Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:42 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Wow that looks so cool. Very exciting to hear playthrough details. I still havent got in a play yet. I did print out a handful of items off boardgamegeek. @Hahma . I made my 3x3 board out of insulation foam. Its all painted up and looking epic. I used a grid on it so that I could double purpose it for mini games that use grids. I went 1.25 inch on the grid so scape figure bases would fit grid style too if I want. Im going to liquid nails it on a piece of plywood sheeting. Im thinking about going with a 4x4 sheet and centering it on that. That would give me a 3x3 and 4x4 option on one surface. What do you think? My altar is almost finished too. Ill post pics soon.
I'm all for multi-purpose and options for sure when it comes to boards. Would the plywood be bare for 6 inches around the perimeter of the foam board, or are you planning on finishing that too somehow? Would there be a hard ledge all the way around the foam board to the plywood? I suppose you can come up with some pieces to use around the perimeter when going the full 4x4. Good idea for the grid to allow for multi-purpose. I got the Snow and Tundra mat so it could be multi-purpose to use for Halo Ground Command. While it would still be doable if it were an all snow mat, I prefer this for more practicality.

Can't wait to see pictures. I showed my buddy Chris your castle and he thought it was cool.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:43 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Hey, also, how far apart did you space those ladder type ramps you made with craft sticks? I like how they are kinda slotted for the figures to move up.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:48 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I plan on finishing the edge with some more of my composite cardboard cut with my scroll saw to fill in the 6in or so gap, with woodburned cracks in it. I'll paint it up stony as well. The foam board will sit up 1/2 inch from the plywood. This will allow a border without really making a border. After this week ends, I'm on a week of vacation. Maybe a staycation. I might take my wife to the redwoods out by the west coast for our anniversary but I'll still have some time to play in the shop a bit as well if we are only gone for a couple days.

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:50 PM
"like" happy

The board is drying with its first coat of polyurethane. After it drys I'll shoot a couple of pics before I mount it to the plywood. It might be a bit more shiny than it will be in the final stage because of the nature of the poly. I'll flat coat it again after its mounted to the plywood.

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:59 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Hey, also, how far apart did you space those ladder type ramps you made with craft sticks? I like how they are kinda slotted for the figures to move up.
Well the distance width-wise of the long parallel supports underneath is and inch and a half between inside edges of those sticks. The horizontal pieces I actually did 3 different ways it seems. The first one has the widest gaps of between an eighth and a quarter inch, though I didn't have them perfectly uniform as it was supposed to look old fashioned and rickety. The next one I did with maybe a 16th gap, while the last one I did, I just butted them up against each other. Not sure why I did them different, but I guess I was in a different mood each time.

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:59 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
I plan on finishing the edge with some more of my composite cardboard cut with my scroll saw to fill in the 6in or so gap, with woodburned cracks in it. I'll paint it up stony as well. The foam board will sit up 1/2 inch from the plywood. This will allow a border without really making a border. After this week ends, I'm on a week of vacation. Maybe a staycation. I might take my wife to the redwoods out by the west coast for our anniversary but I'll still have some time to play in the shop a bit as well if we are only gone for a couple days.
Quote:
The board is drying with its first coat of polyurethane. After it drys I'll shoot a couple of pics before I mount it to the plywood. It might be a bit more shiny than it will be in the final stage because of the nature of the poly. I'll flat coat it again after its mounted to the plywood.
Sounds Groovy

Old June 1st, 2017, 11:22 PM
"like" happy

Ok here is a close up of my floor board.

Close up with some dwarven dudes

Here comes a cloaked challenger:

Then a final shot with the good old wellspring prize sitting placeholding as a piece of terrain, and my partially done altar just for fun.

Last edited by TREX; June 1st, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM
"like" happy

It took me 3hrs and around 8 bucks worth of materials for that 3x3 board. I still have tons of stuff to do for this game. Now that the majority of the board is done, I'll be able to knock out tons of accent pieces and many more buildings and ruins.
@keglo all I used for the board tool wise was:
Measuring tape and a long board for the grid. A bic pen to indent the lines. An engraver tool to chunk out some pieces. The pen again to give random cracks. A lava rock to crunch in some texture. Aluminum foil crumpled up works good too. Then hand paint black craft paint on the whole thing. I drybrushed two colors. Apple barrel paint from walmart. Pewter grey and granite grey. Then i clearcoated with polyurethane. I kinda want to add some more deviation to it now. Like dirt or snow or some greenish flocking.

EDIT: I will make different pieces that have more earthy bases that will sit on top of the other board if I want it to have some variation.

Last edited by TREX; June 2nd, 2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:33 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Man that looks awesome @TREX . It is pretty much the same general idea that I had for my board except that I think I'll likely try to go with a more generic theme so that it will work with many games. I was thinking just a basic, dark, dungeony sort of thing. I can't wait to start mine but my little columns are taking me longer than I thought though.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; June 2nd, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 08:52 AM
Prickly Cactus

That looks great @TREX !

Definitely worth the time and can't beat the price

Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:22 AM
Prickly Cactus

Morgan and I finished our game last night and did our post game stuff. We had each gotten 3 treasures, though the most central one, near my wall and her fog, was going to be contested since she wanted 4. But when the trolls came out, that kind of changed things, and she agreed to let me get the central one, as she still had 2 under the tile floor ruins, and still had to get out and away from the Troll over there. She made magnificent use of her Leap spell, casting it 6 times. The 2nd to last time her Apprentice cut herself for 5 wounds (to empower the spell to increase the die roll in order to pass), down to 1 health in order to get her last treasure off by Leaping her soldier with the treasure 10 inches. Then the next round, her Wizard cast it to get the badly wounded Apprentice off the board.

Because of our guys moved away from the trolls, they never engaged and were only within 10" and LoS a couple times. Otherwise they wandered in random directions. So while we didn't have any battles with them, they did have an affect on the game. They are really nasty, so only by accident or as a Heroic sacrifice would I want to mess with them at this level. They are slow with a move of 4 inches, but if a monster is within 10 inches and LoS of a member of a warband, it will move toward it and use its second action to move again, though half it's normal move like normal for any figure moving twice. They have a fight +4 (add 4 to their d20 when attacking and defending) an armor of 14 (if you win a battle or shooting attack, the armor is subtracted from the winning d20 roll. So you have to roll pretty high and hopefully have some modifiers to do much damage), and it has 16 health. It's weapon also does +2 damage.

My Ranger that made the mistake of shooting Morgan's bear paid for his transgression, as her Crossbowman and Archer took him out of the game. Post game I rolled a 2 for him and he stayed dead A 1-4 they are dead, 5-8 they are badly wounded and can't participate in the next game, 9+ they are fine. So how he's permanently dead and a 100GC down the drain. Now I'm down to 7 warband members (including my Wizard and Apprentice) and will need to spend some of my 170GC to hire some more. Well I won't spend that much again for one guy at this point, so maybe a Man At Arms for 80GC and a 2nd Infantryman for 50GC. I don't have more Thieves or Thug's painted yet, so I don't want to proxy. I have a Raise Zombie spell that I can attempt before a game to see if I can add a Zombie to my warband and he doesn't cost anything. If I fail, I can try to use it during the game also. Morgan got that kickass Bear with her Animal Companion spell and he will stay with her until it dies like my Ranger or she dismisses it, but then she can try to cast it again. Nice to have a free warband member.

She ended up with 240 XP's and 170 GC. She also got a potion of healing, a potion of speed, and 2 grimoires. One is Bones of Earth and the other is Grenade. When levelling up, she chose to increase her wizard/apprentice health by 1, and also to learn Grenade. Great! Grenade is like the wizard picking up a rock or debris and empowering it, then tossing it at a target point. All figures within 1 1/2 inches of that target point has faces a +3 shooting attack, one at a time.

I got only 200 XP'S because my Apprentice sucked and managed to cast only one spell and failing bad enough a couple times to take 2 wounds twice, my Wizard cast 4 spells. My school of magic for this campaign with Morgan is an Elementalist, which has higher casting roll numbers. There are some powerful spells though when they are successful and I can choose to use my level ups to reduce the roll number by one for each level up I use, but you can't do it twice in the same post game to the same spell. But I also got 170 GC. I didn't level up yet but will later on before our next game. My Wizard was able to cast Fleet Feet on two soldiers with a treasure token, so that adds 2 to their base move, which helps a little when lugging that treasure at half speed. So the thief with a move of 7 had a move of 9. Moving with the treasure halves it to 4.5, and then when he moves a 2nd time at half again, then that's another 2.25 inches.

I also got a Wall scroll, which I already know the spell. So I can either sell it or use it to auto pass that spell after failing to roll for it when casting it. Scrolls are one time use. I also got a Planer Tear scroll, so that's nice. It's a line of sight range spell and basically rips the fabric of space and figures within 2 inches of it must pass a Will check (rolling d20 and adding their Will modifier if any, and their roll has to be higher than the casting roll. Though with a scroll they are automatic successes, I would have to still roll the d20 for purpose of the opponent's Will check) and if they fail, they take 2 damage. If a demon is fails a Will check against it, they take the damage equal to the casting roll, as it's especially nasty against demons. For Magical Items, I got the Drinking Horn of Healing that is pretty awesome, as it allows the carrier of it to use one of its actions to drink from it and heal 2 wounds, and can do this as much as they want during a game, though if you do take 2 actions, one must be a move action, so you couldn't do it twice in one activation of that model. Finally, I got the Banner of Courage which is ok. Spells can't be cast by the carrier of it, so it will have to go to one of my soldiers and fill their one and only item slot. It adds +1 to Will rolls of friendly warband members within 12 inches and LoS. It's situational as you generally do Will checks to avoid affects of certain enemy spells cast at you, so it depends on the spell. Still nice to have.

Very fun!

My Wizard cast another Wall spell behind our group to block LoS of the Snow Troll, as well as forcing it to move around it if it did happen to move in that direction. When monsters aren't within 10" and LoS on their turn, they move in a random direction that we just chose directions and ranges on the d20 and rolled to see where it went. If it did get within 10" and LoS of a soldier after that, then it would use its 2nd action to move toward that soldier at half it's move value.

My crossbowman (bottom center of picture) that got the treasure on the top of the central most small ruin, chose to jump off and move toward the right edge of the board to get the treasure off. He'll meet up with the group later on, as he wouldn't be able to outrun the slow troll, while also dragging the treasure at half speed. Notice that the Wall isn't there anymore. At the end of the round you roll to see if it dissipates on a 17+, and I rolled an 18. My other wall that was butted against Morgan's fog had also dissipated earlier, but her Fog stayed throughout, as it is a 19+ to dissipate.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:32 PM
Prickly Cactus

Here's a work in progress of a project I started this morning. It's going to be a mausoleum to be used in the Mausoleum scenario, the one that was played a few weeks ago with my game group, but using Chris's small corner ruins pieces as the perimeter of the mausoleum. I figured that I may want to try that scenario with my daughter Morgan, so why not make a building for it? Though, it will also serve as any kind of building ore whatever in other scenarios or even other games perhaps.

The rulebook suggests a 6x6 inch building with 4 doors. So that's what I made, as well as it being 3 inch high walls. I also wanted to make a removable roof so that in some games there could be some action taking place inside, though it's not intended to do that in the Mausoleum scenario. In that one, it's placed in the center of the board, with a special treasure outside each corner and a skeleton at each doorway. At the end of the round, another skeleton will come out of one of the doorways. The players still each place 1 treasure somewhere on the board, but the ones on the corners are work an extra 50GC than what you roll for on the treasure table, and an extra 20XP for your wizard beyon the normal 50XP you get for each treasure.

I'll glue it down to the 8x8 base there after I'm done with the main part. Then prime and paint and see whatever else I can do

Well, off to do a lot of weeding of the gardens and start dumping in the 12 bags of mulch I just bought

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures