Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 7th, 2014, 12:27 AM

Zarklin knows what's in an order marker Zarklin knows what's in an order marker
First try at custom TJ-WIP-(picture heavy)

So it seems that even after I've spent way to much money on scape I'm still to cheap to buy a real TJ set. I've been digging around in the custom terrain section and decided to make my own. With only pictures to look at I'm having a hard time getting it "just right"

This is still a WIP and I'm looking for any and all feedback I can get to make things better. I don't want to waste too many tiles

I primarily used Rocktrolls custom TJ as my guide. Between the $1 store, local pet shop and Amazon I gathered up some supplies.

Trying bushes first, trees to come later.

I have some other plants on the way that may be a better fit for the infamous, "has only be found in the games workshop jungle set" little bush. I may or may not paint the other plant to match the original. (see Rocktrolls guide to see what I mean)

First thing I did was hot glue a layer of the floral moss on.
Then I glued on the stubs/stems from the plants and tried to wiggle them down into the moss. and added another layer of moss to cover the stem bases.
Lastly I trimmed off all the excess moss

Now I intend to paint these dark green like the originals but I wanted to see how the plants looked on the base before I went any further.

Two of the plants came 2 per stem so I put them on the base that way.

Spoiler Alert!

I thought they looked too big and sloppy and took away from the tall grass piece. I took it down to one plant per stem.
Spoiler Alert!

Here's the issues I feel I have so far and my ideas to fix them.

The tall grass stem needs to be straight up and down.
Don't glue it at an angle Duh!

Stem Placement seem a bit "off"
Too close to the edges?

The Height is too uniform
Think I need to cut down the pointy bush

The stems are too long if I'm only using one plant and the bottoms of the plants don't look like they are part of the base.

Solution A: Glue the stems down to the hex first and then bury them in the moss more, leaving a hole for the bottom of the plant to "sink" into

Solution B: drill holes for the stems and glue them up from the bottom. Then cover in moss, leaving a hole for the bottom of the plant to "sink" into

Thanks for any and all feedback guys and Happy Scaping

Last edited by Zarklin; May 8th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Re: First try at TJ bush-WIP-(picture heavy)

Personally, I love the look of the moss as is. I wouldn't paint it green.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:17 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!
Re: First try at TJ bush-WIP-(picture heavy)

I drilled some holes in the tiles for the plant stems. It seemed to work out well. You can see them in the link in my sig.
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:12 AM

Re: First try at custom TJ-WIP-(picture heavy)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Porkins the moss is kinda growing on me. I may just spray it with some matte or hairspray to stop it from flaking.

OK so here is my second attempt and I'm much happier with the outcome. I scrapped off as much of the moss and glue from the first batch as I could and used to hot end of the glue gun to soften it and peel more.

Prep:
Spoiler Alert!

All together:

Spoiler Alert!

Had to see how they looked in play
Spoiler Alert!

I'm really happy with this batch. The plants are tight to the base and look like they belong, and I think the stems are positioned better. Plus I can still remove the plants if needed... well all but the grass

Still any and all feedback is welcome. Really looking forward to taking a shot at making the trees.

Last edited by Zarklin; May 9th, 2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:46 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Looks great to me. I'll have to try the hairspray or spray glue trick next time I use moss.
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgarath View Post
Looks great to me. I'll have to try the hairspray or spray glue trick next time I use moss.

Thank you I haven't tried the hairspray yet so I'm not sure how it will do on the moss. Just going on an idea I've heard about people using it on static grass.. fingers crossed it doesn't make it glossy

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles