Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old July 18th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers (MARS) Event Thread

Johngee, I can teach people easy. Very quick game to pick up. Feels very "Heroscape" with the dice rolling.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Hi @peteparkerh
Welcome back. That sounds like a great learning experience. I've only played M'44 once and that was several years ago. But I did recently acquire a copy at a Barnes & Noble clearance sale, so I have access to the rules and figures, etc. How familiar are you with the game to be teaching newbies? Too bad @chas can't make it out to Reading next weekend or at least give you some pointers. I know he participated in a huge multiplayer D-Day scenario in Manhattan on June 6th.
I was part of that, as was John Jurena (who was at IslandScape yesterday).

Old July 19th, 2015, 09:46 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@Taeblewalker ~
Well then ... what did you think about the "Overlord" format? And are there any tips or suggestions that you can offer? @chas told me yesterday at the Islandscape tournament that even though "Overlord" was the name of the June 6th, 1944 D-Day operation to amphibiously invade Normandy France (which I related to), Days of Wonder uses the term in connection with "Memoir'44" any time you put at least two game board maps together for a 'LARGER' scenario.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
@Taeblewalker ~
Well then ... what did you think about the "Overlord" format? And are there any tips or suggestions that you can offer? @chas told me yesterday at the Islandscape tournament that even though "Overlord" was the name of the June 6th, 1944 D-Day operation to amphibiously invade Normandy France (which I related to), Days of Wonder uses the term in connection with "Memoir'44" any time you put at least two game board maps together for a 'LARGER' scenario.
Interestingly, we didn't use the Overlord rules for D-Day Landings. Each pair of players used one map and standard cards. However, I played an Overlord scenario with John Jurena on a different day. It was an island scenario where the Americans were attacking the Japanese. I like the format and card system for it.

As for tips, it's hard to say because gameplay really depends on the scenario and the cards you get. I would say it's a good idea to concentrate your fire on a single target where possible. That gives you the best chance to win medals.

Last edited by Taeblewalker; August 26th, 2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 05:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

D-Day Landings is actually an extended version of the Breakthrough format, which uses a deeper board (or boards). It is a newer version format than Overlord, which itself came out with the original game, but required two sets.

The best general advice for Overlord (which I sometimes solitaire or only play with two players) is:

1. to have the most experienced player be the Commander In Chief, who gives out the cards!

2. And don't forget the possibility of the Intiative Roll, when a Field General who doesn't get any cards on a turn can roll to activate a unit by himself.

3. There is a separate Overlord expansion. If you get this it has all the rules together, and a separate set of cards which makes it a lot easier to play, as each card has icons at the top indicating who can receive it!
Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:02 AM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
D-Day Landings is actually an extended version of the Breakthrough format, which uses a deeper board (or boards). It is a newer version format than Overlord, which itself came out with the original game, but required two sets.

The best general advice for Overlord (which I sometimes solitaire or only play with two players) is:

1. to have the most experienced player be the Commander In Chief, who gives out the cards!

2. And don't forget the possibility of the Intiative Roll, when a Field General who doesn't get any cards on a turn can roll to activate a unit by himself.

3. There is a separate Overlord expansion. If you get this it has all the rules together, and a separate set of cards which makes it a lot easier to play, as each card has icons at the top indicating who can receive it!
@chas : thanks for the advice. I have two boards and the overlord expansion. Currently I have four to play. Will that work or do I have to get to 6-8?

Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:05 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Sounds fine. With two per side, you'll just have to decide how to divide up the work. Some try having one player be the CinC and run the center board section, while the other guy runs both flanks. Or you can just let both players make co-op decisions about everything.

You'll also need two sets of minis for each side, as well as the extra board. If you don't have these, you can use the flat troop chits in the Overlord Expansion as substitutes.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM

@chas & @Taeblewalker - thanks for the advice and tips. I picked up 2 sets of M'44 recently at a B&N clearance sale, but don't know when I'll have a chance to crack them open. I also want to spend some time learning and playing the Richard Borg games "BattleCry" and "BattleLore" both of which I own and haven't touched in years. HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT playing each of these games WITHOUT the 'fog of war - random card draw?' I've considered playing these like a traditional War Game with initiative rolls or a simple 'I-Go/You-Go' mechanic in which EVERY unit can be activated. &OBTW: I did find and print the Stat Card for Jonah Hex. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (Book of Index).

@peteparkerh - I had a great time with Chas, Taeblewalker, Grishnakh, Warbanner, Kolakoski, Sherman_Davies, and others at the 9th Annual July IslandScape last Saturday, it's a shame that you and some of the other M.A.R.S. regulars couldn't make it. BUT I completely understand that how much a 3+ hour drive early in the morning and again back home at night really SUX! Who are the other participants in your event? I'm surprised that no one replied here. I am so tempted to spend Fri at WBC's in Lancaster with NJ friends Greg, Mike, and Jon, stay over in Manheim, have breakfast with my son & grandson Sat am in Lebanon and then swing by your place in Reading in the afternoon before heading back to the Jersey shore. But it does seem like too much to cram into one trip, besides my wife would want to come with me to see the baby and she would rather go shopping than gaming, so the whole idea is probably *NOT* going to happen this weekend. Maybe next time. Thanks for the invitation.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; July 22nd, 2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Added: P.S.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:22 PM

JohnGee,

I wouldn't much see the point of making such a radical change in the C&C games; I can always play with my 54mm minis to get that wargame feel if I wish. But if you try it let me know how it plays.

When Heroscape first came out, I played solitaire with ALL of the figures I had up to then on a huge board. I played without order markers, simply letting each card go once, and then marking it with a poker chip. I probably alternated cards between sides, but that was a while ago!
Old July 23rd, 2015, 10:16 AM
Mayor of Scape City

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteparkerh View Post
Haven't said hello in a long time. I'm looking to get together a group to play Memoir 44 Overlord version on Saturday July 25th in the early afternoon. I'm available in the morning to try other things or teach Memoir 44. Let me know if you are interested.

EVENT: Memoir 44 Overlord
WHERE: Reading, PA area
DATE: Saturday July 25th
TIME: 1pm to ? (we can get together earlier to play other things or learn Memoir 44)
EXPERIENCE: No experience necessary. Most people will have never played
COST: Free
PRIZES: None
I've got 6 confirmed. Would love to get two more....

Old August 26th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I know some of you guys could use a little more 'Scape in your lives, so I've arranged to provide it on 11/7 in Savage, Maryland. Help me decide on a format and come play with us.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 2nd, 2015, 11:24 PM

Dear -
@tom ; @Arcus ; @mad_wookiee ; @spidysox ; @peteparkerh ; @fallow ; @grunttactics ; @DragonSlayer2 ; @jbbnbsmith ; @Northgate ; @TheEpicLlama ; @TheEpicAlpaca ; @Big Boa ; @King of Blanks ; @buellsmith ; @Scooter72 ; @owvanguard ; @major/flint; @Azalyth ; @manofwar ; @clancampbell ; @Dad_Scaper ; @chas ; @Taeblewalker ; @Grishnakh ; @Sherman Davies ; @hose ; @PeasantDave ; @Einar's puppy ; @NightSwipe ; etc.

I just got confirmation that the "Exit 105 Gamers" Guild on Board-Game-Geek that I am a founding member of is definitely holding an ALL DAY Gaming Event on Saturday October 3rd, 2015. About a dozen of them meet every Tuesday evening (6 - 10 pm) in the classroom of a local church not far from where I used to live near Exit #105 (Eatontown) of the Garden State Parkway. And once a quarter, they intend to hold an all day event that's open to the entire community.

Since their location is now almost 100 miles from my retirement home, I only try to make it on a Tuesday about once a month with secondary reasons for making the trip. Anyway, I have mentioned HeroScape so many times when I'm there playing other games, that they encouraged me to bring my HeroScape stuff and set up sort of an on-going demo. My feelings are that IF I can get some other HeroScapeRs to show up, THEN it can become an impromptu mini tournament.

Let me know if any of you reading this are available and can make a trip to Monmouth County that day (10/03/15). I will be bringing four maps, ten "armies" of figures, and all the necessary dice, cards, and tokens for eight players. All you need to do is show up ...or... you could bring your own 500 point army and volunteer to provide an additional map if necessary.

I am also planning to bring the new "Magic: The Gathering - Arena of the Planeswalker" game for anyone that wants to see the PW's in action on a standard HeroScape Maps with/or without additional "summoned" squads.

WHO - everyone is welcome to participate ( Johngee + ? ).
WHAT - an impromptu HS tourney during The FALL Day of Gaming.
WHEN - from 1:00 pm until aprx. 10:00 pm, Saturday October 3rd, 2015.
WHERE - this event is being held at Park Church, #31 Park Road, Tinton Falls, NJ ( just 1/2 mile from GSP Exit #105, 1/10th mile behind the Applebee's on Hope Road).
FORMAT - A simple "Kill 'em all A.S.A.P." I'm planning to run 45 minute sessions and allow partial card scoring, thus awarding points for every figure eliminated or wound inflicted upon your opponent's army. Each player's Army can have no more than 500 points worth of classic HS figures and official C3V figures and occupy no more than 24 hexes in the Start Zone. NO Marvel, Dark Horse, or DC super-hero characters are permitted... see below for the changes to the format.
COST - FREE! However, at the previous event the admin's asked participants to make a small monetary donation to a worthy cause (A.R.C.) and chip in some cash toward the pizza that was ordered. And if you expect to see a prize table, you'll have to bring something for that as well.
WHY - Because you know you LOVE playing 'Scape, but haven't in a while, and need a 'fix' in October to satisfy your inner passion.

I hope to see you there or at least hear from you soon. Have A Nic e Day; - )
~johnG

P.S. I have decided to change the format on Sept. 13, 2015 as follows . . .
NEW FORMAT for the October 3rd Event in Tinton Falls, NJ
Each participant should bring FIVE (5x) 400 Point Armies to be able to play five games and NOT use the same army twice. Each player will use a different 400 point Army for each game that they play. This is just in case anyone needs to play the same opponent more than once to complete five games. Armies may consist of any Classic Hasbro HS units, WotC D&D-'scape units, and published C3V units, with a maximum of ONLY TWO (2x) of the same Common or Uncommon units in any Army. NO Marvel 'Scape or C3G Superheroes will be permitted. However, proxy figures for standard HS Stat Cards will be allowed (and encouraged in order to demonstrate the dynamic potential of this game system to the newbies). I will be bringing five BoV maps and providing ten 400 pt. Armies, so you can use my armies, if you choose or bring your own 2,000 pts. worth of characters. Opponents will be as randomly selected as possible with no Swiss-Style Pairing. There will be partial card scoring with each player receiving points for their opponent's figures that they wound and/or eliminate. The points for each game will be accumulated into a final total for the five best games to determine the Tournament Winner. I will have a trophy for the highest scoring player and some prize support (maybe cookies) for the participants to select from with the highest scoring person ("the winner") getting first pick of what's been donated, 2nd place gets 2nd pick, etc.

Last edited by Johngee; September 14th, 2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Added contact list & changed Format

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events