Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
The first time I faced the gladiators, I had believed all of the board hype about them being terrible. A friend who I don't play all that often had just bought the Gladiators and Nakitas and insisted on playing with all of them for an even 500 points to try them out.

I had a Krug army, and I forget what the other guy had. (It was a 1v1v1.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, they wiped the board. I wasn't sure which gladiator to go after first, and Crixus and Spartacus massacred Krug and all of my 'swogs to the face.'

The terrain wasn't very forgiving to putting many gruts next to swogs, so I wasn't really able to hurt them very much at range. A melee fight with the gladiators is no picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Boozehammer is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin
Well...

I tried a gladiator army the other night:

Spartacus
Crixus
Retarius
Kaemon Awa

...and had my head handed to me by a Cyprien-led Grut Orc army. The number of points tied up in units that only get one attack per turn marker is awfully difficult to overcome.

~Aldin, disappointedly
Exactly. Worth != Number of Attacks per Turn Marker / Cost.

IMO Best Strategy on How to Use Spartacus: Don't.
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Great article, Fezzik. I'm especially intrigued by the Death and Undeath optional concept. I need to try that one...
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Riptide is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod
Great article, Fezzik. I'm especially intrigued by the Death and Undeath optional concept. I need to try that one...
As am I.

Great Article, Fezzik.
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM

War Solves Everything has disabled reputation
Awesome! What I don't understand is why Bloody is saying an Arrow Grut could wound Crixus. I don't think there would ever be a time I didn't have my X order marker on Spartacus. Two attack against four defense.

I feel sorry for you. Your not me.
Old September 17th, 2007, 06:28 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Solves Everything
Awesome! What I don't understand is why Bloody is saying an Arrow Grut could wound Crixus. I don't think there would ever be a time I didn't have my X order marker on Spartacus. Two attack against four defense.
You're assuming that the Swog abilities don't stack. They do. Optimally, I should have two swogs adjacent to my Arrows, so that's 3 attack dice. Yeah, Crixus has a chance of being wounded. My main problem with the glads is the fact they can't kill multiple units at once, but the units they are trying to kill can often kill them in sheer number alone.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM

eveningdrive has disabled reputation
At 200 points he has the same value as Kato Katsuro. With the impending release of the daimyo, I sense that Spartacus will very likely receive his gladiator squad and in the end, he will be played like Kato, a general commanding his troops.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

My Custom Cards and Figures
My Custom Maps and Scenarios
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:01 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
A glad squad should be common, cost 60 pts. Att: 2; Def 3; Move: 5 Have Glad bonding and this ability:

I Am Spartacus!
Any time an attack would destroy Sparticus, you may instead destroy any one (insert name of common gladiators).

(Previously mentioned in the Book of Spaticus, by ME)

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
A glad squad should be common, cost 60 pts. Att: 2; Def 3; Move: 5 Have Glad bonding and this ability:

I Am Spartacus!
Any time an attack would destroy Sparticus, you may instead destroy any one (insert name of common gladiators).

(Previously mentioned in the Book of Spartacus, by ME)
It wouldn't make much sense if a Gladiator all the way back in a corner yells "I AM SPARACTUS!" and dies instead of Sparactus. If that was a custom, have it require to be within range of the attacking unit as an additional requirement.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:

I Am Spartacus!

It wouldn't make much sense if a Gladiator all the way back in a corner yells "I AM SPARACTUS!" and dies instead of Sparactus. If that was a custom, have it require to be within range of the attacking unit as an additional requirement.
Adjacent works even better. I am thinking of version of Death Defy, but in reverse. Sort of like Hivelord Life Bonding meets Adjacent Tough, maybe.

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
I like the emphasis put on using Spart as a melee unit. It seems that most people forget that he is as strong stats wise as Drake No. 1

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:

I Am Spartacus!

Adjacent works even better. I am thinking of version of Death Defy, but in reverse. Sort of like Hivelord Life Bonding meets Adjacent Tough, maybe.
You may be right. Adjacent probably would keep that power from being too strong.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles