Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old May 11th, 2016, 02:20 PM

billybob5060 knows what's in an order marker billybob5060 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Heroscape V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob5060 View Post
I really like the direction of this idea, but something I think I would add would be that some characters would have special abilities that could give you more, that way you could have a charismatic leader or a smart tactician without making him a tank. And also what if bonding was like after spending any amount of command points with this guy, you have so many command points to do things with these Kinda cards. Ill use Arrow Gruts as an example:

After spending any amount of CPs with an arrow grut, you may take 2 actions with any Beast you control. For these 2 actions you have 2 CPs.
Bonding requiring CP's sounds like a great balancing point!

You are starting to climb up in how many CP's you'll have to use each turn though. Is there a rough number of CP's you want each player to have per round? Like an average of 10, for example. That's an easier number to manage than 30 CP's obviously.

I'd going with something like 10 because you probably want the Heroscape system and Army Cards to still be the foundation and CP's just boosting play. Or as IAmBatman is stating - it becomes a very different game.

As another suggestion, you could make a Command Deck similar to Spell Deck from Arena of Planeswalker (AoP). Each Command 'card' would have a point value can you add to the cost of your army. You draw Command Cards and can play them each turn. Maybe some cards any unit can use while others require a Unique Hero or even a Unique Hero of a specific general.

Sort of going in a different direction but the cards will be a reminder of what special power or ability that a Command Point creates. This way you aren't flipping through a print out of what you can do with CP's - they are in front of you on a card.

If you don't want to make a random Command Deck, you could still create a set of Rules Cards for each Command Point type. Let's say there are six 'commands': Attack, Move, Bonding, Special Power, Initiative, and Other. Each player has these 6 Command Cards in front of them like Army Cards. Instead of placing Order Markers (OM's), you place Command Point chips on any combination of Army Cards + Command Cards. Chips can be face down and you could include decoy chips like the X-OM's. You could limit how many Chips go on a specific Command Card (like no more than 3 CP's on one command card type).

Players alternate using a set number of CP's each turn. When all CP's are used, you scoop them up - reassign and get ready for initiative.

Hope that helps.

I'm not quite sure what the Average CP would be. One thing to remember is that this idea originally stemmed from the idea of making big games actually epic. If we go with IAmBatman's idea of basing off of life, then it would change depending on how big of a game you were playing. If I were playing a 1000 point game my starting CP might be around 30-40, but if I'm playing a regular 400-500 point game it might be around 10-15.

Another Idea i had though was that maybe common figures don't give you CP. I think this makes sense because normally those figures aren't the leader type but more of the order following type. this would help balance the CP a bit better I think as well.

Check this out for my revisions on heroscape:
Heroscape V2
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:42 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

For 1,000 point armies that are "hero-heavy" - here's something I played recently:

Sentinels of Jandar x3
Protectors of Ullar x3
Atlaga the Kyrie
Kelda the Kyrie
Raelin the Kyrie
Concan the Kyrie
Theracus

This is about 22 Command Points (Life) if you are not counting Common Squads.

If this went up against Gruts (limiting squads to x3):

Heavy Gruts x3
Arrow Gruts x3
Swog Rider x2
Grimnak
Tornak
Ornak
Krug
Mimring
Ice Troll Berserker

.. the Gruts have 30 Command Points.

Granted the Kyrie are really expensive. But you also have to watch out for Marcu's 6-life : )

A few questions (that you may not have worked out yet):

1. How many CP's can you spend in a turn?
2. Do you alternate spending the CP limit back-and-forth?
- if so, what happens when someone has more left over? do they get extra turns?
3. How are you going to track 20-30 command points? You could use tokens, glass beads, etc. of course
Old May 11th, 2016, 11:59 PM

billybob5060 knows what's in an order marker billybob5060 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
For 1,000 point armies that are "hero-heavy" - here's something I played recently:

Sentinels of Jandar x3
Protectors of Ullar x3
Atlaga the Kyrie
Kelda the Kyrie
Raelin the Kyrie
Concan the Kyrie
Theracus

This is about 22 Command Points (Life) if you are not counting Common Squads.

If this went up against Gruts (limiting squads to x3):

Heavy Gruts x3
Arrow Gruts x3
Swog Rider x2
Grimnak
Tornak
Ornak
Krug
Mimring
Ice Troll Berserker

.. the Gruts have 30 Command Points.

Granted the Kyrie are really expensive. But you also have to watch out for Marcu's 6-life : )

A few questions (that you may not have worked out yet):

1. How many CP's can you spend in a turn?
2. Do you alternate spending the CP limit back-and-forth?
- if so, what happens when someone has more left over? do they get extra turns?
3. How are you going to track 20-30 command points? You could use tokens, glass beads, etc. of course
(by the way the gruts only have 29 points not 30, i think you counted a swog, which is common so it doesn't get counted.)

These are some really good points that I have been thinking of. I will start by trying to answer the questions. (Note: a lot of these are just the original ideas and could be subject to change, I was just righting down what I was currently thinking.)

1: The idea was each turn you take 2 actions and each action can cost different CPs depending on what it was. Like moving would take 1 CP, were as some special abilities like might cost more(depending on what they are), also one of the original ideas for this was that every time you do this same action with the same figure, it costs one more, this was to encourage use of multiple different figures instead of piling the all on 1 guy.

2. The original idea was that players would go in turn order doing 2 actions each, once they were done with those 2 actions it would be the next person's turn. If someone ran out of CPs they would be done for the round and the round would keep going until everyone ran out of CPs

3. I think you could use tokens, although if your trying to keep it a secret in your games on who has how many CPs, Paper might work better, but i prefer tokens.

for the 2 different armies thing, i feel like it would have to be tested to see how much of a difference it creates, for some strange reason i feel like its smaller then it seems, although I'm not saying it isn't, it could also be a bigger problem then it seems and potentially destroy the life based system. I will try looking into it a bit more to see what i can pull up about it balance wise.

Check this out for my revisions on heroscape:
Heroscape V2

Last edited by billybob5060; May 12th, 2016 at 09:16 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions