Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old June 15th, 2017, 05:32 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker
Re: 450 point army

I know this is thread is just a little old but was hoping for some feedback.

Otinashi. 10
Kyntela 30
Warriors of Ashra x2 130
Eimiroon 210
Chardris 300
Ulginesh 450

Im new to the competitive scene so I don't really know strength wise how it will work but in my home games it's a lot of fun.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Not bad. Though with so few wizards as soon as the first one goes down Chardris just keeps getting weaker. For 450pts it's a decent elf pod, but you'd want Isamu as the 10pt filler.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:33 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

Unfortunately I don't have isamu... yet. But with 8 of the figures on my team with tricky personalities it gives otinashi a lot of options for her extra movement so it's not too bad.

Do you think it would be better to drop otinashi and swap chardris with jorthdawn for the extra range? I was thinking because ulginesh has a range of 6 trading one range for one extra attack would be worth it.
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:02 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The main problem is you have only one attacking elf wizard if you include Emirroon. I might drop him and and kyntella to get jorrhdawn then you can get two attacks from each Ulginesh activation instead of just one. Unfortunately you lose some oomph on your attack as you only have 3 wizards, but two attacks are better than one.

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:11 PM

I like having emirroon because I can use his special with ulginesh and bring in warriors of ashra. That way they don't have to run right out in the open they get brought in without having to deal with range as much. Then I have three melee attacks and my screen arrives healthier. Same with kyntella, I don't have to waste a marker on her just teleport her in and I've got the buff.

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; June 15th, 2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:29 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvildeyedjoker View Post
I know this is thread is just a little old but was hoping for some feedback.

Otinashi. 10
Kyntela 30
Warriors of Ashra x2 130
Eimiroon 210
Chardris 300
Ulginesh 450

Im new to the competitive scene so I don't really know strength wise how it will work but in my home games it's a lot of fun.
450 point elf wizards. You aren't making this easy! Well I don't know your figure limitation, but you must have Arkmer in an elf wizard army and even more so with the limited points you're working with.

Ulginesh,Gwyn,Armker as must haves:

That gives you 220, with 230 left.

Ulginesh
Kyntela Gwyn
Armker
Emirroon
Johrdawn
Warriors of Ashra x1

An unconventional build, but something to consider playing at such low point totals would be Emirroon, Warriors of Ashra x1, Johrdawn. Or Chardris/Oto instead of Johrdawn depending on what you think you will see, but in general I would recommend Johrdawn over Chardris in a competitive scene where you're more likely to see a high quantity of squads. The Warriors of Ashra are going to play more of a screen summoned by Emirroon than an offensive force, but that's probably ok.

You might consider playing Chardris and Johrdawn both instead of Em, but you're wasting a decent amount of points... however this isn't too bad either:

Ulginesh
Kyntela Gwyn
Armker
Chardris
Johrdawn
deathreavers x1

Use 1-2 order markers on the deathreavers to set your light screen, and then Ulginesh everyone into place. It hits a lot harder than your first army but doesn't have the movement flexibility of the Emirroon one. It also requires a precise staging area planned out so you know where to place your roborats and where you are going to wind up placeing your elves for maximum coverage.

Really elf wizards are difficult to play at 450 points, but one of those two is probably how I would do it.
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:37 PM

The difficulty of the army is kind of why I want to try it. It fits a certain gencon event that I think having think having the army and practicing it will give me an advantage that my opponent won't have.

Or it may fail miserably...
Old June 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Tonight the wife and I will begin practice for the main event. I was hoping to see some armies posted here but this thread has been dead for a long time.

Therefore I'm posting some of own concoctions and hopefully that will spur others to action.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

Grimnak
Nerak
Heavy Gruts ×3
Zettian Guards

4th Mass ×4
Sam Brown
Dund

Major Q10
Venoc Warlord
Armocs ×2
Marro Warriors

Migol
Mogrimm
Axegrinders ×3
Isamu

Minions ×3
Kaemon Awa

Theracus
Laglor
Microcorp ×3

Warforged ×4
Airborne Elite
Marcu

Critiques are also welcome. These are pretty rough drafts but it's something to start with. After testing they could become more refined.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:56 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
4th Mass ×4
Sam Brown
Dund
I don't really know how I feel about this army, which I guess can be a good thing.

Quote:
Migol
Mogrimm
Axegrinders ×3
Isamu
Strong all melee has it's place in the reverse the whip meta. Two strong bonding options cover some of the weakness of all melee.

Quote:
Theracus
Laglor
Microcorp ×3
I know Nick was in the finals last year with a similar build, but I feel that has more to do with his skill rather then the army. Too me this army is too straight forward, and it's also susceptible to bad match ups.

Quote:
Warforged ×4
Airborne Elite
Marcu
I personally don't like the idea of going against Airborne four times. Granted it's somewhat mitigated by the fact you don't have to beat them four times in a row, but the point sill stands.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvildeyedjoker View Post
The difficulty of the army is kind of why I want to try it. It fits a certain gencon event that I think having think having the army and practicing it will give me an advantage that my opponent won't have.

Or it may fail miserably...
I can't imagine what event that might be...

Having a similar problem. It's my first Gencon, but with alternating RtW on day 1, it seems that the meta will push everyone to the B- middle ground with their army, and encourage fiddly builds that require experience to excel at. So, by all means, try an Elf build. I'd hate to play it!

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Cyprien 150
Sonya 195
3xVenoc Vipers 315
4xBlack Wyrmling 435

Cyprien 150
Sonya 195
3xVenoc Vipers 315
3xOmnicron Repulsors 435

So I want an army where Cyprien can shine, and one where the Venoc Vipers can be used as Vampire food if Zombies or some other bad matchup shows up. The variation is something to deal with Gladiatrons, which will be a big obstacle for Cyprien. I don't know how much I care about this army being rolled over by Q9.

Any better ways to deal with Gladiatrons with 120 points?
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:21 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
Cyprien 150
Sonya 195
3xVenoc Vipers 315
4xBlack Wyrmling 435

Cyprien 150
Sonya 195
3xVenoc Vipers 315
3xOmnicron Repulsors 435

So I want an army where Cyprien can shine, and one where the Venoc Vipers can be used as Vampire food if Zombies or some other bad matchup shows up. The variation is something to deal with Gladiatrons, which will be a big obstacle for Cyprien. I don't know how much I care about this army being rolled over by Q9.

Any better ways to deal with Gladiatrons with 120 points?
4x Red Wyrmling would be good, with bonding you'll get two 5 range 3 attacks on -2 defence common squadies.

You should always worry about Q9 when building an army. If I were you I'd replace the venocs with someone like Krug who can deal with him. Let your opponents figures be Cyprien's lunch. This build is worth a playtest:

Cyprien 150
Sonya 45
4x Red Wyrmling 120
Krug 120
Isamu 10

445 pts 9 hexes total

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion