Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old January 12th, 2015, 06:09 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Oh neat! Thanks 1Mmirg. Fun stats to have, and useful too.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Thank you, all. I have updated the H&D entry to reflect it was a Swarm version (my bad). @dok if there are any of the maps that you are sure were used in seasons 1 or 2, I would be happy to add those uses in here.

Was the Frozen Fossil in addition to the uses I have already recorded? If so, I would be happy to note that as well.

--

I appreciate you all keeping me honest and giving me this information. I love the BoV. I have used its maps for my own events. However, each map is distinct and some lend themselves better to tournament use than others. I think these stats help indicate some of those differences and should help Scapers as they choose which BoV maps to try.

I will add that I have used several of the maps in my events that have only seen sparing (or even no) use at GenCon or online. Some of the older BoV maps don't work well, but many of them still do--or they offer a nice added dimension to an event (i.e. they are interesting to include in the mix along with a majority of other, more staid, maps).
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:31 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

ASPHALT COCKTAIL by superfrog

Start zones in the middle on high ground? That's crazy! He's breaking all the unwritten rules!

I generally like unwritten-rule breaking*. "You should eat less salt" ... pour a little more on. "Microcorp suck".... I'm bringing 'em! "You have to wear pants in public" ... goodbye pan...

Well, some unwritten rules are there for a reason.** In any case, I applaud superfrog's efforts toward originality. This map does play differently than most maps. Choosing what to place on those three center start zones generally involved a nice weighing of risk and reward. The two side perches are interesting spots in some matchups, and I like the use of the underutilized marvel set.

On the other hand, both Raelin and Rats have some very nice advantages here. I'm generally against giving Raelin a perch in the center within 6 spaces of the start zone, because at the cost of one order marker she covers the middle and has 4 defense. It's just too strong a start. In this case, she doesn't even have to spend an order marker. (I usually put her on the 2-hex side on the rear hex.) This is mitigated slightly by the fact that the opponent can have a shot at her from the first turn. But she won't be up there alone, she'll have a friend. And, depending on positioning, she can see through the trees and offer her bonus to the other side, and she's covering one of the glyphs, too.

Rats can drop onto both glyphs in one order marker, and/or clog up the opponent's start zone. It's a great rat start.

In other matches, it seemed that whoever won the first exchange at the top had a nice head start. And after that first exchange, it was just a straightforward king of the hill battle. Against rats, it was pretty difficult. (On the bright side, microcorp+rats have a great time.) Initiative helps with the first skirmish, meaning an initiative switch could help re-balance things, but overall I didn't like the feeling of having to come from behind right from the start.

I'll also note that the large tree doesn't fit well between the surrounding hexes, so those hexes aren't actually in place. If there were extra hexes to put underneath that tree to increase stability, I'd do that. It would restrict line of sight through the trees, but that wouldn't be a terrible thing for the most part***.

Overall, I feel like this map front-loads most of the suspense at the expense of the rest of the game, and favors some already strong units.

I vote No to induct Asphalt Cocktail.

----------
*Unwritten rule-breaking, on the other hand, is just silly. If you're going to break a rule, why not write about it?

**Is the pants one written? Seriously officer, I had no idea.

***Especially if the people on the other side of the trees aren't wearing pants.

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:43 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Thanks for giving it a go, fomox.
Old May 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I've enjoyed most every game I've played on Asphalt Cocktail. This is a fun map. No question.

However, there is one word, and fomox already leaked it, that sums up my feelings about this map: Rats!

This is a great casual map; excellent when you're playing without maxed out armies. But once you get serious about breaking the map, it, well, breaks (or at least turns into a nasty business of rat-on-rat maneuvers--uh, can I say that?--if both sides field rats).

I won't add to fomox's excellent review, except to say that my own games showed the same issues. With the right circumstances, Raelin can be devastating. With almost any circumstances, Rats will be devastating.

It also struggles a bit with the general issues of maps that have center starting zones (especially adjacent ones)--if an army doesn't have any good candidates for the middle (or feels outmatched because of the other team's middle options), things can get ugly fast. Those center, adjacent, high points mean that either you have to put something there (even if it's outmatched) or lose critical central ground.

That said, I want to point out some nice elements to this map. I love the good use of line of sight blockers and distance counting. This is a map that with two balanced armies really gets you moving around. You can't just perch in one place, but you have to move and re-position to get off key shots.

The road is also a nice touch, making for a quick run to the far side, but always a bit exposed and never right up to the glyphs. I always found this map dynamic and exciting, if the armies were built for the map and each other. It led to some great, truly great casual games.

Since I think people know I have aesthetics in mind as well when I look at a map, I'll add that this one is a bit stretched in that regard--it looks like someone trying to use limited sets and being forced to put some odd pieces together. However, while my OCDs flared a few times, I came to like what it was doing and looked past some of the odd color striping and such. It's really an impressive build, considering what it was trying to accomplish.

To reiterate, with the right armies, this map is a blast to play on. However, I can't sanction it for tournament use or even most highly competitive play.

So, rats, I have to vote NO to induct Asphalt Cocktail.
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:22 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Thanks, @1Mmirg , for giving it a go. I'm glad it gave you some fun matches.
Old June 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
Adrian Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Thanks, @1Mmirg , for giving it a go. I'm glad it gave you some fun matches.
Absolutely. It was one of my son's favorite maps (in recent memory). He really enjoyed it. Sadly, Rats/Raelin issues tend to make map-making hard for tourneys/competitive play. I'm very glad to have tested on this map.
Old July 27th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Thank you, all. I have updated the H&D entry to reflect it was a Swarm version (my bad). @dok if there are any of the maps that you are sure were used in seasons 1 or 2, I would be happy to add those uses in here.

Was the Frozen Fossil in addition to the uses I have already recorded? If so, I would be happy to note that as well.

--

I appreciate you all keeping me honest and giving me this information. I love the BoV. I have used its maps for my own events. However, each map is distinct and some lend themselves better to tournament use than others. I think these stats help indicate some of those differences and should help Scapers as they choose which BoV maps to try.

I will add that I have used several of the maps in my events that have only seen sparing (or even no) use at GenCon or online. Some of the older BoV maps don't work well, but many of them still do--or they offer a nice added dimension to an event (i.e. they are interesting to include in the mix along with a majority of other, more staid, maps).
I'm glad these stats have been added to make it clear that some of the BoV maps are outdated and not necessarily balanced. In our recent Islandscape event orcelfarmyone and I played on Swamp Thing, each of us proceeding to take the height nearest our start zone with ranged units. From there, neither of us had any reason to approach the other one's encampment, as the player who stayed on height would win, so we decided to just call it a draw and have a good old game of Summoner Wars.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old July 30th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Adrian Monk

Yes, Sir Dendrik, those are the kinds of things I want to avoid. Swamp Thing is a fun map, but it's not really part of the current meta of the game.

I just realized that I need to take a look and see which maps are on tap for this GenCon.
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Maybe BoV maps should be reevaluated after a certain amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Adrian Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Maybe BoV maps should be reevaluated after a certain amount of time.
I've thought about that (and we've discussed it previously), but we didn't feel like it was appropriate to have new judges rejudge all previous maps and it would have some time cost (which we clearly are struggling with) associated with doing so.

That is why we decided to let usage at major events help guide people to being able to see more clearly which BoV maps have really stood the test of time (though, of course, there are some excellent maps that are just underused).
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:32 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

With alot of the BOV maps i've noticed there are glyphs on some of them. In the PDF's I can not find out which glyphs these are. Are there any specific glyphs on these maps or are they random. I basically have not been putting them on because I don't know what they are supposed to be. Last one I did was Quasatch Playground. Don't get me wrong, these maps are awesome.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios