Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 28th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Arrow Grut Customs

Hey all. Got some customs I'd like to share and remembered I made this thread 10 years ago. Let me know what you think of my first. Bonus points if you can tell me the source material .

Spoiler Alert!

No figure in mind. Probably needs some fix ups on wording, hopefully I'm close though.

Spoiler Alert!

This one is ambitious. No idea on points, though likely in the 150-200 range. 6-hex like the hive. Wouldn't be removed when destroyed.

Two New Customs:

Spoiler Alert!

This is an old one I found in a word document. I need to go over it again, but I really like the idea behind it. A stronger Rygarn with a lot of choices within the design. I have a mini in mind, I will post it soon.

Spoiler Alert!

This a nod to Ashes Rise of the Phoniexborn (1.0) from Plaid Hat. That game has a problem with a unit designation of conjurations being too strong. This is a similar design idea under the same name.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; August 2nd, 2023 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added 2 Customs
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: My first Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow Grut View Post
James Bond
Vydar

Life- 4
Move-6
Attack-4
Defense-4
????

You Only Live Twice-
At the beginning of the game, place a black life marker on this army card. At the start of each of your turns after James Bond has been destroyed, and there is a black life marker on this army card, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, immediately place James Bond on a space adjacent to any figure you control and remove all Wound Markers on James Bond's Card, then remove the black life marker from James Bond's army card.

The Man With the Golden Gun-
If James bond attacks an non-adjacent enemy figure, subtract one from his attack. For every skull James Bond rolls when attacking, counts as an additional skull.

Quantum of Solace-
If James Bond attacks but doesn't destroy an enemy figure this turn, you may immediately move him 4 spaces. James Bond is never attacked when leaving an engagement when using this ability.

It's kinda funny. I'm not really a James Bond fan, I'd just thought it would be fun to do... This is a rough draft, so revisions can be accepted. Points anyone?
One major problem I see is that you forgot his Range stat. As to Points? - A Buncha.

He is effectively an 8 life hero with 4 defense which make him up in the Braxas range, but better defense. Also has a Scatter-like ability, and a Deadly Shot-like ability (with more dice than any other Deadly Shot unit). I think it might be better to specify the number of dice rolled for the "Man With The Golden Gun" ability and change it to a Special Attack. Like:

The Man With the Golden Gun Special Attack -
Range-6, Attack-3
When James Bond attacks with this special attack, each skull rolled counts for one additional hit. James Bond must target a non-adjacent figure when using this special attack.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; January 28th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Reserved

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 7th, 2023 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Removed feedback on old custom
Old July 6th, 2023, 09:37 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Updated thread with new custom.

Old July 7th, 2023, 10:34 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

No figure in mind. Probably needs some fix ups on wording, hopefully I'm close though.
Bold added/modified.

I’m not 100% sure I interpreted Sword Boomerang SA correctly.

I really like corruption, I’m having trouble determining how good it is. Seems like this guy will work very well with Raelin RotV against a big hero, but he’ll get massacred by squads, but with the counterweight of having a one-time anti-swarm ability and a multi-attack SA with the interesting opponent choice. Not sure on points.
Old July 7th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

Bold added/modified.

I’m not 100% sure I interpreted Sword Boomerang SA correctly.

I really like corruption, I’m having trouble determining how good it is. Seems like this guy will work very well with Raelin RotV against a big hero, but he’ll get massacred by squads, but with the counterweight of having a one-time anti-swarm ability and a multi-attack SA with the interesting opponent choice. Not sure on points.
Thanks for the great feedback and edits.As you might have guessed, I'm pretty happy with Reaper and Corruption but iffy on Sword Boomerang. Having it hit your own figures makes little sense in retrospect. I think it needs a playtest or two with your interpretation.

As for points, I think he's pretty similar to a Nilf/Quahon without bonding or flyung but with other strong attrubutes. I think 190 is a fair start. He's got tons of damage potential and until round 3 he's going be tough as nails. He also has fantastic synergy with the best figure in the game, as you point out.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 7th, 2023 at 11:02 PM. Reason: +Rep
Old July 8th, 2023, 12:49 AM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Added Zettian Scrapyard.

Old July 10th, 2023, 10:33 AM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Arrow Grut Customs

Regarding Zettian Scrapyard:

Whoa, some crazy stuff going on there. Scrap Bombardment can only be used up to six times (Deathcommander Mark 3, Deathwalkers 7000, 8000, 9000, Warden 816, and Executioner 616), but it works like an intense version of the Glyph of Wannok. I like how the defense value reflects on the size of the scraps raining down, even though it is strange to imagine pieces of Warden 816 doing a whole lot. And then there is the choice between keeping that last soulborg hero on the card for Vengeance Protocol or sending the bits flying - very interesting.

Part of me wishes that Magnetized Scrap Collection would not be limited to soulborgs you control; there is something beautiful about destroying an opponent's soulborg hero and then repurposing them as ammunition. Release the prisoners

If you were looking to simplify this, the Self-Destruct Special Attack does not seem very necessary (even though a vengeful Deathwalker arising from the ruins of a self-destructed factory is pretty awesome).

Range 7, Attack 4 is pretty brutal, especially if this were ever placed on height. However, it only gets to attack once. I would imagine a factory would have weaker, multi-attacking turrets for defense purposes, but I can see the larger attack making more sense because of how an order marker would be used. The scrapyard does not have a "mind link" ability like the Marro Hive, meaning that an order marker on the scrapyard will solely be a turn with the scrapyard. As a result, the larger attack makes the scrapyard more likely to actually do something. It has its little metal friends for the multi-attacks.

Overall, it is a very imaginative design that gets more out of using deathwalkers without being a cliché soulborg rebirth factory.

Zettian Scrapyard would hate MacDirk Warriors (Alastair would gladly absorb all those skulls, thank you very much) and Sgt. Drake (who can run up unhindered), both of which would lay waste to 10 defense with their high attacks. I like that.

Oh, and I noticed it has 1 life, because of course it does.
Old July 10th, 2023, 02:22 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Thank you for the feedback @Myriadite !

Yeah, the card has a lot going on. I might try to combine a few of the powers. Scrap Bombard is an effect from an official Tundra scenario. I'm with you maybe large and huge only would be better. I'm also think Scrap Collection/Bombardment could work on ANY soulborg unique hero, but only your Utgar Unique Borgs could be revived.

I will have to test it, but I think self-destruct is pretty necessary. There are scenarios where this guy can't do anything and you are waiting for him to die. The enemy can wait right outside your range then rush you, grab wannok and kill you, and Scrapyard loses most of it's pupose once you are down to one borg on the card.

What do you think for points? I was thinking 20-50 above 8k and 9k, with the recognition that Scrap can revive them. The power itself is potent, but your opponent choosing where to assign wounds limits it's immediate impact til the end game.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 10th, 2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old July 10th, 2023, 04:31 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Made a few edits to Slayer and Scrapyard.

Slayer is mostly edits Yammiss suggested.

Scrapyard now can pull all unique borgs, can only seek vengenace with your own Utgarians, and it's even easier to find scrap. You can also no longer rain death with the remains of Eldgrim or a Starlich.

Added a race to both (slayer is not meant to have synergies, this is placeholder). Decided to not make scrapyard a soulborg for now.

Old July 12th, 2023, 12:31 AM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

I do find it a little funny that I comment on your custom then you make a scrapyard for my avatar’s faction (a zettian guard, albeit it he isn’t directly synergistic). Now I know how you really feel (That’s a joke)

But seriously I think it’s awesome. You have to make epic decisions with limited resources. I would suggest instead of making self destruct it’s own power, give the scrapyard the ability to rain death with itself. That way instead of an entirely separate ability it’s just one or two extra clauses in the other power.

I like that you lowered the magnetic collection roll. With such a limited resource (especially considering this guy is a big points investment), a low roll is better. I’d probably go lower than 9. It’s something you’ll probably only get to roll 2ish times a game, so it should be pretty consistent or this guy will feel really swingy.

As a general thought, I think making this guy reduce/offset the swing factor of Deathwalkers is a good idea. If everyone in your army is swingy, it can feel like your decisions aren’t relevant anymore. Might actually be more frustrating for your opponent than you. You’ll have picked the army because you like it, whereas your opponent might feel like we could have just rolled for magnetic pull and skipped the rest of the game.

As for points, I’d start playtesting at 190 (assuming you don’t make any changes) My first thought is he’s worth a lot but since he doesn’t move it makes it harder to judge points. His magnetic collection’s hit or miss thing makes him tough to price. Also his protocol ability requiring Deathwalkers means you have to take not so competitive units. Be aware that with having abilities that work on different groups you’re going to have to do some fine tuning or risk him only being good with one or the other.

Also magnetized scrap collection says large not unique which looks to be a typo based on your description of the changes.
Quote:
Scrapyard now can pull all unique borgs
Also for Slayer, I think it works with either opponent chooses their own or they can choose one of yours. I was just guessing because the wording wasn’t clear. I really don’t think either is particularly more logical. That your opponent controls how a sword bounces but it still gets back to you seems to require either magic or magnetism, but I’m not familiar with source material. It could be something that requires more playtesting to figure out which one is more fun (or make it chose one of yours to lower the points or give the custom a solo playstyle).
Old July 12th, 2023, 01:57 AM
Treasure Quest Champion!

@yammisflash Thanks for the kind words. Deathwalkers/Zetts are far and a way my favorite faction, despite my desire to rain your ilk upon my enemies.

I really like the self-launch change. Much simpler than a special attack. I hear you about the randomness of scrap collection, it is something I've been mulling over. I think the better solution is to make it so if a borg is on the card, you are much less likely to collect; but if there is no borg, you collect for free. I'll figure out the wording in wake hours. 190 sounds good.

As for Slayer, having him hit his own figures helps against the Raelin problem, in a very direct way lol

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards