Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Notices

Old February 25th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Confred's RPG Customs - Mice & Mystics

MINIONS

Design Notes:
Originally, I had one card for Rat Warriors. Then as I read the free sample chapter, I figured it would be cool and more thematic to have a card for each different type of rat, slowly revealing tougher foes as the party ventures on.
The Jailers are the party's first encounter and I wanted them to make them the weakest version of Rat.
Defense: The source material has Rats at Attack 2 Defense 2. These are weaker at 2/1, but in their home environment - jails outside of dungeons? nahh - they are equivalent to their more expensive cousins.
Surge: Surge is a mechanic in the source game. There's a surge timer that will eventually repopulate the encounter. So all* the enemies have it. At 20, it's not likely, but it's still a possibility.
now to try them out
CHAPTER 1 - Three brave mice search for their prince.
Rat Jailers {15} vs Tilda, Nez, and Maginos {15}
I purposely chose mice that haven't had much shine.
Map: Sorocco
Glyphs: Yes: unknown treasure: trap = 1-4: wound

Tilda gets squashed before she can do anything.
Test her power working on herself; drop Defense to 1.
10%
Maginos felt good this game. I like his slower, older, pondering Move pace. I like that his Range keeps him relevant.
Draw Power: You get to see what the defender rolls before you choose whether or not to reroll. Some interesting tactics unlock, but is it intentional? Is it right? Should it be?
70%
Nez: Scramble I keep forgetting to use Scramble until after I lose a figure or two. Nez, and perhaps Tilda too, could have survived and perhaps even captured a Glyph.
25%
Rat Jailers are meaner than I expected. Either their Attack needs to drop to 1 or their Points increase to 20.
Testing at 20 points
15%
Rats win easily; Our heroes are captured and brought to a cell where they find whom they've been looking for.
----------------
CHAPTER 2 - Collin leads his loyal companions to escape, but the party is spotted once again.
Rat Jailers {20} vs Collin, Tilda, Nez, and Maginos {20}
Adding Collin tips the scales
Glyphs: Yes: unknown treasure: trap = 1-4: wound

Scramble: I actually remembered to use Scramble! Maginos ventured out too far and was attacked. He successfully defended and then scrambled to height, in that Scramble, Nez moved within 5 spaces of Collin - The next om was on Collin, whom lead Tilda to the Treasure as he regrouped with the now in place Nez.
The next Scramble was with the Arrangement of Tilda-Maginos-Collin with an unrevealed om on Collin vs last Jailer. Tilda had dropped her treasure a turn earlier. The jailer attacked and was defended. Maginos scrambled to range. Nez scrambled forward to replace Maginos and get defended by Tilda, picking up the treasure along the way. Nez ended his move adjacent to Collin to be lead on the next order marker with an impressive 3+1 from Armory Tinker attack. He only rolled 1 skull, but the rat rolled 0 shields.
Scramble should possibly only move figures 2 spaces.
Mice win with little effort.
60%
Tilda: Tested at Defense 1: Her lowered defense increased tension when she got into conflict, which was good - generated empathy. But her Draw Empathetic Power wasn't needed, because like Maginos' Draw Power, the player sees his opponent's attack results before deciding whether to reroll her defense. For simplicity's sake, this might still be fine. Another proposal is to get her power to trigger off of Blanks instead of Shields, but that is a power boost I'm not ready to explore.
15%
Collin: The apparent reason why this went so much better was the additional moves and attacks given by Collin. Is Collin too good for 5 pts?
80%
Maginos: The rats attacked Maginos twice and he successfully defended, but he also failed to connect his attacks. His Draw Power special power feels good despite the concerns. He seems both appropriately strong and appropriately weak.
80%
Nez: For the most part, Nez feels like the odd man out - That is until he can either Attack or Tinker. After rolling 1 and 2 dice, Nez felt glorifyingly burly.
35%
Rat Jailers: Dungeon Defense feels good. Attack feels right (though they kept whiffing or 1-skull-vs-1-shielding). 20 Points is correct.
40%
Surge: Triggering after the move felt awkward; stopping to roll the 20-sided die and look at Army Cards was a gearshifter that affected momentum. Perhaps either Surge triggers after attacking or before moving. Figures returned with Surge - especially those on the same Army Card - feel like they should be able to join the assault immediately. With that said, having a difficult roll on a cheap figure felt correct and didn't stop me from cheering the dice on.
30%
The mice search for more treasure.

TREASURE GLYPH: Get on with it Cone! What Treasure did they find? What are they bringing with them to their next journey?
Spoiler Alert!

The treasure and its story were chosen at random

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.

Last edited by Confred; February 27th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old February 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Confred's RPG Customs - Mice & Mystics - Rat Jailers

CHAPTER 3 - The Mouse Party continues their search for Treasure in Sorocco, but bought far less time than expected.
Rat Jailers x2 {40} vs Collin, Tilda, Nez (Glyph Of Gloves), and Maginos {20}
Friend played the mice.
Glyphs: Yes: unknown treasure/power : trap = 1-4: wound

Scramble: Friend agreed that the free move was too great at 4 spaces. For this battle, we however kept the power at 4 spaces. It was used often. It kept the team tight, on high ground, and once safe from the 2nd Jailer attacking. Scramble is effective for swooping in on dropped treasure and the disengaging away.
Test Scramble at 3 spaces.
45%
Tilda: Tilda was used early as a throw-away Glyph-grabber. She didn't perform well otherwise. Something about her needs to be done. Test Tilda with version 2.2.2 of Draw Empathetic Power.
10%
Draw Empathetic Power: Version 2.2.2: If Tilda or an adjacent friendly Mouse rolls defense dice and rolls at least one blank, that figure may reroll that defense before taking any damage. When rerolling, figures roll an additional defense die for each blank rolled.: Version changes wording to make it easier to understand how to reroll and tests using blanks instead of shields as trigger. New wording enables easier coop modes where players each control only one mouse.
15%
Maginos: Maginos' slowness was often just enough to prevent him from gaining ground, which he most often climbed with Scramble. His Range is huge for this scale, which also makes up for his Move.
Draw Power rephrased to match Tilda's new wording.
90%
Draw Power: Reworded to match Draw Empathetic Power: If Maginos rolls attack dice and rolls at least one skull, he may reroll that attack before dealing any damage. When rerolling, Maginos rolls an additional attack die for each skull rolled. Figures roll defense dice only once. The power works. It feels good.
70%
Collin: Collin's greatness is humbled when he gets splattered. It's true he is good, but Life 1 Defense 1 is no joke. Born To Lead reworded to better enable coop mode where each player controls only one mouse.
85%
Born To Lead: Reworded for coop: After revealing a numbered order marker from Collin and before taking that turn, an adjacent friendly hero may take a turn.
55%
Nez: Nez started this battle wearing Glyph Of Gloves, which is essentially Chest Of Brandar. However, his Armory Tinker special power is beef enough to make a difference. He was the cleanup figure. Unfortunately he whiffed when his time came.
55%
Rats win, barely. Our heroes are recaptured and all Treasure Glyphs forfeited for the next game.
Rat Jailers: Only Jailers were used this battle so my friend new to Heroscape wouldn't be overwhelmed. They never got to utilize Dungeon Defense this time but their Attack 2 kept feeling appropriately nasty. And it's confirmed that Surge needs to be altered. It's possible their points really are 15. Jailers rolled well and still barely won even though they had 10+ extra Points.
45%
Surge: Triggering after the move continued to feel awkward: SURGE 20
After revealing a numbered order marker from a Rat Jailer, but before taking the turn, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 20 or higher, choose any previously destroyed figure you control that has the Surge special power. Remove all wounds from the chosen figure's Army Card and then place that figure on any empty space adjacent to a Rat Jailer you control. If the chosen figure is a Rat Jailer, it may be chosen to move and attack this turn.
Wording is longer, but will be tested for now. Removes wounds for Surging Heroes and enables squad rebuilding/ambush.
30%

I printed out 5 random Treasures and one random Power...

Power Glyph Of Protect
When revealed, from a random glyph position, immediately assign it to a qualifying Unique Hero (hero only?) Once assigned, this Power Glyph is never dropped and carries over from chapter to chapter in this campaign. If somehow a figure with any Power Glyphs on its card becomes negated, it loses all Glyphs. (maybe not)
30%
This Power Glyph was assigned to Collin, Warrior Prince.
Protect: This Glyph was actually the first Power Glyph created for this set. The version used this chapter is not the one you see. In the source material, you activated the power during your turn and it carries over until your next turn. This "sorcery speed" power didn't bode well in testing - thus this version seen here. Source has the affected figures doubling their blocks, but perhaps the chosen figure should increase its defense dice by the amount of this figure's defense?

Last edited by Confred; February 27th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:03 PM

Treasure Glyph Of Shifting Cloak

I don't have Mice & Mystics, so I scour the net for anything I can get on it. Sometimes I find images of actual cards. And other times, like today's feature, I'll find a description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardGameGeek
Shifting Cloak
The scamp’s best defensive option! One additional, permanent defense die is amazing as it is, and the cloak’s effect allows for a rare out of turn movement without requiring an ability card. Once you have this item, you can rush into the fray of rats and roaches. You are likely to block attacks (average one hit from Rat Warriors, Elite Rats and Roaches vs one shield) and can escape easily. Note that you can use the cloak’s property even if you share a space with multiple minions, since you are not ‘moving’ out of the space. You can even combine the item with your Dodge ability card to fool Vanestra’s minions and protect your fellow mice: shift only one space, which makes Filch the closest mouse, and then use dodge to elude pursuing minions. Finally, Filch can even act as bodyguard, shifting into paths of approaching minions and protecting his companions - as long as the scamp defends successfully. My favourite item for Filch!
There is good, usable information here: One auto shield + movement.
My immediate inspiration is Disappearing Ninja with the movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Glyph Of Shifting Cloak
SHIFTING DODGE
When rolling defense dice, you may subtract any dice from your roll to move this figure that many spaces. After moving, add one shield to whatever is rolled and this figure takes any damage as normal. When moving with Shifting Dodge, this figure may move through all figures and objects and is never attacked for leaving an engagement.
So this treasure shifts defense dice to stealthy movement, allowing the figure to also phase/shift through obstacles.
The source description says the movement isn't always. It's true I could have made it a 20-sided roll, but I like the theme behind converting resources. This way the player has some decisions, since losing those dice can mean losing their figure.

From here the card gets tested for power and the wording gets scrutinized. Often research is done and I get tempted once again to make Custom Tech Talk and official thread.

Shifting Cloak is very good. But our description Did say that it's one of the best defensive items.

Will our heroes find this cloak in their next mission?

Teaser: The art image is for Glyph Of Tattered Threads Of Reasoning

Last edited by Confred; March 4th, 2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:02 PM

Re: Confred's RPG Customs - *Updated* - Shifting Cloak desig

CHAPTER 4 - After Collin and his loyal retainers get captured once again, the party is put in a new cell with thicker doors and Rat Guards instead of normal Jailers. There they discuss their plans, which get interrupted by another figure in cell they at first did not see.

Filch joins your army!
Filch reveals a hidden passage leading to a courtyard. But he warns that there is a reason he chooses to stay in a cell..

Old Crow (Single-Hex)
Old Crow {90} vs Collin (Power Glyph Of Protect), Tilda, Nez, Maginos, and Filch {25*}
Map: Alkali Lake
Heavy Snow, Slippery Ice
Glyphs: Yes: x1: unknown treasure: trap = 1-4: wound.
Special Rules:
Win: Blue army wins at the end of the turn if all surviving blue figures are in red's starting zone and at the edge of the map.
Lose: If red army destroys any blue figures, players keep playing but blue army must replay mission without the destroyed figures. The destroyed figures are replaced by Glyphs Of Brandar and are placed adjacent to the 15-height Evergreen Tree by red player. On replay, replace Old Crow with Rat Guards.
Treasure: There is one Glyph on this Map. If win, may keep all Treasure for the next Chapter. Old Crow may move onto this Glyph, but he never picks up or uses this Glyph.
Power: If blue army destroys Old Crow, choose one Power Glyph at random and give it to the surviving figure with the fewest number of Power Glyphs on its Army Card. win or lose, keep all Power Glyphs for the next Chapter.
Lily: Under the bridge and its handrails is a safe zone against Old Crow. Before placing order markers, if all figures you control are in a safe zone, place Lily on the battlefield adjacent to a figure you control. Lily joins your army. If you replay this mission, you cannot gain Lily this way.
Time: At the beginning of Round 5, before placing order markers, red army gains 1 squad of Rat Guards. Every 5 additional rounds adds a squad of Rat Guards.

===BATTLE REPORT===
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Confred; March 10th, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old December 29th, 2018, 09:17 PM

Re: Confred's RPG Customs - Chapter 4 - Old Crow!

This was a commission intended to be played in DnDscape by the customer's young son.
In retrospect, it's a little wordy, but there is much utility with him.

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:47 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I just noticed it says Conefed 2018 down in the bottom right corner. I imagine you were going for Confred? I'm digging the mice cards and such. Reminds me of the old cartoon Redwall. Loved that show.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 31st, 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I just noticed it says Conefed 2018 down in the bottom right corner. I imagine you were going for Confred? I'm digging the mice cards and such. Reminds me of the old cartoon Redwall. Loved that show.
I'm actually Conefed. I don't know why I randomly changed it up when I created this account of so long ago.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs