Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 7th, 2024, 10:13 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Help With Wurdz

Looking to create some customs for my own personal use! I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, but does revealing an "X" order marker on a common hero card create any issues? Here's what the ability currently reads as:

"After moving and before attacking, you may reveal the 'X' order marker on this card to add 5 to the attack value of this card. After attacking with this [Unit], subtract 6 from this card’s attack value for the duration of the round."

My goal with this ability is to give this unit one giant attack once per round, and is charging up to use it until next round. I suppose I could solve this by making it a once-per-round special attack, but unsure of the best way to implement this. Any and all advice is appreciated!
Old February 7th, 2024, 11:00 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So an OMX power on a common squad isn't an issue per se. See the Drow Assassin currently going through the SoV.

This particular power; however, is a bit weird because the unit is common. There is no way to differentiate between them, so ALL of them would take the -6 penalty to the attack until the end of the round. (Or you need to make them uncommon.)

Quote:
[POWER NAME] (if common)
After moving and before attacking, you may reveal the 'X' Order Marker on this card to add 5 to the attack value of this card. After attacking with this [NAME], all [NAME]s you control subtract 6 from this card’s attack value for the duration of the round.

[POWER NAME] (if unique/uncommon)
After moving and before attacking, you may reveal the 'X' Order Marker on this card to add 5 to the attack value of this card. After attacking with [NAME], subtract 6 from this card’s attack value for the duration of the round.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old April 4th, 2024, 11:06 AM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hello,
I would like some help refining two very different abilities. I am almost positive there is some precedence for both but I am unable to find similar examples. The first is a special attack:

GRAVITON BURST SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. You must move all small or medium figures within 2 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure 1 space closer or 1 space further from the chosen figure. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.

The first issue is that I would like for the player to choose for either all figures to be moved closer or all figures to be moved further away, but that’s obviously not clear in the current wording. And the second issue is the problem of what “closer” and “further” mean in this context. I imagine the “meaning” is clear but it is not in Scape language and so would have a lot of holes during gameplay. I would appreciate any help rewording this ability or being pointed to similar examples.

The second power is simpler.
At the beginning of each round after rolling for initiative, your opponent must reveal all order markers. At the end of every round, [THIS FIGURE] takes 1 wound.

“Reveal” feels like the wrong word. Basically I want the opponent’s OMs to be known or visible to the player, but not revealed in the sense that the turn is over. Also, for multiplayer games that power gets a little messy, so maybe there is a better way to word that.

Appreciate any help! Hope these are a somewhat interesting puzzle.
Old April 4th, 2024, 11:50 AM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

Interesting powers! Really curious where you're headed with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy266 View Post
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. You must move all small or medium figures within 2 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure 1 space closer or 1 space further from the chosen figure. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
One issue that becomes immediately apparent with this is that there will be instances in which this is impossible. There are 12 spaces that are 2 spaces away from a figures and 6 spaces adjacent to that figure. Additionally, there are instances in which obstacles will be in the way. What's nice though is that moving in is always moving adjacent (ignoring some height issues). That may be able to be worded something like: "move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space adjacent to the figure, if possible." And then moving out could be "move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space that is 3 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible, and then move all figures within 1 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure onto a space that is 2 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible." And then add in an upward movement restriction and it becomes:

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Either move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space adjacent to the figure, if possible, or move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space that is 3 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible, and then move all figures within 1 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure onto a space that is 2 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible. This space may be up to X levels higher. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
Quite wordy, but I think it does what you want? It seems important to separate the outward movement into two sections, but I'm not entirely sure about it.

As for this one:

Quote:
At the beginning of each round after rolling for initiative, your opponent must reveal all order markers. At the end of every round, [THIS FIGURE] takes 1 wound.
You're definitely right that "reveal" isn't the correct word. And I'm not sure there is precedence for this, but I would think something like this ought to do:

Quote:
At the beginning of each round after rolling for initiative, you may look at all of your opponent's Order Markers. At the end of every round, [THIS FIGURE] takes 1 wound.
Requires some memory, but leaves the game state how it should be at the beginning of each round.
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:06 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWhale View Post

One issue that becomes immediately apparent with this is that there will be instances in which this is impossible. There are 12 spaces that are 2 spaces away from a figures and 6 spaces adjacent to that figure. Additionally, there are instances in which obstacles will be in the way. What's nice though is that moving in is always moving adjacent (ignoring some height issues). That may be able to be worded something like: "move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space adjacent to the figure, if possible." And then moving out could be "move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space that is 3 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible, and then move all figures within 1 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure onto a space that is 2 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible." And then add in an upward movement restriction and it becomes:

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Either move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space adjacent to the figure, if possible, or move all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space that is 3 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible, and then move all figures within 1 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure onto a space that is 2 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible. This space may be up to X levels higher. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
Quite wordy, but I think it does what you want? It seems important to separate the outward movement into two sections, but I'm not entirely sure about it.
Thanks for the help! The nice thing is this unit, name tbd, only has one other fairly short power, so the special can be a little "wordy."

Is this a power that's worth having bullet points like Cyprien or Kato? Maybe to separate more clearly that you can either move everyone in or everyone out, but not a mix? I like your wording a lot though, I think it helps deal with terrain issues and positions where "closer" starts to lose meaning. This is minutiae, but is using "place" instead of "move" better, a la Augamo's Ram or Jotun's Throw? Then the power would read something like this:

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. You must do one of the following:
  • Place all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto an empty space adjacent to the figure, if possible.
or
  • Place all figures that are 2 clear sight spaces away from the chosen figure onto a space that is 3 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible, and then place all figures within 1 clear sight spaces of the chosen figure onto a space that is 2 spaces away from the chosen figure, if possible. This space may be up to 3 levels higher.
All affected figures must be placed within 1 space of their current location. You may choose the order to place figures. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
I added the "within 1 space line" because I realized while writing the bullet points that you could toss figures all over, which is not the intent. This seems really solid now, and any more "rules caveats" like the location, order, and falling damage can be added at the end to keep it clean, although it seems like most everything would be covered now. What do you think?

Edit to add: This should probably have a size restriction, no?

Quote:
You're definitely right that "reveal" isn't the correct word. And I'm not sure there is precedence for this, but I would think something like this ought to do:

Quote:
At the beginning of each round after rolling for initiative, you may look at all of your opponent's Order Markers. At the end of every round, [THIS FIGURE] takes 1 wound.
Requires some memory, but leaves the game state how it should be at the beginning of each round.
I like this, it's very straightforward. If you have 5 opponents it might be a lot to keep track of, but it keeps anyone else from benefitting from the ability. In anything other than a large multiplayer game I don't see any issues with the power and it's succinct. I like it. Appreciate the help!
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:19 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

EDIT: You guys are fast. There were two posts since I started writing this.

EDIT 2: SkyWhale, good call on the "This space may be up to X levels higher." I added that in.

Quote:
Hello,
I would like some help refining two very different abilities. I am almost positive there is some precedence for both but I am unable to find similar examples. The first is a special attack:

Range 6, Attack 3.

The first issue is that I would like for the player to choose for either all figures to be moved closer or all figures to be moved further away, but that’s obviously not clear in the current wording. And the second issue is the problem of what “closer” and “further” mean in this context. I imagine the “meaning” is clear but it is not in Scape language and so would have a lot of holes during gameplay. I would appreciate any help rewording this ability or being pointed to similar examples.
I think the precedent you're thinking of is Altais of the Deep that was in C3V public playtesting a while ago.

I think it will be much easier for this power to use a bulleted list, like Kato.

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Before rolling attack dice, choose one of the following:
  • You may place any or all small or medium figures within two clear sight spaces of the chosen figure on an empty land space adjacent to the targeted figure.
  • You may move any or all small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each. This space may be up to 3 levels higher and must end not-adjacent to the chosen figure.
Figures moved by Graviton Burst Special Attack never take any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
I added "land space" which has de-facto become the C3V's way to do forced movement in a way that isn't abusable by molten lava. I also slightly changed the push range. I think this is better thematically and is a more controlled power. I also replaced "must" with "may" it gets rid of all the "if possible" you would need otherwise. So its a slightly different power in the end.

Quote:
The second power is simpler.

“Reveal” feels like the wrong word. Basically I want the opponent’s OMs to be known or visible to the player, but not revealed in the sense that the turn is over. Also, for multiplayer games that power gets a little messy, so maybe there is a better way to word that.

Appreciate any help! Hope these are a somewhat interesting puzzle.
You're correct, "reveal" is wrong. I think there is some C3G instances of this kind of power. I'd use the term "look at" instead of "reveal" although it does require some memory to effectively use.

Quote:
[POWER NAME]
Before rolling for initiative each round, choose an opponent. You may look at that chosen opponent's Order Markers. At the end of each round [NAME] receives 1 wound.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
EDIT: you guys are fast. There were two posts since I started writing this.

I think the precedent you're thinking of is Altais of the Deep that was in C3V public playtesting a while ago.

I think it will be much easier for this power to use a bulleted list, like Kato.

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. Before rolling attack dice, choose one of the following:
  • You may place any or all small or medium figures within two clear sight spaces of the chosen figure on an empty land space adjacent to the targeted figure.
  • You may move any or all small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each. This move must end not-adjacent to the chosen figure.
Figures moved by Graviton Burst Special Attack never take any leaving engagement attacks. A non-flying figure moved lower by Graviton Burst Special Attack can receive any falling damage that may apply.
I added "land space" which has de-facto become the C3V's way to do forced movement in a way that isn't abusable by molten lava. I also slightly changed the push range. I think this is better thematically and is a more controlled power. I also replaced "must" with "may" it gets rid of all the "if possible" you would need otherwise. So its a slightly different power in the end.
This is very concise. And land space is a very good edit. I don't hate the push range either. In terms of keeping science (fiction) accuracy, I would like it to affect friendly figures as well which is why I included the "must" in there. Is there a better way to get around that without using the word "must" and keeping all the "if possible"? Ignoring elegance for a moment, in terms of pure word count replacing "You may place any or all" with "Place all" and adding "if possible" at the end doesn't add any bulk to the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post

You're correct, "reveal" is wrong. I think there is some C3G instances of this kind of power. I'd use the term "look at" instead of "reveal" although it does require some memory to effectively use.

Quote:
[POWER NAME]
Before rolling for initiative each round, choose an opponent. You may look at that chosen opponent's Order Markers. At the end of each round [NAME] receives 1 wound.
I like this as well, I think limiting it to one opponent helps with any multiplayer memory issues. Do you think after or before rolling for initiative matters too much? Before rolling for initiative lets the Admiral pull a fast one on the unit, which is pretty amusing.
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:38 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really great stuff, everyone! I get so impressed and inspired reading this thread.
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
This is very concise. And land space is a very good edit. I don't hate the push range either. In terms of keeping science (fiction) accuracy, I would like it to affect friendly figures as well which is why I included the "must" in there. Is there a better way to get around that without using the word "must" and keeping all the "if possible"? Ignoring elegance for a moment, in terms of pure word count replacing "You may place any or all" with "Place all" and adding "if possible" at the end doesn't add any bulk to the power.
Hmmm, OK. How's this.

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
  • You must place all small or medium figures within two clear sight spaces of the chosen figure on an empty land space adjacent to the targeted figure, if possible.
  • You must move all small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each, if possible. This space may be up to 3 levels higher and must end not-adjacent to the chosen figure.
I think that's elegant enough.

Quote:
I like this as well, I think limiting it to one opponent helps with any multiplayer memory issues. Do you think after or before rolling for initiative matters too much? Before rolling for initiative lets the Admiral pull a fast one on the unit, which is pretty amusing.
Typically powers like this would be before rolling Init. But do what you want to get the effect you want.

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
Old April 4th, 2024, 02:13 PM

SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby! SkyWhale rolls all skulls baby!

Really like how Graviton Burst is turning out! I think I would just change the second bullet point to this:

Quote:
You must move all small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each, if possible. This space may be up to 3 levels higher and must end on a space that isn't adjacent to the chosen figure.
I believe that solves some weird caveats for if the figure you're targeting is Small 3 or shorter.
Old April 4th, 2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Really like how Graviton Burst is turning out! I think I would just change the second bullet point to this:

Quote:
You must move all small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each, if possible. This space may be up to 3 levels higher and must end on a space that isn't adjacent to the chosen figure.
I believe that solves some weird caveats for if the figure you're targeting is Small 3 or shorter.
Yep, this is better.

Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
Old April 4th, 2024, 02:36 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The problem is what are you supposed to do if it's not possible?

Let's try this:

Quote:
Range 6, Attack 3.
  • You must place all as many small or medium figures within two clear sight spaces of the chosen figure on an empty land space adjacent to the targeted figure, if as possible.
  • You must move all as many small or medium figures adjacent to the chosen figure one space each, if as possible. This space may be up to 3 levels higher and must end not- not be adjacent to the chosen figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards