Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old October 5th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The minis will not be a sea of unpainted gray

They're not going to offer them painted. That's not going to change. If you want them painted, your only option is to pay for painting separately, I'm afraid. If that's a dealbreaker for you, we all (I hope) accept that, express our sympathies, and are emotionally prepared to move along as you do as well.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 5th, 2022, 10:12 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Looking at the main picture now for a little while longer, I think it would definitely help to maybe have a couple of different battlefield setups with two factions biting each other one at each side at the 500 point limit with maybe a little less terrain going on as well.

The picture does look a little bit like a huge color vomit, which I think might make people extra hesitant on unpainted figures because it looks like a big amount of indistinguishable figures from a first look perspective.

Showing figures grouped by faction and by general from two different sides or smaller fights within a map would help give things a little more cohesion and easier to distinguish and maybe help figures pop out more.

I'd go with like the bugs versus the clockwork combine, then the ironclad versus the sotm or some Valkyries group together, and then maybe pirates versus dryad.

People might believe that no paint is being cheap, but there might be an unconscious realizing that it's hard to differentiate units. I just know with playing with new players, sometimes having everything be individually painted can blend into one big thing to, so play up on the color scheme helping new players especially fee like their army is a cohesive team.

Upset City Baby.
Old October 5th, 2022, 11:14 PM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Also, another way to increase value without adding more product and hence cost is to give us more fancy tiles. These are expensive to get now, but it really wouldn't cost too much more to make some lava tiles instead of rock tiles. This set hasn't been made yet. There's still time to switch terrain types around with no need to refigure minis or terrain sculpts.

We don't need so much rock, sand, grass and water when none of them have different rules (besides water, but you don't really need to make lakes when it'd take forever to cross them.). You'd only need a small amount of ice, snow, lava, molten lava, road and shadow tiles to add some interesting rules to the set and have that be a more solid reason for people to buy another set of all unique figures "just for the terrain."

I'd say cut grass in half and replace with a splattering of snow, lava, and road tiles instead and use any leftover amounts, or even add the 10~ single tiles short from an ROTV amount, to have ice, shadow and molten lava. Maybe cut some rock and sand as needed, or finally get some quicksand rules or maybe have jumping down onto rock add damage rolls unlike softer grass or sand.

I think it'd also help the sting of new people going to local small tournaments and seeing a lot of alternately colored tiles with new rules and saying "what is all that?" And then after playing the maps "I wish I had all those types of tiles." Or feeling like they're missing a core component of the game. It's easy to proxy or 3D print old figures, but not the tiles.

Just a small bit of each type will do a lot. It'll make people excited to see individual terrain expansions to increase the amount of fancy tiles down the line. I didn't mention swamp, swamp water and dungeon since they don't really add a whole lot of change except for a handful of units, but hey, let's really showcase the SCAPE.

Upset City Baby.

Last edited by brak88; October 6th, 2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old October 6th, 2022, 02:32 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZMagus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Most board game minis come unpainted these days. All of my large crowdfunders have them.
This is one of the main points that bothers me about the painted/unpainted debate, namely those showing their displeasure that the new miniatures are unpainted. As you and many others have brought up, the amount of pre-painted miniatures on shelves in 2022 is little to none, and, from what I've been seeing, people neglect to remember that. A line of miniatures with unique designs, quality sculpts, AND that come pre-painted is just not viable in the current economic climate. I'm personally not convinced in the slightest that, if the current Vanguard set came with pre-painted minis for a price tag of $450 (give or take), it would be enough incentive for nay-sayers to back the project, especially if they're complaining about the current price tag of $250.

We all (CVN included!) were incredibly fortunate to experience the level of quality in design, presentation, and bang for your buck of classic Heroscape from 2004-2010. That time has long since passed. The best thing we can do is to look ahead for new ways of making Heroscape a viable game.
Found a game with over 60 fully painted miniatures right here, from a campaign this year, from a way smaller company than Hasbro, for about the same price. You can argue about the quality of the paint work, but I'd say it's on par with the original Heroscape minus the heavy wash they had.

Something to keep in mind when comparing crowd funded offerings in this way is that some companies price things badly, and end up losing money on a successful campaign. It's hard to do a one to one comparison. It might tell us something, but it might not.
Old October 6th, 2022, 04:01 AM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak88 View Post
Also, another way to increase value without adding more product and hence cost is to give us more fancy tiles. These are expensive to get now, but it really wouldn't cost too much more to make some lava tiles instead of rock tiles. This set hasn't been made yet. There's still time to switch terrain types around with no need to refigure minis or terrain sculpts.
Great idea. If it's not possible to sneak it in with this set, a future offering that includes these would be a big hit.
Old October 6th, 2022, 04:36 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Would it make sense to flood the BGG site with Scape pics? I'm a little surprised there are no pics of the preview in the gallery, but I really think it needs some epic 4+ Master Set maps for the Wow-Factor.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 6th, 2022, 08:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

They are there now.
Old October 6th, 2022, 11:48 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Something to keep in mind when comparing crowd funded offerings in this way is that some companies price things badly, and end up losing money on a successful campaign. It's hard to do a one to one comparison. It might tell us something, but it might not.
The funding goal on that project was also $720K. I think we can argue that the point is being made for us. Considering how much more the HasLab project is offering (even unpainted), 2mil isn't far off at all.

-insert signature here-
Old October 6th, 2022, 12:32 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Would it make sense to flood the BGG site with Scape pics? I'm a little surprised there are no pics of the preview in the gallery, but I really think it needs some epic 4+ Master Set maps for the Wow-Factor.
This is a great idea. Unfortunately BGG policy requires you to have either taken the picture yourself or have explicit permission from the owner to post it.
Old October 6th, 2022, 12:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
This is a great idea. Unfortunately BGG policy requires you to have either taken the picture yourself or have explicit permission from the owner to post it.
Yeah, I ran into the same thing. I was going to cross-post all the Haslab pictures. I suggested the AH marketing team do it instead.

Someone is already doing it, though I'm not sure if they're from AH or not.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 6th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I mean pics of what we have, at least the terrain. Show some people what 4 of these new Master Sets could build. They definitely did not tap the potential of epic battlefields yet.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old October 6th, 2022, 01:13 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I mean pics of what we have, at least the terrain. Show some people what 4 of these new Master Sets could build. They definitely did not tap the potential of epic battlefields yet.
Do we have an actual breakdown of the terrain included yet? As someone who's considering backing for terrain and selling the minis to recoup some cost (if I can scrounge together the budget) I'd be pretty interested. But also we don't know what maps we can build unless we know the specifics of the terrain being offered.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion