Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 16th, 2006, 09:26 AM
math olympian

mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The matchup calculator says Negoksa's strategy of Attempt-Mindshackle-only-and-do-not-normal-attack has a 53.9% chance of success against Krug. (It would be a long battle, averaging over 10 complete turns.)

So Sudema is not the only unit that has a better than 50% chance versus Krug. (Sudema is 61.6% vs Krug with her SoS strategy.)
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM

nickmodaily has disabled reputation
As someone stated before, 50 points worth of Warriors of Ashra can take down Krug VERY easily. Spending 140 points for Seduma seems pretty excessive.

These ugly ladies could also do some damage to Jotun. But you'd have to make sure that they weren't adjacent to eachother while still engaged with him. And he could still use his four dice special attack on just one of them to negate their Defensive Agility. But if you saw that your opponent was drafting Jotun you could stock up with 2-3 squads. I haven't tried it yet, but with them taking out Krug so quickly, I'm thinking that they might stand a chance agianst Jotun.

Or you could do what everyone else says: range (and lots of it).

"It is not possible to fight beyond your strength, even if you strive."
Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy
The matchup calculator says Negoksa's strategy of Attempt-Mindshackle-only-and-do-not-normal-attack has a 53.9% chance of success against Krug. (It would be a long battle, averaging over 10 complete turns.)

So Sudema is not the only unit that has a better than 50% chance versus Krug. (Sudema is 61.6% vs Krug with her SoS strategy.)
The problem with both of these options is that while you're using turn markers on Seduma or Negoksa, your opponent can either try to take Krug into your other forces swinging his two attack dice. Or they could just not put any order markers on Krug and use other units to take out your forces. In theory, it would take Seduma or Negoksa quite a few turns to take out Krug. But then again, you could get lucky.

Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old September 17th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Thor has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmodaily
These ugly ladies could also do some damage to Jotun. But you'd have to make sure that they weren't adjacent to eachother while still engaged with him. And he could still use his four dice special attack on just one of them to negate their Defensive Agility. But if you saw that your opponent was drafting Jotun you could stock up with 2-3 squads. I haven't tried it yet, but with them taking out Krug so quickly, I'm thinking that they might stand a chance agianst Jotun.
Against Krug the Warriors of Ashra are great since one shield can block ANY of Krug's attacks. Against Jotun though, I think they would have a fair amount of trouble. You would have to engage him one at a time to keep from getting multiple figures hit by wild swing. With 4 attack he should be taking a WoA out almost every attack. Conversely with 4 defense and 7 life you are going to have to send a lot of WoA to whittle Jotun down. And only sending one at a time is gonna take forever.

I would rather just use range figures like the 4th Mass. to surround Jotun and open fire shooting him 4 times per turn. He would have to move from figure to figure to kill one MM per turn, all the while you are moving around him taking pot shots. Three squads of Minute Men should definetly be able to take Jotun down, and they cost 15 points less.
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmodaily
Against Krug the Warriors of Ashra are great since one shield can block ANY of Krug's attacks. Against Jotun though, I think they would have a fair amount of trouble. You would have to engage him one at a time to keep from getting multiple figures hit by wild swing. With 4 attack he should be taking a WoA out almost every attack. Conversely with 4 defense and 7 life you are going to have to send a lot of WoA to whittle Jotun down. And only sending one at a time is gonna take forever.

I would rather just use range figures like the 4th Mass. to surround Jotun and open fire shooting him 4 times per turn. He would have to move from figure to figure to kill one MM per turn, all the while you are moving around him taking pot shots. Three squads of Minute Men should definetly be able to take Jotun down, and they cost 15 points less.
So I did a couple of practice runs with the Warriors of Ashra against Jotun and they did MUCH better than I thought.

You don't have to only send in one at a time. You just have to make sure that they don't touch each other. Since Jotun is two hexes big, you can fit four Warriors around him without them being adjacent. This means that you can still attack him at 3 attack dice 3 times per turn. Jotun has the option of either attacking one Warrior at eight dice (with the Warriors only needing one shield to block all damage) or he can attack one Warrior at four dice (special attack) in the hopes of out-rolling the Warrior's three defense.

I thought that I would need two, maybe three, squads of Warriors, but I only needed two. And even then, in both test runs I only lost two Warriors. The first time it took six order markers, the second time it only took three.

Worst case scenario: Jotun takes out two Warriors per turn (one with an attack, one with a throw). But with the Warriors rolling three attack dice (3x per order marker) vs Jotun's four defense, they wittle him down fairly quickly.

I was surprised at how often the WOA would roll enough shields to block any skulls on Jotun's four attack dice. Any other units wouldn't stand a chance as they would be smashed by his eight attack dice. But the Defensive Agility really waters down Jotun's strength. The Warriors actually have a chance of walking out alive (...as many of them did).

The key is to make sure that your girls never touch. If you wanted to play it REALLY safe, you could draft four squads of WOA. I guarantee that they could take down Jotun as long as you didn't let them touch each other. And it still costs less than 225 points.

Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:57 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
If I were the bug giant, I'd throw a WoA right between 2 that are nicely 1 space apart and voila, a 3 hit wild swing.

I guess Jotun would have to counter with terrain, get next to water or some other chokepoint in order to bunch the amazons. Best part about water is it can't kill a fig, but sets them up perfectly for the swing.

I still think that 200 points of WoA would fare well, just that Joun might represent a little better.
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb
Yes! Don't attack Krug, then chase him around the board with Ne-Gok-Sa with his 6 defense...
Like what he said. Engage Krug with Ne-Gok-Sa, and don't do any damage. Krug will need to seperate with engagement, and eventually you'll be able to mindshackle him.
That's nice in theory, but with Krug's eight life, he can just disengage and attack something else.
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM

drdoom1117 has disabled reputation
Tagawa Samurai own Krug especially if he doesn't throw skulls and you throw alot of shields for Counterstrike!!
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
Again, Krug can disengage them, and if he takes some passing swipes he is then boosted up for the poor sap that's going to get attacked by him.
Old September 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blanks
Again, Krug can disengage them, and if he takes some passing swipes he is then boosted up for the poor sap that's going to get attacked by him.
According to the rules, the passing swipe is optional.

Homer, Iliad, XIV 1. 214
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM

willwall54022 has disabled reputation
Krug - out range (syvarris,4th mass,krav, Aubrien etc.
Jotun- ive had luck with killing him with charos and Q9

Some people say sexy and some people say willwall54022
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
CRIXUS for both.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles