Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM

yonilw is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Help Designing new maps

hi everyone,

this is my fist time posting so please be patient with me. I am currently trying to start designing my own maps, but i need a little help to start with. I have 1 Rise of the valkery 1 Swarm of the marrow and 1 castle set.
But i am completely stumped on how to start to build my own maps. i have virtualscape already. any advice would help a lot. also any basic maps using those sets that i could look at and use to help me learn how to design my own would be greatly appreciated.

Yonilw
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Help Designing new maps

First, welcome to the site!

Second, you should check out these maps for inspirations. These are the best, most balanced maps there are.

Third, getting started is usually the hardest part for me. It can take me a while to get sufficient inspiration or an idea for a map. Just keep looking around or messing with the tiles and eventually you will get an idea.

Finally, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or another member.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Shalom!

To see maps others have made with what you have, check out the Heroscape.cz map database. After you make a map, if you want to share with us, either taka picture or make it in VirtualScape and click on the stickied thread in this forum How to share your maps with the world.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Welcome aboard yonilw!

Warlord Alpha linked you to a collection of maps that are considered to be top-notch battlefields for 1v1 500 point deathmatch style maps. Anything you find in the BoV is going to be balanced and play very well over pretty much ANY army build.

It is important to note that this style of map is just ONE WAY to build. While I've nothing but high praise for the BoV, its very important to consider what style of game you want to play when building a good map. I know I often find myself with 2-3 friends coming over to play, and more often than not a BoV map is just to small (or altogether no suited) for my expected number of players. I'm currently a judge on the "Warzones of Valhalla" project - a similar idea to that of the BoV but with 3-4 players in mind.

That said, with your small collection of terrain (no offense intended) you might want to cut your teeth on the BoV maps first.

OH, I always like to link you young nooblars to these very excellent and must-read threads:
Mmirg's Positive, Productive Posting
Miniature Geek's Better Posting and You Revisited
Not that there was anything wrong with your post (in fact as far as first posts go it was very good) but if you follow the sage advice offered in those two posts you'll enjoy your time on these boards a whole lot more!

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Welcome!!!

I just started designing maps on Virtual Scape too. What I just found out was to just go. Start putting pieces down and add on to it. If you don't like it, move things around a little. It's sometimes better to start with non-symmetrical maps too.
Edit: Also I usually start on the borders.
~KL

Last edited by Killer Lawnmower; July 13th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
Welcome!!!

I just started designing maps on Virtual Scape too. What I just found out was to just go. Start putting pieces down and add on to it. If you don't like it, move things around a little. It's sometimes better to start with non-symmetrical maps too.
Edit: Also I usually start on the borders.
~KL
My advice is very similar, barring one thing: I recommend starting from the center instead of the borders. Never include high ground in the start zone or extremely close to it. High ground should go closer to the center.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM

yonilw is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Thanks for the great advice, one thing i forgot to post in my first post was that my games are usually 4-6 players, so its especially tough to find good maps using the limited terrain i have.

yonilw
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Bulldog is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Shalom!

To see maps others have made with what you have, check out the Heroscape.cz map database. How to share your maps with the world.
Thanks. I was just looking for something like this. Just one question. Why aren't Underdark on the list?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Just got my very first master set today and don't know anyone playing heroscape.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios