Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old June 27th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] UNIT NAME (Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer) - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
@Fakeraistlin your post gave me an idea I'm just throwing out there. We could do something after movement and before attack that rolls the 20 sided die and the result determines what kind of attack she does (being careful to word it not to create a loop). If we do 3 results we'd have to keep them fairly straight forward to avoid a huge text wall. I wonder if two might be better.

Something good like

1-10 double attack with range
11-20 you may attack all adjacent figures

Or something where most results are good, but some results are really good

1-17 double ranged attack
18-20 may attack all figures within X clear line of sight spaces
That's fun, but you have to be careful with it, or the unit really suffers. Just play the Master of the Hunt to know how even a relatively small difference in the amount of range available is frustrating. As is, this first design is very contrary to itself. To ensure an attack, you will always have to play for the 11+, so you'll always force engagement. If you get it, 1-10 may just be less attacks. The range would only be useful on the turns you cannot get into engagement, in which case it's just a hope that you can attack.
Old June 27th, 2019, 11:20 AM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Heres another special for consideration.
Still reading custom guidelines (exactly what i was looking for btw) by scytale...

Fire Ring Burst

Instead of moving and attacking chandra can cast this special ability

On a roll of 1 chandra takes 1 damage.
On a roll of 2-12 All adjacent unit rolls seperately one die of dmg
On a roll of 13 to 19 do 1 damage to each adjacent unit.
On a roll of 20 do 2 damage to anything within range 2
Old June 27th, 2019, 12:54 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
BURNING HANDS SPECIAL ATTACK
Attack 3, Range Special

Choose two straight lines from Chandra, each 3 spaces long. All figures on those spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Chandra's Burning Hands Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Burning Hands Special Attack.
I like the above revised version (except maybe the name ).

I have another idea, especially to go along with the discussion on Blazing Firecats and making the Pyromancer a kind of cheerleader for Lava Resistant Figures.
Quote:
[LAVA CAST] / [OBSIDIAN FIELD]:
All land spaces adjacent to [CN,P] are considered lava field spaces [for special powers and end of the round rolls].
Note: text in brackets is optional for clarity. Helps any Blazing Firecats Synergy that is boosted by lava field, causes end of the round wounds to opponents next to [CN,P], plus assist all LR figures. I am trying to figure out exact wording but the below would be even better but might be overkill as I am really just trying to help Obsidian Guards specifically (not sure if Avernus from C3V will help as I'm not in the Sancutm):
Quote:
LAVA CAST
Friendly Lava Resistant figures on land tiles and are adjacent to [CN,P] are considered on Lava spaces for special powers. All other figures adjacent to [CN,P] are considered on Lava Filed spaces for special powers and end of the round rolls.
Old June 27th, 2019, 03:35 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

We can push the synergy angle, but I generally agree with the sentiments of others to avoid a tight synergy that all but requires the two units to be played together. The more synergies we put on Chandra, the more it becomes that. I like having just what was suggested because it doesn't strongly link the two, but does have some bonuses when playing them together.

C3V recently did a unit that changes terrain type, and it caused no end of trouble to us Editors. I really, really want to avoid doing that again.
Old June 27th, 2019, 04:36 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I prefer not having her create lava terrain simply because the rules for lava field probably won’t be specifically included in this Master Set. Plus, it just doesn’t quite fit the figure for me. I don’t see her radiating heat in the same way the GIE radiates cold, so the implementation doesn’t hit me as smoothly as having her use fire for pure offense.
Old June 28th, 2019, 09:22 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaur0n View Post
@Fakeraistlin your post gave me an idea I'm just throwing out there. We could do something after movement and before attack that rolls the 20 sided die and the result determines what kind of attack she does (being careful to word it not to create a loop). If we do 3 results we'd have to keep them fairly straight forward to avoid a huge text wall. I wonder if two might be better.

Something good like

1-10 double attack with range
11-20 you may attack all adjacent figures

Or something where most results are good, but some results are really good

1-17 double ranged attack
18-20 may attack all figures within X clear line of sight spaces
That's fun, but you have to be careful with it, or the unit really suffers. Just play the Master of the Hunt to know how even a relatively small difference in the amount of range available is frustrating. As is, this first design is very contrary to itself. To ensure an attack, you will always have to play for the 11+, so you'll always force engagement. If you get it, 1-10 may just be less attacks. The range would only be useful on the turns you cannot get into engagement, in which case it's just a hope that you can attack.
Thanks Jaur0n, I'm a fan of random amount of a power (e.g. Anubian Wolves), not different power gets activated - I like the ability to select what strategy to implement, and not gamble. Though ....

Though it is interesting, maybe we can give Chandra some kind of madness where she selects an attack mode that doesn't make any strategic sense at the moment and to compensate the power or powers make up for it...Occasionally
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:17 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Choose two straight lines from Chandra, each 3 spaces long. All figures on those spaces who are in line of sight are affected by Chandra's Burning Hands Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice for all affected figures. Affected figures roll defense dice separately. Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by Burning Hands Special Attack.
I was trying to avoid any confusion about hitting an adjacent double-spaced figured with both lines (hit once or twice?), but yeah, I agree this version is better.
The figure is either "on those spaces" or it's not. It can't be "on those spaces" twice, so there shouldn't be any confusion (not that even clearer things haven't ever gotten confused). But it's just like an Ogre Pulverizer attacking a Samurai: excess shields still only count for one unblockable hit each because they "count as one unblockable hit" which satisfies Lumbering Bully and Counter Strike simultaneously.

Quote:
Really, just a unit with two different special attacks does most of what you intend: a unit with variable powers. Just in a simpler, more 'Scapy way.
I think that's what attracted everyone to the idea originally on the Discord channel.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:31 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Really, just a unit with two different special attacks does most of what you intend: a unit with variable powers. Just in a simpler, more 'Scapy way.
I think that's what attracted everyone to the idea originally on the Discord channel.
^ This. Let’s make her special attacks not effect LR figures, and leave moltarn/LR synergy to other cards/custom creators.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:16 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Quote:
Quote:
^ This. Let’s make her special attacks not effect LR figures, and leave moltarn/LR synergy to other cards/custom creators.
So most people seem to like the double fire line special what about the other special attack? Fire ball lob?

Long live heroscape
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:20 PM

I'm not sold on having two special attacks. It's fine, but I don't see it necessarily better than other directions we've discussed. And as far as special attacks go, a double fireline is already complex enough; we don't need something else with it.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 02:15 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I'm not sold on having two special attacks. It's fine, but I don't see it necessarily better than other directions we've discussed. And as far as special attacks go, a double fireline is already complex enough; we don't need something else with it.
I tend to agree here. We don’t need to shy away from a one-power card here, and we can still accomplish the goal of giving her multiple attack modes by giving her a long-range normal attack.

I could still be sold on a second special attack, but nothing proposed so far seems quite as novel or useful as the fireline.

If the firelines are all she has going on, we can probably play with attack and range values of up to 4 depending on how we want to tweak it.
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:02 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

If we are just going for the double fire line special attack, how does this feel:
Life: 6
Move:5
Range: 6/7
Attack:4
Defence:3

Long live heroscape

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs