Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 6th, 2018, 07:00 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

[quote=Hahma;2178313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Yeah, it seems balanced for the most part. However, like I said before, sometimes player count can affect a certain faction's difficulty level, as well as the player board they get dealt. But that's fine to me, as it makes the factions not feel samey to themselves every game, sometimes you have more or less of a challenge. Also, other player play styles will affect things too.

I have found Saxony the most difficult of the starting 5 factions. But then I read on BGG that one thing they may thrive at is ending the game early. So if you can get yourself high enough on the popularity track and control a decent amount of territories, then being able to end it before others get their engine really going could help them. Ways they can end early is getting early star for combat and later on after getting 3 more stars from other things, plan to have a 2 combat turn where you are in good shape to win both. Bam! Game over and leave others saying, "but I just needed a few more turns!"

The Wind Gambit is a neat expansion as well, as the airshipscan add some new things to the game, as well as there being a lot of different ending condition tiles you can use to randomly draw at the start of the game to change up the ending condition when you want to mix things up once in a while. Will add a lot of replayability. Though, you need to get it played initially first
Yeah, only having two games under my belt, I don't have a feel for any of the factions. In fact, when we played, we didn't even randomize the faction mats. We typically sit in the same spots at the table and our faction choices were decided strictly by which ones were in easy reach . We did randomize the player mats though.

I absolutely plan on getting Wind Gambit too. It's just that I want to get the other expansion first. I would love to eventually get everything for this game, even those sweet metal coins and fancy resource tokens.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Yeah, only having two games under my belt, I don't have a feel for any of the factions. In fact, when we played, we didn't even randomize the faction mats. We typically sit in the same spots at the table and our faction choices were decided strictly by which ones were in easy reach . We did randomize the player mats though.

I absolutely plan on getting Wind Gambit too. It's just that I want to get the other expansion first. I would love to eventually get everything for this game, even those sweet metal coins and fancy resource tokens.
Cool, you did get it played. Before you said your wife didn’t want to try it. How did she like it?

The metal coins, resin resources and wooden encounter tokens are nice, as is the extension board. When I kickstarted it, I got the resin resources, metal coins and extention board. Bit have since added the additional metal coins that have come out, as well as the wooden tokens. It certainly adds to the visual, and there is nothing like having metal coins in games, I love them.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:30 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

[quote=Hahma;2178315]
Quote:

Cool, you did get it played. Before you said your wife didn’t want to try it. How did she like it?
Yeah, a couple of pages back, in my response to @Spidey'tilIDie , I explained how I got her to play

Quote:

Yeah, Gloomhaven looks like an incredible game. I would love to have that one but I know it wouldn't go over in my household. I am glad that you and others are enjoying it so much.

I did get in a game of 2 more games of Blood Rage this weekend. I really like this game but I am terrible at it. I am like 0-6 or so.

And then I sat down for another solo practice/learning-game of Scythe. Fortunately my wife was very bored and very reluctantly agreed to sit and play for a bit. I told her she could quit anytime she wanted and I would continue on solo. Previously she would only groan when I would mention Scythe, saying that it looks too complicated, and that she would hate it. Four hours later she placed her 6th star, we scored the game and she had soundly beat the crap out of me. (Yes, I said 4 hours) She wouldn't admit that she liked it but I knew that she did when she agreed to play another game after dinner. I managed to win that one and it took much less time to play.

She still says the game is only ok but I know that she likes it better than she is letting on. I am super happy about that because I really love the game.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; February 6th, 2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

@keglo

4 hours!

Well it was a learning game, and I suppose with only 2 players there may be more time to go for all the encounters and such. That aspect gets tighter with more players and the cold war aspect has more of an effect.

I'm really glad you like it a lot, and that your wife likes it, even without admitting how much

I wish my daughters would want to play it again, as it would be easier to get more plays in. I should just show up to game night with it more often and plop it down and see who comes a running But I'll have to try to keep it ti 4 or less and play on the small side of the board, otherwise I have to bring in my big folding table and table top from home, and that is kind of a pain.

Old February 6th, 2018, 11:01 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I finally got a chance to play Star Wars: Rebellion with the Rogue One themed expansion. It was a pretty fun 3 player game with me being the Rebellion and the other two the Empire in which I won the day. Used all the new rules and cards and they seemed pretty sweet. The new green dice introduced only have 2 hit chances out of the 6 sides (33% chance) but they are both hit anywhere so they give you more options on how to use them. I think my opponent may have made a mistake once though where he opted to destroy my Rebel Vanguard units (and their green die) when the odds of getting a hit on my next turn was actually better with the regular troops (who rolled black dice) as they were just fighting other regular troops. Had they been attacking an vehicle the right move would have been to take out the Vanguard's first.

While I may have won the day, it certainly felt like the Empire was a massive unstoppable force. There is a new rule that limits your heroes to 8, but then the Empire had a card that let them increase that to 9 and they also were able to recruit new heroes as a mission card instead of having to wait. Then they captured and killed one of my heroes so they were running 9 guys to my 7. I pretty much just let them do whatever they wanted without trying to oppose them very often as I was too focused on trying to do my own things. They figured out where my base was, the info just came too late as their forces were too far away to reach it before time would run out for them. I did a good job of scoring points and shortening the game, I think our long hiatus on the game helped me sneak in some easy points by surprise. If we played the game more often I think the Empire would have done a better job of defending itself from my ability to score easy points.

The game still took us a little over 4 hours to play though, which is why we don't get to it as often as I'd like as we have started to gravitate towards games that run closer to 2 hours so we can play 2-3 games in one day instead of just 1. Still we all had fun and one buddy who stopped by for a few minutes and had never played it before now really wanting to play it himself next time he gets out.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:20 AM

@Hahma

Yeah the board extension is one of the items I might leave off of my shopping list. As the regular board fits just about perfectly on my table. I love the idea of using the larger side of the board but I can't see myself using it often enough to justify the purchase.

Old February 7th, 2018, 09:37 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

THIS IS IT:

My neighbor's copy of Rising Sun is out for delivery today, and some pals will be here at noon to start Wednesday Game Day. When he gets home from work this evening, he'll grab that big carton and bring it over to unbox and play for the last game of the day! And I have another RS session Friday night, with a new pal who was the first to get it in NYC!

Last edited by chas; February 7th, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
THIS IS IT:

My neighbor's copy of Rising Sun is out for delivery today, and some pals will be here at noon to start Wednesday Game Day. When he gets home from work this evening, he'll grab that big carton and bring it over to unbox and play for the last game of the day! And I have another RS session Friday night, with a new pal who was the first to get it in NYC!
Have fun and let us know how it goes

Old February 7th, 2018, 01:36 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
@Hahma

Yeah the board extension is one of the items I might leave off of my shopping list. As the regular board fits just about perfectly on my table. I love the idea of using the larger side of the board but I can't see myself using it often enough to justify the purchase.
I'm with you on this @keglo . I played on the larger board this weekend with 4 players and we needed an 8x4 playing surface to accommodate the board and everyone's player boards and pieces. The larger hexes were very nice, but I won't be able to make use of the bigger board on my own table at home and still have room for player items. I also don't anticipate ever going above 5 players. Definitely worth it if you can use it, but it's not a must have for me.

I did just get the metal coins (the standard set for now) and am very pleased. Besides being amazing for use in Scythe, I plan on using them in other games that use cardboard coins, which is quite a few.

I played with the airship expansion this weekend too for the first time, and it must have been the ability combo we drew (movement of 2/only carry resources and airship can trade resources to bring units into combat), but the airships were a complete non-factor. I believe everyone moved their airship one time, but after that they were an afterthought. I'm sure the abilities you draw really change things up each game, and I do like the idea that it will be a different experience each time and also that the ending conditions can change, but I haven't fully absorbed the base game yet and will take my time on adding more to it. Adding the two new factions is fine with me. I've played with both and enjoyed them both, and while different in terms of set-up and the tokens they use, they seem to fit in well with the base game.

Glad you've been enjoying it, and I've also been enjoying the renewed Scythe conversation here. I want to give the solo game a try soon. Read the rules and will need to familiarize myself more with the movement/neighborhoods. I also checked out the ScytheKick app and want to buy the upgrade to help run the Automa, though I may give it a go on my own first so I understand how it's done.
Old February 7th, 2018, 02:14 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Along with having Heroscape currently on the table I ordered this new board game from Kickstarter and it seems very good! It is made from the older show The Legend of Korra (if any of you heard about it). I'm excited not only for this game but it looks like I can learn to paint these figures as they come unpainted and I can also incorporate them into Heroscape for my own customs! Here is the link to the game: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=pro%20bending

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
I'm with you on this @keglo . I played on the larger board this weekend with 4 players and we needed an 8x4 playing surface to accommodate the board and everyone's player boards and pieces. The larger hexes were very nice, but I won't be able to make use of the bigger board on my own table at home and still have room for player items. I also don't anticipate ever going above 5 players. Definitely worth it if you can use it, but it's not a must have for me.

I did just get the metal coins (the standard set for now) and am very pleased. Besides being amazing for use in Scythe, I plan on using them in other games that use cardboard coins, which is quite a few.

I played with the airship expansion this weekend too for the first time, and it must have been the ability combo we drew (movement of 2/only carry resources and airship can trade resources to bring units into combat), but the airships were a complete non-factor. I believe everyone moved their airship one time, but after that they were an afterthought. I'm sure the abilities you draw really change things up each game, and I do like the idea that it will be a different experience each time and also that the ending conditions can change, but I haven't fully absorbed the base game yet and will take my time on adding more to it. Adding the two new factions is fine with me. I've played with both and enjoyed them both, and while different in terms of set-up and the tokens they use, they seem to fit in well with the base game.

Glad you've been enjoying it, and I've also been enjoying the renewed Scythe conversation here. I want to give the solo game a try soon. Read the rules and will need to familiarize myself more with the movement/neighborhoods. I also checked out the ScytheKick app and want to buy the upgrade to help run the Automa, though I may give it a go on my own first so I understand how it's done.
Yeah, I was thinking that the already thinking that the metal coins might also work for Five Tribes but I'm thinking that I might need at least two sets for that to work. I'm not sure I can spend 45 bucks on metal coins.

I do plan on getting The Wind Gambit at some point, but I certainly do not feel rushed to do so. I am just learning the game and the factions so I have plenty to keep me occupied for quite some time.

I too have been reading the rules for playing with Automa and am looking forward to trying it out. It is tough though when you are just learning the regular rules and trying to also comprehend the Automa rules.

Old February 7th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
@Hahma

I had gotten the board extension when I kickstarted it, along with the metal coins and resin resources. I've added the other coins as well for the new factions. The original set of coins had the 5's and 10's that some people had problems telling them apart when grabbing money quickly (I never had an issue), so now they are selling a set of the 5's I believe that are red, so they won't be easily confused. I won't be getting those.

Whenever I've played with the bigger hexes and extension, I've played on my 6x4 table and with up to 5 players with it and had plenty of room. But yeah, it is a table hog, and my table is actually a 6x3, with two 4x3 heavy plywood table tops I put on top and have eyebolts/hooks on either side to latch them together, and then cover it with a flannel sheet to protect the game components. So it's fine when set up in my basement, as it is for a lot of tabletop minis games, but when I have to lug that to the facility where my group meets, it's kind of a pain. So I'll try to just bring the game and play on the regular side of the board on the tables at the indoor soccer facility that we meet at. That would likely help me get it played more, as the older I get, the heavier that table setup gets for me to lug around

The one game I played with the airships was similar to yours, in that they didn't get used much. But in our case, the airship only moved 1 space, and could only carry resources as well. I think the abilities were that if over a village, you could discard an objective card to get a new one, and maybe in battle, you could drop a resource to help you our or something like that. One guy, the guy that won, used it for the exchange of objective cards. I think it will take a little bit to get used to how they are going to get used, and the combinations could make a difference too. I don't expect that they were intended to be a huge factor and change the core game dramatically, but rather add some different options here and there.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games