Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old July 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!
Rebasing: A Guide for Bases and Stickers

I can't take any of the credit for this. It is all mac122's doing. He put a lot of time (and money) into this and I think he made a very worthwhile contribution.

This post is a compilation of several of his posts with comparison photos and comparison prices for bases and stickers.

If you find this compilation helpful, please don't +rep me for it, please +rep mac122 for it!

SMALL SINGLE BASES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post

Here's a comparison of several base options for customs. Starting at the top and proceeding clockwise:
1. Official Classic base
2. Cavalier's base sticker on a painted Impact Miniatures base
3. New Impact base sticker on a painted Impact Miniatures base
4. Yodajunkie base

While none of the custom options are a "perfect" match for the Classic Heroscape base, each provides a reasonable facsimile and will help your customs fit in aesthetically with your official figures. The stickers from Impact and Cavalier are very similar in color, pattern, and thickness. Here are some pics of an Imperial Stormtrooper on each of the custom bases:
Yodajunkie

Yodajunkie casts his own bases in a brown resin then attaches the base sticker before sending them out. (He also offers Marvel style and a variety of custom colors).
Pros: Base is ready to use. Drill holes for pegs or use a hobby knife to remove the sticker where the figure will attach. Superglue works great to attach the figures. The pattern on the sticker is probably the closest (but not exact) match overall to Classic. Yodajunkie offers all sizes of Heroscape style bases except the small DnD bases that were introduced in Wave 12. Yodajunkie is the only supplier I'm aware of at this time that offers the peanut style bases. You can mix and match colors within lots.
Cons: The base sticker is thick and often difficult to remove just the right amount for glueing. The stickers are not die cut and are sometimes unevenly cut and adhered. I've had several bases arrive with knicks or scratches in the sticker. Also, due to casting method, the thickness and finish of the bases can vary.

Cavalier's sticker

Cavalier, a long-time member of Heroscapers, sells base stickers to help any base look more like Classic Heroscape (Marvel style, too).
Pros: Stickers are a good facsimile for the official sticker and are die-cut, ready to peel-and-stick. These are much easier to cut out spots to attach the figure to the base. Use these on bases from any supplier.
Cons: You'll have to buy and, if you want brown, paint your own bases. And, you'll have to place the stickers yourself. Stickers are only available for the small single size base.

Impact Miniatures' sticker

Impact Miniatures just started offering the base stickers sized to fit their 30mm and 40mm bases. Like the other suppliers, they offer Classic and Marvel style. Impact is exploring the possibility of offering double bases - stay tuned.
Pros: Much like Cavalier's stickers, they are also a great facsimile for the official base sticker. The print quality is a bit sharper than Cavalier's. They are die-cut and ready to peel-and-stick. They are currently available in small and large single sizes. Also, Impact sells bases in the small and large sizes (One-stop-shopping). It's very easy to remove spots for glueing. If you already have a ready supply of bases, Impact offers the stickers separately in 15 or 63 count lots.
Cons: While you can get the bases from Impact when you order stickers, you will have to paint them if you want brown. And, like Cavalier's, you will have to stick them on yourself. Currently not available in the peanut style bases (but they are exploring options).

To give you an idea on cost, here are some comparisons for small, single bases
Quote:
Yodajunkie
10 bases $5.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.70 each
50 bases $25.00 plus $2.00 shipping= $0.54 each
100 bases $50.00 plus free shipping= $0.50 each

Cavalier
50 stickers for $10.00 plus free shipping= $0.20 per sticker
60 bases from Impact $8.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.20 per base
50 bases/stickers unpainted*= $0.40 each
50 bases/stickers painted*= $0.45 each
100 bases/stickers painted ($20/100 stickers + $18/105 bases)**= $0.42 each
(*10 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)
(**5 leftover bases without stickers included in cost)

Impact Miniatures
15 Stickers/Bases $3.00 plus $4.00 shipping, unpainted= $0.47 each
15 Stickers/Bases painted= $0.52
60 Stickers/Bases $12.00 plus $4.00 shipping, unpainted= $0.27 each
60 Stickers/Bases painted= $0.32 each
105 Stickers/Bases painted $21.00 plus $4.00 shipping= $0.28 each

-Cost for painting is best estimate. Assumes one $4.68 can of spray paint will cover 100 bases.
-Shipping costs based on my zip code. Shipping may vary to different areas
Hope this helps (and I haven't confused anyone).

Edit: In case you were wondering, here's what Cavalier's (left) and Impact's (right) stickers look like on unpainted black bases.

LARGE SINGLE BASES
Quote:
Yodajunkie and Impact Miniatures offer options for your larger single-space figures as well. But why just tell you when I can show you.
You'll notice that they are not the same size. Yodajunkie's is a copy of the original Deathwalker base used in the earlier Classic waves. The Impact Miniatures base is 40mm which is pretty much an exact match for the large single bases introduced in the last DnD waves.

For further comparison, here are some examples using large single bases in the Classic Scape colors:

And some closer shots
Yodajunkie/Deathwalker size

That's an AT-43 Therian Assault Goliath on the Yodajunkie base.
Usually Yodajunkie's stickers are a bit closer in color and style to Classic. The batch of large singles I ordered has had much more green.

Impact/D2 size

That's a Mechwarrior Scourge Mech next to the Frost Giant.
Impact's stickers don't match exactly, but are of a similar style.

I'll post a price comparison for these tomorrow. It's getting late and I'm nearly dozing off at the computer.
Quote:
Here's the cost comparison I promised on the large bases. The only suppliers I know of that provide large single bases and Heroscape style stickers are Yodajunkie and Impact Miniatures. Note: When you navigate to the Impact site, the prices will be in British Pounds. You will need to register with Impact Miniatures and specify US currency.

Quote:
Large Single Base Price Comparison
Yodajunkie
7 bases for $5.00 + $2.00 shipping = $1.00 per base
35 bases for $25.00 + $2.00 shipping = $0.77 per base
70 bases for $50.00 + free shipping = $0.71 per base

Impact Miniatures
6 bases for $3.00 + $4.00 shipping = $1.17 per base
36 bases for $18.00 + $4.00 shipping = $0.61 per base
72 bases for $36.00 + $4.00 shipping = $0.56 per base
For Classic style, spray painting with Krylon Fusion Satin Boots Brown adds ~$0.05 per base.
Pricewise, if you only need a handful of large bases, Yodajunkie has a slight price advantage. But, once you start bulking up your orders, Impact quickly becomes the best deal.

I've used both of these bases and both have pros and cons depending on what you are looking for in a custom base. If you are a stickler for original official style, then Yodajunkie's copies of the DW9K base may be for you. The drawback is the inconsistent appearance and uneven cut of the sticker. Impact's won't match the original, but are a very close match for the D2/D3 bases introduced in the last waves. You'll have to paint them to get a Classic Scape brown, but unpainted they blend in with the Marvel bases quite well.
------------------------
At this time, Yodajunkie is the only supplier I'm aware of that offers the large and small peanut shaped double base. They suffer from the same inconsistencies as the other sizes, but short of cannibalizing double space official figures, they are the only way to go for official looking customs. I've used a dozen or more of these and have been quite happy with them.

I've had contact with Tom at Impact. They are exploring options for a peanut style base. Not sure when they'll be able to offer them. Stay tuned.

PEANUT BASES
Quote:
Sorry! I received the bases several weeks ago from Yodajunkie. While it took entirely too long to get them, Yodajunkie explained that there were some pretty heavy real-life issues he was dealing with. If you decide to order, I would suggest checking with him beforehand to see what the delivery time will be.

I've got 3 pictures: 2 of the base next to Sir Dupuis and 1 of Sir Dupuis next to a Templar Cavalry proxy figure I have mounted onto a new base.

As you can see, the color of the base itself is a bit darker than the official base and the sticker is a bit more green. While they aren't exact matches, IMO they are close enough.
Probably the most difficult part of rebasing was removing enough of the sticker to provide a place to glue the figures. Fortunately for my Templar proxies, I was able to remove them from their original bases leaving the attachment pegs intact. I was able to drill holes to mount them.

PAINTING BASES
Quote:
Thought I'd add to this thread with some new info. I've always used Yodajunkie's peanut bases and have been very happy with them. If you are planning to order the small single bases, and you will be using them on figures that may climb ladders, let him know when you place your order. His molding process allows for variations in the thickness of the base. On large or peanut bases, that's no problem, but can be an issue for ladders. If you let him know ahead of time, he said he will check them to make sure they fit OK.

Earlier in this discussion, someone suggested painting the Impact Miniatures bases. After the issue with the Yodajunkie bases, I decided to give it a try. I purchased a can of Fusion Satin Finish Brown spray paint from Lowes (or Home Depot, I don't remember) for $4.27. It works great! One coat does a great job. The satin finish isn't sticky and Cavalier's base stickers adhere very nicely to the top. So, for what it's worth, in the future, I'll continue to use Yodajunkie's peanut bases, but I'll stick with painting the Impact Miniatures bases and using Cavalier's stickers.

Edit: I believe it was Home Depot that carried the Fusion Spray paint. Currently, my local Home Depot no longer stocks Fusion. Wal-Mart has Fusion, but not this color. I've checked the Krylon Fusion website and they list several other stores that carry Fusion. When I find another outlet, I will post it.

Full name of the paint: 2441 Satin Brown Boots

UNA Forces

Single Figure

Base Comparison

Base Comparison without figures
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
I would like to link this website for the purpose of adding to the main page. Order these and do the same thing. Then you have a base that is similar to these new small bases if you want any of those.

Last edited by Lamaclown; October 24th, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Rebasing: A Guide for Bases and Stickers

Awesome resource! Thanks for posting, Lama, and for doing the work, mac. This is an excellent help!
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Fraking Awesome:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lamaclown again."

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:56 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

I figured this is as good a place as any to ask a question I have had. Yodajunkie sells both small and large peanut bases. I was wondering, which size more closely compares to an official Heroscape peanut base?
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
I figured this is as good a place as any to ask a question I have had. Yodajunkie sells both small and large peanut bases. I was wondering, which size more closely compares to an official Heroscape peanut base?
There are two official HS peanut base sizes. A simple comparison is Grimnak to Tornak. Most (all?) of the dragons and Jotun are on large doubles, while most (all?) of the cavalry and dog-like figures (Marrdens, 'stalkers, Dund, etc) are on small doubles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Yodajunkie used the official large and small peanut bases to make his molds. His peanut bases are the same size as the 2 official sizes. It would be up to you to decide if you need the large or small for your customs. What's nice is that it is only $2 total shipping for 1 to 9 lots (mix and match) and free shipping for 10 or more lots.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Yodajunkie used the official large and small peanut bases to make his molds. His peanut bases are the same size as the 2 official sizes. It would be up to you to decide if you need the large or small for your customs. What's nice is that it is only $2 total shipping for 1 to 9 lots (mix and match) and free shipping for 10 or more lots.
In case others don't realize it, there are 2 types of peanut bases for official figs. One base has a more narrow center than the other (is the narrow one the one you are calling the small one, mac?)
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:17 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Quote:
Quote:
In case others don't realize it, there are 2 types of peanut bases for official figs. One base has a more narrow center than the other (is the narrow one the one you are calling the small one, mac?)
Yes. The small/narrow peanuts are also slightly shorter. Here's a comparison pic of Yodajunkie's small and large peanut bases.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:31 AM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you for the helpful information everyone. I admit, I'm a little embarrassed that I've never noticed that the peanut bases come in two different sizes.

Last edited by The CEE; August 16th, 2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I placed an order with Impact for 30 bases/Marvel Stickers almost 4 weeks ago and have yet to receive them. Is this typical or should I be contacting them?
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:22 PM

NilfheimPwns is surprisingly tart

I didn't know that anyone made peanut bases, is there a way to get just two?

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac2200 View Post
I placed an order with Impact for 30 bases/Marvel Stickers almost 4 weeks ago and have yet to receive them. Is this typical or should I be contacting them?
I believe their website says it may take up to 4 weeks, my experience has been that I receive my orders in about a week. I'd suggest dropping them a friendly e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilfheimPwns
I didn't know that anyone made peanut bases, is there a way to get just two?
If you'll PM me and let me know what color and what size peanut bases you need, I'll see if I have some extras. Maybe we can work something out.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs