army's turn. I have a picture in my head of an undead Feeder champion or Mole Dog commons.
Sand Goblins/Tundra Orcs: While initially weird, I think the combination of potentially conjuring blizzards and sandstorms to be quite synergystic
Cloaks/Mercenaries: The faction most mercenary-like already paired with the normal Mercs, I think would go well.

Swamp Orcs/Sand Goblins/Cloaks/Shadow Elves/Jungle Elves/Vangard/Vargath/Guild Dwarves/Tundra Orcs/Cave Goblins/Filth/Fallen Kingdom/Phoenix Elves/

Why not? If they think it's a viable product that would sell, they should have the resources, given that they're under the Asmodee banner at this point.

I guess it all comes down to R.O.I. though. If there's not a market for it any longer, they probably won't.

I got a starter set for it back in the day, but two player, non-coop games don't really hit the table for me.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 18th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Why not? If they think it's a viable product that would sell, they should have the resources, given that they're under the Asmodee banner at this point.

I guess it all comes down to R.O.I. though. If there's not a market for it any longer, they probably won't.

I got a starter set for it back in the day, but two player, non-coop games don't really hit the table for me.
Sure, but based on how people like KC (lead play tester/designer) and others in the know have talked, it's pretty clear that PHG had no plans to continue it or revive it when it ended. I don't think that's changed.

I love the game, and it will probably never leave my Top 10. However, PHG mismanaged it:

1. OP was terrible; there was never any sort of tournament hierarchy/structure or prize support created. This makes it very hard to get any sort of competitive scene going. There was also never any official tournament rules until the very end of the game.
2. Release model was weird. Most people fall into one of two groups: either casual board gamers or competitive card game players. The casual board gamers don't want to hunt down small packs; rather, they'd like to just pick up box sets with everything in them. The Master Set was a great example of this. The competitive players want more than a couple expansions released each year, or else the meta doesn't shift enough. If they released everything in large boxes, they'd do a better job of getting the casual crowd into it. If they released everything in more of an FFG LCG style, they'd do a better job of getting the competitive crowd into it.
3. Release model was weird part 2: they didn't give you enough cards to fill out a complete deck. For example, if you bought the Jungle Elf first summoner, you got 4 Lioneers. You can run up to 10 of any common in your deck, and you generally want a maximum of 3 different commons to help with consistency. However, you would have to buy 2-3 of everything in order to be able to run the max number of any common. This could be solved with tournament rules stating you can only run the number of commons provided in any one set; eg, can only run 4 Lioneers in one deck. As previously mentioned, however, there was no competitive ruleset made. This is compounded by point 4.
4. Really bad balance. This is true in a lot of games, but SW had really, really bad balance. A lot of factions are just start with 10x of their best common and figure it out from there. For example, any Krusk deck should run 10x SG Shaman, any Ret deck should run 10x Warlock, etc.
5. Flaws in the core rules. The core rules include starting setups, summoning from walls, self-killing units for magic, and more.

Let me recap first by saying that I LOVE SW. However, a revamp would need to address these issues to be really successful in the current crowded market. With all the great LCGs and board games on the market, PHG would need to really give SW a complete overhaul. While it could be done, it would require a large team to revamp it. PHG have let so many of their games die and they seem to be pumping out game after game these days.

Edit: sorry, that was a bit of a rant. TLDR: SW should have been a great competitive game, but mismanagement really hurt it. For it to be profitable, PHG would need to fix some issues.
Edit pt 2: I would love to see a FFG revamp of it...
Old April 18th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Point 1: I feel this to a point. Unfortunately, I've never been the type of person to actually get ultra-involved in any Organized Play for any game (not for lack of trying, just always have other commitments that prevent my attendance).

Point 2: Absolutely, there were only four large-to-semi-large box sets, the two original 2 player starter sets, and the two master sets. I guess there was also the super compilation box of alliance stuff, but that hardly counts.
Everything else in mini boxes was weird.

Point 3: The game really does feel far better with that rule (which, in most play nowadays is self-imposed by the fact that most players' collections consist of no more than 1 copy of any box anyways).

Point 4: Granted, it is a house rule, but imposing the card limit mentioned in point 3 patches this up significantly imo (at least before 2nd summoners and Alliances).

I've noticed a distinct shift in PHG since the sale to F2Z/asmodee.
It was around that time that the last few releases stopped getting flavor text on the website. Deep Dwarves link here. The back half of 2nd summoners and all alliances cards dropped that.

It obviously wouldn't fully patch up the balance, but part of the motivation for a 2nd alliances set would be to mitigate the huge deckbuilding options that the alliances summoners have.

As of now, an Alliance summoner like Immortal Elien can pull from the full set of PE and FK units, as well as all FP units and mercenaries. In contrast, Ret-Talus can only pull from the set of FK, FP, and Mercs. If a new set of alliances came out, say Phoenix/Filth and Fallen/Cave Goblins, Ret could pull from Fallen Kingdom, Mercs, Fallen Phoenix, and Fallen Cave Goblins, while Immortal Elien should be prevented from using Fallen Cave Goblins or Phoenix Filth units.

I love the game as well. I generally felt it was complete after the original 16+reinforcements were released (except for poor Rahlee), and I always felt the decks within the single-set building limits were reasonably well balanced. (I'm sure there are some Vassal players who actually tracked win rates, but I would be surprised if any given matchup exceeds a 60/40 win rate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old April 18th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Played Above and Below with Kathy again! This time, we both scored 64 points; the tie breaker was amount of gold. I had one gold; Kathy had 0. It doesn't get any closer than that!

Old April 19th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Played 8 games of Journeys in Middle Earth so far. It’s definitely growing on me. I was pretty hesitant with diceless combat ala gloomhaven. Some classes feel more fleshed out than others, but the combination of hero cards and class cards plus the fact you can change classes while keeping the other class cards is pretty cool. The enemies are a bit samey but the scenarios are much different. I mean I can play Bilbo as a Guardian, which is how I love playing him in the lcg, so that’s gotta be worth something.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 20th, 2019, 09:19 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

How does the combat work?
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:59 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its time for a Heroscape break in my Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare initial run through. So far I've run two games and played in 23 more. These have included the 10 Core Game scenarios and 8 of the 15 expansion scenarios. Some have been solo outings, but six other players have come over to try it out with me.

I'm having a great time with this new giant Kickstarter package; see Boardgamegeek for many posts and new player aids about it.

Last edited by chas; May 11th, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:50 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare News:

I'm now on the last scenarios with new expansion space terrain. The Fleet has been dodging Meteor Storms and Showers, and even destroyed some of them protecting a Planetary Group, although we took some strikes ourselves. But now we're entering a Space Rift and...

"...Huh, where are we now, Helm?"

"Captain, we appear to be in the middle of the enemy fleet! And the enemy Flagship and Battleship squadron nearby are powering up weapons..."

Last edited by chas; May 11th, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:18 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Today:

Settlers of Catan
Spartacus
Dead of Winter
Batman - Gotham City

0 wins, great time!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games