Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 6th, 2018, 07:03 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I love Sabotage Pulse (and there's already a d20 vs. d20 mechanic for concurrent powers in 'Scape). I agree with the other frog about the theme of Bullet Bending, although mechanically I love it.
Old October 6th, 2018, 07:11 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

What would hit that theme better? Something that implies simply being a sharpshooter or very good at hitting targets equally armed (with guns)?
Old October 6th, 2018, 07:52 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

What if Sabotage Pulse just let you choose to use your roll instead of their roll? That seems simpler and less corner casey.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 6th, 2018, 07:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I'm not a rules expert, but I can't think of any problems with it as written. Your suggestion is simpler, caps, but it makes it much more powerful. It basically requires the opponent to succeed twice, so it square roots the probability (for example, for an NGS mindshackle, you'd need to both roll 20s). As currently written, you can't override a 20 unless you're boosted and get a 21.

I like the current version because it works more often against low d20 rolls, and less often against high d20 rolls. So you nerf Vanish and Shield Push and Chain Grab and Engagement Strike much more than you nerf Mindshackle).
Old October 6th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

@Pumpkin_King I'm not sure exactly how you would word it, but what if the special was something that had a range that worked more like a move. What I mean is, it has a set number of spaces, you count spaces from the Agent to the target while avoiding obstacles, and as long as you can reach the target, you can attack them, even if you don't have clear sight of them? Does this make sense?
Old October 6th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

That totally does, and it would absolutely work, but I kind of wanted her to be a thematic but soft agent counter, and wanted to lean on an anti-range thing more than the theme of bullet bending.
Old October 6th, 2018, 09:24 PM

Also, I did toy with the idea of allowing her sabotage roll to have an automatic +2, but I figured that would be added complication to a power that might already be controversial.
Old October 8th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Xundar Shadowmage + crew

Good changes all around. I have to agree with the others about a range restriction, but not for balance reasons. For fun reasons. Hiding Xundar in a corner all game while simply sending out Shadows isn't really fun for the player or the opponent. There just isn't any risk of losing Xundar until the game is over anyways. Make the player work for it, and give the opponent something to go after.

Someone suggested replacing the Shadow Demon's Phantom Walk + Flying with Stealth Flying, though they aren't exactly the same (Road bonus), and I do like the consistency of the use of Phantom Walk. But in the end I agree, just use Stealth Flying.

Hunting in Shadow has the "conditional on a future event problem," but it's similar enough to Charging Assault to pass. I have to agree with the drop in Attack power suggestion. Make the player work to get a strong attack.

Tentacle Grab is much improved with the die roll, but the threat of dragging an opponent's figure across the battlefield in one round is still a frightening one. Unfortunately it's difficult to solve due to each Binder taking a separate turn. Here's a wild idea to consider: force each turn to be with a different type of unit.

William Gardmund

Let me be frank. Right now, it will be difficult for a small/medium Unique fantasy hero to go through SoV (this is the same internally with C3V). We've just had too many lately (or currently in the works for VC). That's not to say we wouldn't accept them, but the bar is raised.

Selfless Sacrifice is a good power, though overdone. You are having to add a lot of words for the 2-space thing. Even outside of balance concerns, changing it to adjacency would do a lot to simply the power. If it worked for squaddies I could see the argument, but filler should be simple. Additionally, moving the attacked figured to William's place is an unnecessary bell and/or whistle. Yes, it can be advantageous, but it opens a bunch of rules issues and makes the power much more wordy.

March Onward has some rules issues. Specifically, the way it's worded you can do this with any movement, including Vanish, Carry, and Spear of Summoning (which are still "movements"). It should be limited to moving "normally." I also suspect there will be timing issues to contend with. It would be better if the bonus movement happened before the other figure's movement or after it's turn.

Agent Benedict

While Agents have been Vydar's thing so far, I don't have an issue with Utgar picking up a particularly vile one. That doesn't really come through on the card or in play, though, from what I see, other than Ruthless being spelled out directly. Actually, her powers much more strongly suggest the Tricky personality, even more so than a lot of Tricky units.

As an Editor, I hate Sabotage Pulse. It may not even be viable. D20 powers can be anything and everything. The concept of "targeting" is very unclear with D20 powers (at best, undefined at worst). Imagine a power like "Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 11 or higher, all adjacent figures receive 1 wound." If Benedict is adjacent, is she "the target?" How about if the power "choose two figures" instead? That leads into the other problem: what does "ignore the effect" mean? Again, d20 powers can do pretty much anything, so even the concept of "effect" is not defined. This area of the rules is too muddy for something like this. Even if it does not cause any problems now, it will be a rules pain for future powers.

The theme of Bullet Bending doesn't come through. I can appreciate making anti-range units, but I don't see how/why curving a shot would work better against them than it would against anything else.
Old October 8th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
William Gardmund

Let me be frank. Right now, it will be difficult for a small/medium Unique fantasy hero to go through SoV (this is the same internally with C3V). We've just had too many lately (or currently in the works for VC). That's not to say we wouldn't accept them, but the bar is raised.
Well said.

This issue goes back to before VC, even. There are lots and lots of high fantasy human(ish) heroes in the canon: some are ours, some are yours, most are from the official designers. We aren't opposed to having more of them, but they need to offer something different somehow, and they need to shine like a diamond.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:25 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

So this is where I'm sitting right now. (also Gardmund was a typo. It was supposed to be Garmund)

Quote:
NAME = WILLIAM GARMUND
GENERAL = JANDAR
PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE
CLASS = KNIGHT
PERSONALITY = LOYAL
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

1 LIFE
5 MOVE
1 RANGE
2 ATTACK
3 DEFENSE
10 - 20 POINTS

Selfless Sacrifice:
If a small or medium friendly Human hero figure adjacent to William Garmund would receive enough wounds to be destroyed by an opponent's attack, you may destroy William Garmund to ignore any wounds that would be inflicted by the attack.

Honorable Defense:
When defending an attack from a figure who follows Utgar, or Valkrill, William Garmund rolls 2 additional defense dice.
Attack was raised to 2, while the defense was lowered to 3. Selfless sacrifice had some room to play around with when it moved people, which I liked, but simplifying things is usually better. This is a filler, not a multi-life foundation to your army, so I removed a lot of text as was suggestion by several of you, and changed the requirement to simple adjacency.

March onward has two versions I'm considering.
Quote:
March Onward:
After taking a turn a Unique Human Hero who was within 6 clear sight spaces of William Garmund before taking that turn, you may move William Garmund up to 4 spaces.

To the Hero's aid:
Anytime a Unique Human Hero that you control is targeted for an attack, after resolving that attack, you may move William Garmund up to 4 spaces.
The first resolves the issues brought up by Scytale, and others, while functioning mostly the same. The second is inspired by Astroking112's nd Lazy Orang's suggestions, and makes the extra life much less reliable. I also changed the name to be more thematic considering what is triggering it's effect.
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
To the Hero's aid:
Anytime a Unique Human Hero that you control is targeted for an attack, after resolving that attack, you may move William Garmund up to 4 spaces.
As an Editor, I think this version has too many issues. First, targeting a figure does not necessitate attacking that figure, as Smoke Powder proves. Second, "after resolving that attack" leaves lots of questions. In terms of a special attack, do you wait until after that Hero is attacked, or after the full attack sequence? If a special attack targets and hits multiple Unique Heroes, can William move 4 spaces multiple times? How about special attacks that allow you to attack again with that special attack? Does William get to move between each?

At the minimum I would require this to be restricted to normal attacks only. Even then I'm not comfortable with timing issues with various powers that trigger during or after an attack, such as Poison Weapons or Cover Fire.
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:37 PM

What if it was "after successfully defending from an attack?"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards