Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
Perfect sense.

So, instead of "That figure becomes the avatar until it receives a wound."

Maybe, "That figure becomes the avatar. When the avatar receives one or more wounds, remove the avatar card for the chosen hero's card. That figure may act as normal."

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the suggestion, CC!

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
no - it doesn;t make sense, to me.

Does the Alistar avatar have any defence, or stats?
If not, not does it move?
If it doesn;t have stats, than obviously you'd only put this on a hero that did not receive Order Markers this turn.

If the Alistair avatar is dealt a wound, does the avatar go away permanently?

And why do you think that these avatars' abilities are worth only 25 points? +2 defense to all your army, is amazingly powerful. Similarly with +3 range, etc. These are dominating powers.

I'd think the only way to use these is not to have any point values - just have these as options whenever you want to play a battle with them included - anyone can choose from them, max of one avatar per army (obviously).
They are kinda like a blessing, to either army.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
That's how they were originally, Reaper. People said they thought they needed point costs, so I redid them. Oh well.

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
Hey Justjohn: I like the avatar idea but I can understand why Reaper was confused. I assume you meant the avatar would only have the statistics shown on the card until it took a point of damage at which point it would revert to the original hero.

As a figure the original idol idea probably works better though it would still need a cost as was mentioned before. If you wish to continue with an Avatar mechanic, it might be better to create it as an alternate set of rules since it does not have an actual figure or fit the regular rules for a figure. I would suggest you allow the figure to maintain its original stats and the ability to take turns - that is more like an avatar and less like an idol.

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Master Custom Creator

Finding the middle ground is proving to be difficult.

I like both of the ideas, and I do think that they need a point cost. Is it fair to price them all the same? Is +1 attack equal to +1 movement and +1 defense, costwise, for instance? Thats why I liked the idea of no point cost.

I think I like the idea of the avatars more than the idols, they just seem to have more flavor to me. Maybe it's an idea that just isn't going to translate well into HS.

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old May 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Well I'm currently working on an alternate version of the Avatars that I think will work better and fit the theme more nicely as well. Basically it will look something like:

The Chosen of Jandar - At the start of the game choose a unique Hero you contol who follows Jandar and place this card under the chosen Hero's card. Remove this card if the chosen Hero receives a wound or if any figure you control does not follow Jandar.

Blessing of Defiance - All figures you control receive 2 additional defense dice.

Avatar of Defiance - Whenever the chosen Hero rolls defense dice, add 1 automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

So what does this version give you? An actual Avatar. An incarnation of a God or General who walks the battlefield. Unlike the idols, the Avatar is able to move and attack, in addition to bolstering its allies. As the Avatar of Defiance the chosen Hero also receives an additional ability. However if any figure you control does not follow Jandar or if the hero receives a wound, then the Chosen loses its special status.

So in other words if you choose Drake Alexander for your Chosen then he maintains his stats and special abilities AND gains the abilities on the card. I like this idea better since the word Avatar usually refers to a person who is used as a vessel by a more powerful being. The vessel is usually able to move and perform actions as normal, but is much more powerful.

Of course this makes the Avatar cards powerful enough that they could easily unbalance a regular game, so players should agree to use them first. Even though they are played on agreement basis only, I still think they need a high cost since players might choose to play a game in which only one side has an Avatar, in which case the armies need to be balanced.

Anyway let me know what you think of this alternate version of the Avatars. I'll think about other abilities to give the Chosen of each of the other general and also ways the Avatar status is lost. A figure that belongs to another general is an automatic no-no, but I think the wound loss should only apply to Jandar. The other cards should have other ways to cancel the Chosen status for variety =)

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Old June 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Any power that grants everyone in your army extra attack or defense dice is going to be a bear to balance....point cost will have to be through the roof, regardless of whether or not it goes away after taking one hit or whether or not your opponent has an avatar too.
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Master Custom Creator

New figure, StixStax, posted on first page. Look forward to you comments!

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Master Custom Creator

Added another new figure, it is in the first post.

Enjoy!

-jj

smallboxgames.com
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:33 PM

Cool figures JJ. Vargess is interesting since he can get a decent number of attacks but has low life. Have you playtested him? His abilities are powerful but I can see that you limited them with his low life and defense.

Stixstax is interesting. I have a bard character designed too but need a figure for it =\

Also for Vargess' second ability description, you should change "special ability" to special attack.

Old June 8th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

JJ, great concept!

I have a few questions:

all figures are enhanced by Stixstax? Is there a range limit to his cadence? And why do they roll 2 less defense dice?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards