Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old December 12th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Brets Woo who?
More terrain?

New sets are so expensive

is it cheaper to make my own via 3d printer or using molds?
Old December 12th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: More terrain?

3d printing is not a cheap option but great if you have no originals from which to make molds which is a better option, price-wise.
Lots of tutorials on tons of terrain onsite and continues to grow.

Is there a certain terrain you are interested in?

Looks like you are a long time Lurker, welcome to the light.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:52 PM

Brets Woo who?

I mainly need the smaller tile expansions but more 24 hex pieces would be nice too
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I know my 3D printer would only go as big as a 3-hex piece and maybe a custom 4-hex, though I have never tried. Hex pieces are the toughest of all.
My suggestion would be printed maps for the base, or pick up the Magic/Heroscape out right now with the handy cardboard maps and try to pick up loose pieces online.

Check out this thread for making hexes.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:07 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I own a 3D printing too, and printing a single hex takes too long to do complete sets.

- Cheap: molds
- Fast molds:
- Quality & durability: original
- Extreme customization: 3D printing.
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby! DragonSlayer2 rolls all skulls baby!

As a 3D printer owner myself, Ideally what someone would want to do is make a proto-type with a 3D printer. Then, do some post printing clean-up (support removal, sanding, etc) and then make a mold of the item they created. It just isn't practical to mass produce items on a 3D printer.

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old May 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Art is surprisingly tart

I guess it depends on what you consider too much time for 3-D printing. Since it takes two hours to print with quality, but I have over 40 by printing 3 a day. That took a couple weeks, but the total time spent was maybe 2 hours total. So if you just print one overnight when you go to bed and start another right before you leave for work that leaves only one in the evening right when you get home. I spend a lot more time creating the hexes. I have around 8 styles now that I have also printed to make sure that they are as good as I want them to be. In a month you should be able to have at least 80 with very little time invested. I have a slow printer and I am sure I could actually get one every hour and a half without noticeable loss because of painting.
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:09 PM

Teazia knows what's in an order marker Teazia knows what's in an order marker

Art speaks the truth. The cost of filament is quite low these days too, so unless you are in a hurry, you can build up a collection in a short time. I have noticed that the print stl files we have are quite good, but they are better in tandem with official tiles (interlocking). An entire collection of printed tiles ime so far would not work as magically as Hasbro hexes. But for stacking and spot interlocking, they are great.
Old May 13th, 2016, 05:24 AM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

You need to adjust the STLs to your printer's resolution. If I was to print a big set I would make the little locking pieces a bit wider, so they fit tightly into other printed pieces.
Old May 13th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
You need to adjust the STLs to your printer's resolution. If I was to print a big set I would make the little locking pieces a bit wider, so they fit tightly into other printed pieces.
I have the hex files in Creo. I can change all the locking pieces just by changing a dimension or two (but keep the rest of the hex the same size).

The .stl files I've been putting out work with my printer, but I know they'll be loose on a more accurate printer. If anyone wants me to adjust the locking, I can put out several hexes of different interlock sizes for people to test print until they find one they like.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles