Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thoughts on The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (DoS) has now been out for a few days and I imagine most people who were even a little excited have now been to it at least once. I have viewed it twice now, both times in normal 24 fps, 2d (I probably won't get to it in 48 fps, 3d this year). Anyway, I shall here post my review and would enjoy reading other people's thoughts as well.

Initially, I have to say I highly enjoyed it, much more than the first time I viewed the The Unexpected Journey (TUJ). I believe this was primarily due to my expectations being different, as I knew what to expect. I knew it wasn't going to be LOTR level serious, and that it was going to be much more colorful/fairly taleish, thus, when the overall absurdness of the physics of the Barrels Out of Bond scene came on, I was not completely taken aback.

Movie Pacing
Spoiler Alert!

Beorn
Spoiler Alert!

Mirkwood
Spoiler Alert!

Tauriel
Spoiler Alert!

Smaug
Spoiler Alert!

Well that's the conclusion to my initial thoughts. There is much more I could say, but much of that is nit-picky things I won't go into, at least not yet. Overall, I found it a very enjoyable movie, and while there was much I would have done differently, there was much I am pleased with as well.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!

Last edited by Garenex; December 15th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:15 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!
Re: Thoughts on The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Can you put this in spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet? When I clicked on this thread I thought they were your thoughts before you saw the movie. I just don't want it to be ruined for people who haven't seen it .
-NS, probably seeing it soon
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I saw it today, and was very disappointed. I'll start off with some history. I love all 3 LotR movies, and have seen them each a bunch of times. I saw An Unexpected Journey and was disappointed, but upon re-viewing I appreciated it for what it was. I went into the Desolation of Smaug expecting more campy humor, and I found it, in some scenes (the barrel rider scene was perfect).

But the movie drug on, and on, and on, and on, and on ... I don't need to see every place the Dwarves visit. They finally get to Erebor and meet Smaug, which was excellent. I especially liked the visual effect of Smaug's belly lighting up red before he breathed fire. However, what the heck was with the ending?! In the book:
Spoiler Alert!

Overall, nothing happened in this movie. We meet Bard & Smaug, and get some more Legolas fight scenes, but that's really it. I'll watch the third one, but I've given up hope that it will be one of my favorites.
Old December 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I was kind of disappointed.

Spoiler Alert!

Now I just want to go watch the Rankin Bass movie again.
Old December 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-vile View Post

Overall, nothing happened in this movie.
I agree, but this is honestly what I was expecting, with it being the middle movie. Basically this set up everything that's going to happen in the third movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post

It's not that I mind that it's not-the-same-as-the-book. At this point, it's "Peter Jackson's Hobbit" and we're just going to have to live with that.
I have also developed that mindset, where I know that the books are Tolkien's Middle Earth and the movies are Peter Jackson's Middle and that they are essentially separate entities.

Quote:
It's that the changes don't really add much. I feel that (in Hobbit 2 even more than Hobbit 1), Jackson can't help himself but add "action" to every scene. Going to Beorn's house contains one of the best comic bits in the book. Now, it's When Bears Attack. The escape in the barrels involves trickery (and comedy), now it's an action sequence. Dwarves in Laketown? Let's add an orc attack! Bilbo goes to talk to Smaug -- giant action sequence! Etc. etc.
I agree with a lot of your sentiments here as well, that many of the changes did not add a lot, especially actioning up every single scene and not giving any breathing room.

Black Arrows
Spoiler Alert!

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old December 16th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Did anyone else notice the unusual amount of decapitation in the film? I think the ratio of deaths was something like 30% death by decapitation 60% death by arrow and 10% death by other (stabbed, crushed, drowned, etc.)

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...

Last edited by Crixus33; December 16th, 2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: death ratio of deaths, I need to proofread before pressing post
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I enjoyed it. I was disappointed with the first one, but not anymore. I was expecting Lord if the Rings, when in reality, The Hobbit was a very different style of book. It was humorous, it was unreal, and it had a much lighter tone to it than The Lord of the Rings. With that in mind, I really enjoyed the The Desolation of Smaug. The one part of the movie I really, really, really disliked, was when the Orc got catapulted up to Legolas, who the beheaded him. I'm all for action, and even a little cliche. But that was just straight up cheesy.
Old December 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I've very much enjoyed both movies. I went in without any expectations, only to get lost in the 'the world of Tolkein' and that's exactly what I got. I wouldn't have been dissappointed if the run time were another hour.

Spoiler Alert!

-insert signature here-
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Now I just want to go watch the Rankin Bass movie again.
Could not agree more. I just kept thinking, the animated version is better.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:56 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I think the animated version captures the 'dark and forboding' feeling much better than 'live action' ever could be expected too.

-insert signature here-
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:46 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I've very much enjoyed both movies. I went in without any expectations, only to get lost in the 'the world of Tolkein' and that's exactly what I got. I wouldn't have been dissappointed if the run time were another hour.

Spoiler Alert!
I liked it too. went in with less expectations than Movie 1 and found that i quite enjoyed this one more...because of the surprises. I like the stretching of the story to link the two trilogies more...in my opinion it makes the Hobbit seem more epic than the book.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA

Last edited by ZBeeblebrox; December 17th, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: To feel the connections in the books you have to read more than the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

A few questions about differences between the new version and the animated version. Perhaps someone who knows the Book well enough could clear some things up for me.

Spoiler Alert!

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies