Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old September 15th, 2014, 01:20 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: WARGROUNDS of SCAPE (WoS) - discussion thread

Q: Are Lexan Mats, Auggie's 5 Minute Scape mats and other printed flat maps allowed. Technically they can be replaced with a mess of the actual terrain they are representing so would fit the criteria in the OP, but I know there are a few maps designed with these mats and I wondered if they could be included for review. Personally, I think a map with an entire first level of road or shadow is a great addition that adds so much to maps, but is not feasable with BoV guidilnes.
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:23 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Mm, good question.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Q: Are Lexan Mats, Auggie's 5 Minute Scape mats and other printed flat maps allowed. Technically they can be replaced with a mess of the actual terrain they are representing so would fit the criteria in the OP, but I know there are a few maps designed with these mats and I wondered if they could be included for review. Personally, I think a map with an entire first level of road or shadow is a great addition that adds so much to maps, but is not feasable with BoV guidilnes.
Yes, such a map would be reviewable, for as you note, there are no strict terrain requirements. As long as the map can be built with regular pieces, it's eligible.

Different judges probably have different standards on this stuff (which is the point of having multiple judges!) but I would look more kindly on a map that had 20 shadow tiles if it was noted that it was compatible with a shadow lexan mat.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Such a map would also be easily usable online, which also helps, I imagine.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:03 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

I had some extra time and the materials so I made you guys a badge. Don't know if this will come in handy but:

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:42 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
I had some extra time and the materials so I made you guys a badge. Don't know if this will come in handy but:

Hah hah, that's awesome. Thanks oodles Ninja Status. We'll sport it with pride.

(Who has the power to bestow it? @Xorlof ?)
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:17 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:

Cool, @Ninja Status !. Looks like a perfect font match. Any chance of redoing it with the font a little less bold?

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:13 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Quote:

Cool, @Ninja Status !. Looks like a perfect font match. Any chance of redoing it with the font a little less bold?
Sure, here are two more. Feel free to choose between them.

Last edited by Ninja Status; October 3rd, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I am going to dust off an old post of mine and modify it ever so slightly:

I'd like to nominate Wyrmwalk by Panopticon:

.hsc file
topdown

Requirements are D&Dx2, RttFF, and VW.

I played on this map and watched/reviewed a ton of other games on it, and I like the way it plays. Good dynamics in range/melee, nice for double spacers, etc. I really like the way the battle tends to spread around the map. The road, the shadow tiles, and the LoS blockers are very well used.

To be honest, it doesn't hurt that it looks really nice in the online interface, too. Nice footprint shape for a top-down.

I have very few complaints. One is that flyers can reach one glyph but not the other on OM1, but that's not such a big deal.

FWIW I've never used the suggested trap, but it looks fun, interesting, and probably balanced.

YEA to induct.
Old October 7th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Oh good call on Wyrmwalk dok. I'll look forward to reviewing it.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:34 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Will we ever truly know what cataclysmic event destroyed the once majestic city of Clionesia? Was it dragon fire or volcanic eruptions? Or perhaps an ‘Enormous 55’ size feline heedlessly walked across the city knocking over walls and figures with reckless abandon. That’s what happened when I tried to rebuild the once thriving city. There were no survivors. A moment of silence for those figures receiving enough wounds to be destroyed…….Nala respects not the battle of all time……

Well housecat map destruction aside, Remains of Clionesia has been utilized multiple times within the online community and now deigns to seek acceptance into the prestige ‘Wargrounds of Scape’. So prestigious that not a single map has yet successfully made it past the esteemed WoS Council. Let’s delve now into what Clionesia’s remains have to offer.

1) How many mountains dews are required to stay awake during a range v range battle?
Remains is a small square map. I was trying to decide what building this may have been the remains of. Initially I thought it might be some government office, but then decided this was once the Mall of Clionesia, and we are looking at the remains of an anchor store. Possibly a Macys or Sears. The startzones (presumably they were once the Clionesian parking lots) are far enough apart to prevent any OM1 attack potential, but this still feels like a small map with the spread out startzones and the vast amount of road in the center. Because of the short nature of the map and stretchy startzones, action comes quickly. Typically the potential to creep forward with range to hit the opposing startzone with height is too tempting to pass up, and this reduces any major camping. You need to take several activations to claim the level 4 areas and even then there are a limited amount of spaces to hold there. The level 3 areas are closer, but really won’t do if you plan on camping with range, because you will be often attacking even or up at oncoming fire. If only the escalators had remained intact making it easier to make it to the top floor and height. But of course making it very dangerous for dwarves and goblins getting stuck and shredded at the top and bottom of the deathscalators.
Mountain Dew Caffeine Rating: 0.5/5 (Great!)

2) How much additional teeth gnashing with Raelin will be had
Raelin is potentially annoying, and not just because she won’t stop talking on her cell phone to Kelda about the Kyrie fashion department. The relatively small short map means she can cover a lot of actionable spaces in her aura and not have to go very far to do it, although the ruins do a decent job of cutting off her vision, it’s still pretty aura friendly when you can get to the height of the map in one turn and cover a good portion of the visible fighting area. Strong glyphs will hinder this though as the ruins do a good job of cutting field of vision from the center to the edges. (After all that’s probably where the women’s dressing rooms were)
Raelin Dread: 2.5/5 (meh)

3) Melee viability
I really like the setup of this map in this area. The ruins are great to duck behind when approaching, and so are the castle walls outside of the startzones. You have quite a bit of cover for advancing on lame turtling armies as need be. The road is pretty abundant in all the most crucial places, although I actually like that most of the road is NOT covered by the castle walls, giving you some choices between speed or cover. Again it’s a relatively short, quick map so I didn’t see any issues with making up ground when being outgunned.
Meleeishness: 5/5 (Great!)

(So kd, is a high number good or bad? You be quiet, I will adjust my scores as I want)

4) GILF or Glyph I’d like to Fetch
How is that glyph placement? I have no problems here. The power glyphs are 7 spaces away and I’m ok with that. I really dislike glyphs that are 6 away. I prefer 8, but 7 is usable. Glyph takers are going to be under some pressure which is also highly desirable. Half surrounded by height and can be easily attacked down on from range and it’s a direct shot from the startzone. The glyphs probably be 3/5 on the power scale in order to draw action. Low power level glyphs tended to keep all the action towards the center, while high level glyphs drew all the action to the side(s).
GILF Rating: 4.5/5 (Great! Bring on Ethel and Gertrude…err I mean Valda and Oreld)

5) Glorious Emperor Zelrig domination of lame, weak, squadscape armies
We always should have a nice cushy double space perch for Zelrig to bomb the gazoomba out of any startzone comprised of max spaced squaddies. Bring back heroscape for the heroes! Alas, this map does not allow that. In fact, it is decidedly cruel to doubled spaced guys, especially the flyers. I only checked a few figures, but those ruins make it very difficult for most of the high profile dragons to fit there. So alright, I kinda like that, but Z does not. And not only that, we have the two row startzone making it easier for those nasty squads to avoid clumping. Bah
Emperor Friendliness: 0/5 (to taste)

So Remains of Clionesia is great. Maybe not as great as it was before the great feline domesticus cataclysm, but for sure a great spot to let your Valhallan armies clash to the death. I vote YES to induct Remains of Clionesia.

Last edited by kevindola; November 12th, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old October 10th, 2014, 04:45 PM

Now that was a fantastic review. If we reviewed reviews, I'd certainly vote to induct it into the hall of fame.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios