Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old July 12th, 2008, 05:03 PM

player_of_volleyball Woo who?
Re: Piercings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post

Fourthly (word?), player_of_volleyball, if you're going to get something pierced, do it for the right reasons. Don't get a piercing just to fit in. Don't get one just to be different. Don't get one if you're insecure about how you look and you want to look cool. Get one because you think it might be fun. Get one because you're young and spontaneous. Get one because you want to try something new. You can always take it out. (Just make sure you get it done by a professional, and follow their instructions for aftercare!).
My exact reasons why I want to get one! At least there are a few people on here that understand

Yes, finally new and better elves to improve my already thick ranks of elves.

Elves shall prevail!
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM

acdveins Woo who?

Hey thought I would chime in on this topic. I have my lip pierced. It isn't as big of a deal as evryone makes it out to be. If I have a job interview, or I don't feel like wearing it I simply take it out. I'm 23 years old I have had no problems finding or keeping a job. I also had my eyebrow pierced, but I took it out later because I didn't like it. It healed up fine, I didn't have any problems with infections, and I had my friend do it with sterilized needles I ordered off the internet (of course he had experience).
The bottom line is, if you want to do it then do it. If you don't then don't. I personally did to try and conquer my fear of needles, and it was also a kind of "rite of passage" into a group if friends that had become almost like family to me. We would of still been friends if I hadn't; I don't want anyone to think I was forced into it.

Now onto some of the horrifying responses I have seen on here. Some of you said you wouldn't talk to someone who has a facial piercing! That is ridiculous. Would you talk to a black person? An Asian person? It is sightly different as people don't choose their race, but it is still judging based on looks. Anyone who does this is ignorant and I wouldn't want to talk to them anyways. If you have to judge people at all, do it for their actions and not the aesthetic choices they make.
I used to work at a warehouse. I had been working there for years and had many friends. One day I wore my lip ring. A few people who I had known there for years started giving me wierd looks and talking to me differently. Did I change that much? What if I started wearing different color T-shirts?
Sorry to rant here but things like this make me extremely angry.

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by player_of_volleyball View Post
My exact reasons why I want to get one! At least there are a few people on here that understand
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdveins View Post
Now onto some of the horrifying responses I have seen on here. Some of you said you wouldn't talk to someone who has a facial piercing! That is ridiculous. Would you talk to a black person? An Asian person? It is sightly different as people don't choose their race, but it is still judging based on looks. Anyone who does this is ignorant and I wouldn't want to talk to them anyways. If you have to judge people at all, do it for their actions and not the aesthetic choices they make.
I used to work at a warehouse. I had been working there for years and had many friends. One day I wore my lip ring. A few people who I had known there for years started giving me wierd looks and talking to me differently. Did I change that much? What if I started wearing different color T-shirts?
Well said, acdveins (+Rep). I couldn't believe my eyes after reading some of the posts in this thread, but I knew if I posted in response I would probably end up saying things I would regret.

As I side note, I had my eyebrows pierced for while, but they never healed quite right (probably because they're surface piercings). I took them out back in 2005. Within a couple weeks, you couldn't even tell I'd ever had them pierced. I think people need to understand the culture a little more before passing judgment...

Oh, and for all the curious posters out there, my lip rings do not get in the way of eating or cause liquid to spurt out the holes, or anything silly like that. If it hurt to eat when you have your lip pierced, don't you think a lot fewer people would get it done?

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Because of the various Bible passages quoted before, I try very hard not to judge based on appearance. I, personally, would not think any less of you, player_of_volleyball, if you got one. If we talked face-to-face, I most likely would not be bothered.

But I know people who would. And yes, most of these people are conservative Christians. I don't fault them for believing what they do, but I still think they should be a little more tolerant. Being Christian myself, it embarasses me when people downright condemm others for personal choices on religious grounds.

The point I'm trying to make here is, get one if you really feel it would define who you are. God gave you free will for a reason. Excersise it, but make sure you won't regret the decision later, because if you really want a piercing, "you" will be the only person that will matter to you.
Old July 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
It sounds like you may not be understanding what a lot of people are saying. Most of us are not saying that piercings are bad, we are simply pointing out that they could be somewhat detrimental to a career. I can think of several careers where they would be a barrier to entry.

Also, judging a person based on his appearance is valid if that appearance is something he controls. Skin color, warts, burns - these are not fair reasons to judge someone. Judging a person based on that person's decisions, on the other hand, especially as they pertain to physical appearance, is more than valid - it should be expected.

Could you not judge a man's net worth based on the designer of his suit? Could I not tell something about a man who wore flannel shirts with the sleeves cut off? Am I not able to make a judgment about a person based on whether or not he combs his hair?

Hypothetical situation for you:

You see two men waiting at the dentist's office. One is in an Armani tailored suit, impeccable hair, clean shave and fine cologne, and expensive leather shoes. The other wears torn jeans, a sweat-stained t-shirt, muddy sneakers, hair shooting out every direction from under a filthy baseball cap, and smells like two days of hard labor.

It is sheer ignorance to say that people should not judge these two men by their appearances. They have made decisions about their appearance based on the image they want to project. The well-dressed guy may be a poor schmuck in a borrowed suit, and the dirty fellow may have chipped his tooth while working in the yard behind his mansion, but either way, each projects an image with his appearance. Saying that they do not, and asking people not to make judgments about them, is to bury your head in the sand.

To sum up - having a chunk of steel voluntarily poked through your lip says something about you, whether you like it or not. If you're not prepared to deal with the ramifications of that decision, you should not get it done. If, on the other hand, you are prepared to acknowledge that you have a personality that differs significantly from the majority of your fellow countrymen, and to admit that many people will have a significant reaction to that difference, then by all means, go right ahead.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old July 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax View Post
To sum up - having a chunk of steel voluntarily poked through your lip says something about you, whether you like it or not. If you're not prepared to deal with the ramifications of that decision, you should not get it done. If, on the other hand, you are prepared to acknowledge that you have a personality that differs significantly from the majority of your fellow countrymen, and to admit that many people will have a significant reaction to that difference, then by all means, go right ahead.
I don't want to speak for acdveins, but I for one am not assuming that people are going to look at me the same as someone without piercings and tattoos. I realize my "look" sets me apart from a majority of Americans (although in this day an age, getting a piercing is becoming more like conformity and less like rebellion ).

That said, I still don't think it's okay to judge people on any aspect of their appearance, whether or not it's something they have control over. If someone has their lip pierced for religious purposes, would that make it less okay to judge them? Where do you draw the line?

Your point about careers is a valid one, IMax. I did take my lip rings out when I interviewed for my current position (although I left my earrings in). However, I honestly would have had to think a lot more carefully about accepting the job if I would have had to take my piercings out when I was at the office. They're a huge part of who I am, and they've become a part of my identity (that might sound sad to those of you who don't understand the desire to get pierced). I know I'll take them out eventually, but I'm just not ready to right now. Believe it or not, I like having them, and I'm probably going to get more in the very near future. Does that mean I should be judged simply because my personality is more visible than others?

Oh, and by the way Pumpkin_King, I know exactly how you feel when you say you're embarrassed by some people's beliefs...

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:31 AM

outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby!

For all you non tattooed, and non pierced scapers out there, here is a picture for your viewing pleasure! Me, in full "tackle".
enjoy! I am here to answer all your questions like...how do you blow your nose? How do you pick your nose? Does liquid seep out your lip hole? Did mommy and daddy give you enough attention as a kid?(YES!)
Do you hate yourself?(NO!) These are just some of the obvious ones. Oh yeah, I love this one...Does it hurt? Of course it did, but not enough to make me want to take them out. Hell, these aren't even considered "extreme" .

SCAPE OR DIE!
Great transactions with: Cavalier,Jim,rudyvalentine,Hilo Scaper,land.scape,Lord Pyre,Cosmo,Hogg,TheSilverSurfer,lefton4ya,Superfrog wargamingaddict87...

Last edited by outforblood; July 13th, 2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old July 13th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Speaking as someone who is more invested in volleyball than you, don't do it. Apart from that there isn't anything I can likely say to encourage you to change your mind.
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

By the way - I have tattoos. But not on my face. I can hide mine for job interviews. And nobody ever had to be rushed to the emergency room when they caught their tattoo on a volleyball and ripped it off.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM

acdveins Woo who?

InfiityMax, please don't take this as the beginning of a flame war as I have seen many of your post and I respect you as a member of this forum and as a human being.

That being said I think I can disagree with you on friendly level and not start a hatred.

Obviously piercing aren't for job interviews. you wouldn't wear your standard boxers and T-shirt that you wear when sittting in the basement playng scape when your wife/girlfriend isn't home to a job interview. It's common sense. What my post was about is people judging others based on what they see rather than what they do.

Quote:
It is sheer ignorance to say that people should not judge these two men by their appearances. They have made decisions about their appearance based on the image they want to project. The well-dressed guy may be a poor schmuck in a borrowed suit, and the dirty fellow may have chipped his tooth while working in the yard behind his mansion, but either way, each projects an image with his appearance. Saying that they do not, and asking people not to make judgments about them, is to bury your head in the sand.
I think here you actually prove my point. Yes, most people can and will make judgements about these two people, but in your example they would be the wrong ones. That is my point. Judging people based on their looks is completely useless and ignorant.

I understand that in the career world that a piercing can be detrimental. Part of my point was that piercings can be taken out easily before an interview. When I have a job interview, I take my lip ring out.

My main point is that different things mean different things to different people. Some people think a lip ring is cool, and some people thing a lip ring is ugly and defines you as a trendy ignorant person. Who is correct? Neither one because it is an opinion.

On another note, I love this discussion. I love debating with people who don't get mad when someone disagrees with them. I love heroscapers.com!

...I say kill her off.
Yeah, but you say plenty of things, and how's that work? You're a bicycle!
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Quote:
I think here you actually prove my point. Yes, most people can and will make judgements about these two people, but in your example they would be the wrong ones. That is my point. Judging people based on their looks is completely useless and ignorant.
It doesn't really matter if people's judgements are right or wrong, they will still be made. In Imax's example, if both men leave the dentist's office and make their way to their vehicles, a carjacker waiting outside isn't going to pay attention to the dirty fellow as he makes his way to his '98 Saturn SL2, he's going to follow the well dressed guy that makes his way to his leased Hummer H2. The bad guy doesn't have anything else to go by other than these two guys' appearances, so he chooses to rob the guy that "looks" like he's got a lot of money. It's not the well dressed man's fault that he got robbed, he didn't dress like that in order to get robbed, but it happened anyway.

A woman that dresses sleazy just because she likes to wear that type of clothing is going to get a lot of attention. She might not be "easy" but she projects an image that regardless of whether she likes it or not, she's going to get a lot of attention and some of it might be rather crude. Now woman at the same workplace may dress really conservative and garner little attention for her looks, but may actually work evenings as a stripper or prostitute, or just be really promisquous (sp?). Regardless of whether other people's judgements are right or wrong, they are going to have some sort of affect on the judged, it can be very little or it can be alot. People may often be undeserving of the affects that they receive from their appearances, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens, right or wrong.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
People may often be undeserving of the affects that they receive from their appearances, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens, right or wrong.
I don't think anyone's arguing that judgment doesn't happen. Unfortunately that's the world we live in right now (I'm as guilty as the next guy). But I think the more we raise awareness about stereotypes, the closer we can move to a judgment-free society. To speak to IMax's point again, I'm happy with the way I look, and I certainly don't want to be judged simply because I had a say in my appearance. All my current tattoos can covered up if necessary, but I'm thrilled to work for a company where I don't have to do that.

And while I don't think piercing-ism or tattoo-ism (or whatever you want to call it) is anywhere near the same level as racism or sexism (which are still major issues in this country), I stand by my point that we need to move towards a culture where no one is judged based on their appearance (does anyone actually disagree with me on this, or am I attacking a straw-man at this point?).

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General