Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old November 3rd, 2022, 11:55 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: AOA: Playing The New Factions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriadite View Post
The "Hire Crew" power is very thematic and fun. Crimson Widow could give the hired unique squad an extra attack die with "Pirate Commander" (melee only) and move them with "Midnight Raid", and Bok-Bur-Na could help their attacks with the "Intimidate" power.
I was working on that concept and trying to come up with a good name for it. "Pressgang" didn't seem right, because that was used to add poor folks to the *navies*, and not to pirate crews.

So I did some research, to figure out how pirate captains actually added crew to their ships. It turned out, the answer was as old as recorded history: they paid them. Sailors wanted to be pirates because it was the best way to make a living on the open seas.

Hence the power name: Hire Crew.
I love this. To add pirates to Heroscape, it could have just been a squad with the right aesthetic and armed with knives / flintlock pistols. Instead, we have a whole faction of units who really feel like pirates. Hiring crews, starting a mutiny, intimidating enemies - the drama of it all is spot on.
Thank you.

The earliest versions of the pirates had a lot of what you're seeing here, but variations in numbers and bonuses meant that, on the map, they wanted to pod up just like any other bonding squad. It was very important to me that they *played* like pirates, scattering and making trouble across the board, so we kept working on them until we got that right.

This is as good a place as any to remind everyone that *no* card - not mine, not anybody's - was developed in isolation from input from the team. When I say that "I" did this or that, as a designer, I hope everyone remembers that I was lucky enough to have design and testing feedback from a fantastic group of colleagues.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 4th, 2022, 01:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"They're not really rules, more like a set of guidelines."
--The Jack Sparrow movies

While Cornelius Breech's "Mutiny" power name is thematic, it seems to me as a game mechanic that this guy really serves as a back up if you're first Captain is killed, rather than someone who would attack a fellow Captain himself to supplant him/her. I remember reading that pirate Captains were actually elected by their crews. If so I don't know how many mutinies broke out among them, although I suppose anything could happen.
Old November 4th, 2022, 01:42 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Now that we've seen more from the pirates I find them more interesting, I'd really like to get a hold of those figures and add them to my collection
Old November 4th, 2022, 07:10 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I wonder though, why couldn't the pirates, at least one of the squads, just have been historical human pirates. That would have done a lot for me for this set.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old November 4th, 2022, 08:40 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

It looks like 3 of the 5 Pirate Captains are human, and about half of the Exiles squad too (the women). That's not quite the same thing, but there are more humans than any other single species in the faction, I think. I do like the idea of the "Integrated" multi species squads, which makes them Space Fantasy Pirates.

And you could use them with the C3V Custom Human Buccaneers of of Tortuga, as I'm sure we will around here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55588

Perhaps they just didn't want to duplicate them; after all, some of the same people are designing both. Note the similarity of name in one of the new squads "Dreadnaughts of New Tortuga."

The only time these Customs were on our table, Sherman Davies wiped the floor with me using multiples of them, even though at first they didn't seem desirable enough for me to include in an army build. I now look at them with new respect, although I haven't run them myself yet! (I do like to play everything myself at least once eventually).

It seems odd to me personally that some people don't play with the Customs. Especially those who are so excited by finally getting some new Official cards (if we fund). One person who gave me some positive Rep recently when I was writing about how nicely C3V filled out Valkrill's faction, commented on it something like "Customs never count," even though for me and mine here in NYC they obviously do. Sherman Davies and Taeblewalker were/are involved in their creation, and I've even had some input on about three of the cards through our playtesting comments and suggestions. Kolakoski created Kha for SOV/VC. We sometimes include our own customs as well, and many of our fun games come from play testing them, whether "Private Customs" or "Private Supers."

Last edited by chas; November 4th, 2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old November 4th, 2022, 09:30 AM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's true that the C3V customs look awesome - though I haven't had the chance to play with them yet (but that's going to change soon enough when I play my first game with you and the rest of the NYCG4 gang next Wednesday!) - but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have wanted more "historical" looking pirates in an officially-released set. This is especially true because Encarmine himself argued more than once, early on in the campaign, that the pirates provided the team with opportunities to insert historical figures. As IAmBatman noted so eloquently in another thread, what people look for in "historical" units is an aesthetic; they're looking for units that look like how they envision historical pirates appear (regardless of whether or not such an appearance would accurately encompass pirate apparel). From where I'm standing, only two units - Killian and the Exiles - actually fulfill this criteria; that's around five figures out of the eighteen pirate sculpts in the set (and five historical-looking units in total out of seventy-one figures), and two of the Exiles are actually aliens. I think it's entirely reasonable to be disappointed in the lack of historical pirates in AoA solely by dint of the standards Encarmine established early in the set's promotional material (especially since neither Fia Bonny nor the Crimson Widow really "scan" as historical pirates).

(As an aside, the Buccaneers of Tortuga look awesome, but as Rogues, they also don't benefit from the Dawn Raiders' internal synergy web).

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 4th, 2022, 11:15 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like the addition of the alien/fantasy pirates, but it would have helped to include some more 'pure' human pirates to ensure a larger historical presence in the set
Old November 4th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like this pirate army:
Cornelius 80
Fia Bonny 160
Bok-Bur-Na 285
Dreadnoughts 385
Knaves 450

BBN and Fia Bonney both give some range options, Dreadnoughts hit hard against heroes, Cornelius is your backup Captain, and Knaves are good openers to thin out the opposing army.

I think the Crimson Widow plus Admiral is a good base too. This army lets you spread out your OMs every round (nice with the CW's X ability), tie up opposing figures with a strong counterstrike option while you dance around with Knaves, and then a solid endgame figure in the Admiral who can use the remnants left to buuff his boarding party special.
Crimson Widow 150
Admiral 320
Knaves 385
Hired Izumi 445
Old November 4th, 2022, 08:39 PM

Great stuff. That's a lot of army points, but hey, dream big. Tournament armies tend to be like 500 points; around here we often use more like 600, at least in my games.
Old November 4th, 2022, 09:36 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So the Frostclaws can bond with Tuck Harrigan or Imperator Kayne. Pretty cool. Either of these would add some ranged attacks to the bears build.
Old November 5th, 2022, 04:46 AM

A new Watch It Played video was just redone and made available, which in one segment shows four more AOA Cards that are not yet in the Haslab offering page's Card Compendium. They are two Clockworks: Wing Commander Tuck Harrington and Imperator Kayne, and two Dawnraider Pirates: Exiles of the Sundered Sea and Admiral EJ-1M. This video is currently available on the main News thread for AOA here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...60936&page=250

I think all Pirate Captains have a Captain's power that is not listed on their cards, and is a new rule in the new rulesbook; I forget the name. So my question is--is the Admiral a Captain that also gets this power?

PS: Still unrevealed are the Dryan Lifeborne faction (some of which may be changed to Ullar loyalty), the Clockwork Airship and Gliders, and the new Valkyries. I think we also need the Ironbound exclusive (that looks like a Brood); we have the actual Brood one that chitters.

I think the Gliders have a board entry ability that is the same as or similar to Tuck Harrington's (Craig mentioned this during the PulseCon video); coming in after a numbered order marker is played. I don't know if they have to be towed in by the Airship.
Old November 5th, 2022, 03:04 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
A new Watch It Played video was just redone and made available, which in one segment shows four more AOA Cards that are not yet in the Haslab offering page's Card Compendium. They are two Clockworks: Wing Commander Tuck Harrington and Imperator Kayne, and two Dawnraider Pirates: Exiles of the Sundered Sea and Admiral EJ-1M. This video is currently available on the main News thread for AOA here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...60936&page=250

I think all Pirate Captains have a Captain's power that is not listed on their cards, and is a new rule in the new rulesbook; I forget the name. So my question is--is the Admiral a Captain that also gets this power?

PS: Still unrevealed are the Dryan Lifeborne faction (some of which may be changed to Ullar loyalty), the Clockwork Airship and Gliders, and the new Valkyries. I think we also need the Ironbound exclusive (that looks like a Brood); we have the actual Brood one that chitters.

I think the Gliders have a board entry ability that is the same as or similar to Tuck Harrington's (Craig mentioned this during the PulseCon video); coming in after a numbered order marker is played. I don't know if they have to be towed in by the Airship.
Is this bit about the Captain's Power speculation or is it based on the beta rulebook?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion