Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music
Music Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM

starsandstripes Woo who?
iTunes free weekly downloads worth it?

I'm finding the weekly downloads to be pretty stupid. It's not worth even downloading any of the songs. At the same time I've gotten songs that ended up being really popular through the free weekly downloads. Is it worth it or not?

why does everyone hate me?
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!
Re: iTunes free weekly downloads worth it?

No, it's not worth it, because you do not own the music you are downloading. You own rights to listen to it. Those rights at any time can be taken away from Apple, and if you quit iTunes, then you lose all your music, and then if you plug your iPod into any other computer, all your music comes off of it. Also when you install iTunes on anything but a Mac, you ultimately cut your speed in half of your computer. With that, when you have iTunes, it comes with a terms and ageements which you must sign, and when you sign it they have the right to do anything they want to with your computer. Nice huh? Plus, the only reason the songs are getting popular is because so many people these days run iTunes and get the free downloads.

Anyway, my rant is over, but in a nutshell I say no.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:20 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

tuba likes Linux, which to me seems like no one has heard of it. I personally like Mac because of all the music programs that you can use - Windows (and mabey Linux, I don't know) aren't as musically oriented as Mac.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:26 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubafication View Post
No, it's not worth it, because you do not own the music you are downloading.
If you buy a CD you still don't own the music.
Quote:
You own rights to listen to it.
Yes, same with a CD.
Quote:
Those rights at any time can be taken away from Apple,
but not you, because you paid money.
Quote:
and if you quit iTunes, then you lose all your music,
It is tied to your account.
Quote:
and then if you plug your iPod into any other computer, all your music comes off of it.
Not true, all the music is still on your iPod. It just not recognizes a new account, so you cannot use the music you put on it. To fix this plug it back into your computer with your account.
Quote:
Also when you install iTunes on anything but a Mac, you ultimately cut your speed in half of your computer.
Not true.
Quote:
With that, when you have iTunes, it comes with a terms and ageements which you must sign, and when you sign it they have the right to do anything they want to with your computer. Nice huh?
I'm sure it says in there some where that they can demand you to send your computer to them permanently.
Quote:
Plus, the only reason the songs are getting popular is because so many people these days run iTunes and get the free downloads.
The free downloads are of really odd songs, once in awhile one is made popular because it was free, but that is not normal. Songs become popular because it is so easy to hear one on the radio or what-have-you then download it to show off to your friends who then also download it.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Quote:
No, it's not worth it, because you do not own the music you are downloading.
If you buy a CD you still don't own the music.
Quote:
You own rights to listen to it.
Yes, same with a CD.
Quote:
Those rights at any time can be taken away from Apple,
but not you, because you paid money.
Quote:
and if you quit iTunes, then you lose all your music,
It is tied to your account.
Quote:
and then if you plug your iPod into any other computer, all your music comes off of it.
Not true, all the music is still on your iPod. It just not recognizes a new account, so you cannot use the music you put on it. To fix this plug it back into your computer with your account.
Quote:
Also when you install iTunes on anything but a Mac, you ultimately cut your speed in half of your computer.
Not true.
Quote:
With that, when you have iTunes, it comes with a terms and ageements which you must sign, and when you sign it they have the right to do anything they want to with your computer. Nice huh?
I'm sure it says in there some where that they can demand you to send your computer to them permanently.
Quote:
Plus, the only reason the songs are getting popular is because so many people these days run iTunes and get the free downloads.
The free downloads are of really odd songs, once in awhile one is made popular because it was free, but that is not normal. Songs become popular because it is so easy to hear one on the radio or what-have-you then download it to show off to your friends who then also download it.
+rep for you, GreenLanturn!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:11 AM

Devo Hulk is surprisingly tart

Quote:
if you quit iTunes, then you lose all your music
I doubt that if I quit iTunes, Apple will come to my house and take all those CDs they let me burn in iTunes.

Back on topic, I don't check the free weekly download every week but last December I did manage to get one of Stephen Colbert's songs from his Christmas special so I can't say that they're always bad.

I've been checking out Amazon.com recently because they have actual MP3s intead of m4a's or whatever format Apple uses. Sometimes they have some good albums in the five dollar section too.
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Let me put tuba's anti iTunes rant in a little more reasonable language. iTunes has, or had, plenty of songs with DRM. DRM limits what you can do with the song. That alone is something that I would not be crazy about, even if free. The terms and conditions are probably crap. Most are, so nothing new there. I don't think that iTunes is necessarily slower on a non-Mac, but I think that it is a crap program, and virtually requiring its use to keep an iPod working to full potential is a crap move on apple's part.
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:46 AM

ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby! ProtoFury rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo Hulk View Post
Back on topic, I don't check the free weekly download every week but last December I did manage to get one of Stephen Colbert's songs from his Christmas special so I can't say that they're always bad.
I got the same exact thing! I rarely check it but I did that week for whatever reason. I love that song--I have it on one of my faorite playlists.

However, most of the downloads I've seen past that don't look very good at all.

Proto's Custom Maps and Units!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music