Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old August 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Catan has some direct player conflict. The conflict is mainly derived from the robber, but there is also the possibility to deny other players' the opportunity to do things they need to do to continue with their plans, and the expansions open up other means of conflict as well.

Dominion's level of player conflict varies from none to maybe a little more than Catan, depending on which cards you're using. My wife and I often use a draw-14-randomly-and-then-take-turns-removing-1 mechanic to pick our 10 cards. Something like that could work nicely for your family to weed out the cards that are too confrontational. If you like your games to have more player interaction of a non-confrontational kind, the Intrigue expansion provides some options in that direction. Dominion can sometimes feel like playing a solo-game with friends and then comparing scores at the end, which has pros and cons--one of the big pros being that you can still have a lot of fun even if you're losing, because the gameplay is so clean and enjoyable. Another big pro for your group being the non-confrontational nature of that.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars1912 View Post
Carcassone My family doesn't like the randomness in this one (Do the expansions help?).
The randomness in Carcassonne is from the drawing of tiles from a stack (or bag). The expansions don't change that at all. What they do do is add a different mechanic (or mechanics) that changes how the game is played a little bit.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:25 PM

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Carcassone My family doesn't like the randomness in this one (Do the expansions help?).
The randomness in Carcassonne is from the drawing of tiles from a stack (or bag). The expansions don't change that at all. What they do do is add a different mechanic (or mechanics) that changes how the game is played a little bit.
Xorlof suggested an alternate rule where you keep a "hand" of 3 tiles to play from. Every time you play one you draw another one. That helps with the randomness some. You could increase hand size to further reduce randomness, but the bigger the hand size the more likely you are to encounter analysis paralysis.

--

--
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Carcassonne never got me too excited the handful of times I played it. It always felt more like assembling puzzle pieces than playing a game. Could just be the game group I played it with, though, but doesn't really do much for me thematically or mechanically.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:35 PM

Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker Mars1912 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Catan has some direct player conflict. The conflict is mainly derived from the robber, but there is also the possibility to deny other players' the opportunity to do things they need to do to continue with their plans, and the expansions open up other means of conflict as well.

Dominion's level of player conflict varies from none to maybe a little more than Catan, depending on which cards you're using. My wife and I often use a draw-14-randomly-and-then-take-turns-removing-1 mechanic to pick our 10 cards. Something like that could work nicely for your family to weed out the cards that are too confrontational. If you like your games to have more player interaction of a non-confrontational kind, the Intrigue expansion provides some options in that direction. Dominion can sometimes feel like playing a solo-game with friends and then comparing scores at the end, which has pros and cons--one of the big pros being that you can still have a lot of fun even if you're losing, because the gameplay is so clean and enjoyable. Another big pro for your group being the non-confrontational nature of that.
Any ideas for games that are fun without expansions? I am only in high school and my income isn't great

I have played Catan and that level of competition would be fine, I'm trying to avoid games like King of Tokyo where you win by eliminating other players on purpose. My Dad is the only one who is fine with direct competition. (He plays Heroclix)
Old August 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

There are lots of great cooperative games out there that are fine without expansions:

Flashpoint: Fire Rescue
Pandemic
Marvel Legendary

to name a few I've played and enjoyed.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM

Personally, I think Dominion is fun without expansions. They just expand the game further. Dominion by itself lasted my wife and I 2-3 months playing it several times a day almost every day when we first got it.

Catan is also fun without any expansions, although it was originally intended to be combined with the Seafarers expansion as one game before suits split it up--the elements in Seafarers that are missing in the original game do affect game balance some, but not in such a way that you would notice until after many plays.

--

--
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I never thought Lords of Waterdeep needed an expansion. I think you're looking for another light Euro game, based on my sense of who you game with & what you've said. There are others, too, though I'd look for one that can play two.

You could get a few things, if you wanted:

Dominion (it would work for your group, even if it's not my personal favorite, plays 2 - 3 just as well)
Love Letter (plays 2 - 4 and is the perfect little game)
Bananagrams (very fun word-making game where it's always your turn)

The whole package might be under $50, and they're all excellent games. In my first draft of this post I had San Juan instead of Dominion, but apparently that game is out of production.

Pandemic is also a good choice if you want to give coop a try. You do not need the expansions for that game. Or, for that matter, for Dominion. You don't need an expansion for any game, really. The one game that comes closest, in my mind, is King of Tokyo. By the time you get to the point with any game where you might want the expansion, you can always choose to get something else. But all the recommendations I've seen in here are for good, solid games, our minor disagreements notwithstanding.*

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 4th, 2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: * ~ But really, Lords of Waterdeep. :)
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Has Bigger Cockles

San Juan is out of print? That's a bummer. It's a great, light game. One of my all-time favorites - and even my non-gamer mom and sister enjoy it.

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No doubt. I was just looking through CSI and Amazon putting together a price list for our Martian friend. I was surprised it wasn't even listed at CSI, but then I understood when it was $120 at Amazon. Weird, considering it's a small, light, quality game.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Any ideas for games that are fun without expansions? I am only in high school and my income isn't great

I have played Catan and that level of competition would be fine, I'm trying to avoid games like King of Tokyo where you win by eliminating other players on purpose. My Dad is the only one who is fine with direct competition. (He plays Heroclix)
Eminent Domain is a really good game that plays well by itself without the expansion.

Eight-Minute Empire is a nice light and quick area control game.

Hanabi is a neat little game.

Coloretto is a fun game too.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Only played a couple games tonight, for while Eight-Minute Empire wasn't that long even with 5 players (4 first timers), it was Age of Mythology that took 3 hours and my last game as I wanted to get out by 10, though others will be there til midnight.

I dig Eight-Minute Empire as a nice light filler game or intro area control for new gamers. We had a couple new people show up tonight (didn't make 50 people like last Monday, but maybe 35), so to welcome them and get them going, I pulled EME from my game bag. One of the newbies one by tiebreaker.

I was asked to join a couple people in playing Age of Mythology, so I jumped in on that. They said it would be a couple hours, but it went on for nearly 3 hours. I came in second. It's an okay game, but a bit long. Good bit of resource management and deciding to build up your city for tech (sort of) or build up your army, or try to advance ages and build a wonder.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games