Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
AotP News Sightings, official news, etc.

Notices

Old July 18th, 2016, 12:11 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: AotP at Gencon 2016

@CT1001 I have to get confirmation from @fomox and other organizers, but we will only be using the new road rules from the new expansion, and most of the maps we are playing on have a lot of road on them. As far as the other terrain that is on Heroscape maps, there should be no difference in play only aesthetics (grass, rock, sand, dungeon, snow are just different colors) but of course the maps have a lot more water, line-of-sight blockers and terrain elevation changes than most Magic:Arena players are used to. Unless they change it, there will be no maps with cryptoliths or weirded spaces from the new set on any maps for the tournament, but I'd love to see some cryptoliths at least in the open play. Of course you can bring armies and magic cards from the new set. The only major change or rather clarification from the new rules is that you can only have one of each magic spell card in your 12-card deck.

Last edited by lefton4ya; July 18th, 2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old July 19th, 2016, 06:45 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1001 View Post
Thank you very much for the response - that's very helpful.

BTW, I've never played Heroscape and don't know much about it, so the Heroscape specific terrain is going to be totally new to me. Hopefully, I won't be too lost playing on it.

Not sure what I've booked for Friday night, but if I'm able (and not too demoralized from Thursday), I'll try to make it then as well.

One last question: Will we be using the rules out of the new expansion as well as the base set? I believe there are a few things that have changed, such as road travel rules, etc. Also, I'm assuming we can use the characters from the expansion as well?

Thanks again!
Welcome!

Yes, you can use spells, etc from any of the sets released before the event starts.

I don't think you'll be too lost on the new terrain. My hope is that the event is very relaxed and enjoyable, and that if there are any rules concerns that arise from the different terrain, we'll be able to handle that in a way that is fair and fun for everyone. Officially, we'll just use the road and water rules. Heroscape terrain does have half-height tiles for water (and shadow, and ice) which count for 0 height. Other than that, I think it's a very smooth transition. And I think it's a LOT of fun playing on a map with more 3-D elements.

While there is a prize for coming out on top, it's not like the stakes are very high, so hopefully people come to have a good time and are good sports about someone who is new to either the terrain or new units, etc. (That's how the vast majority of heroscape players approach these events, and I suspect/hope a lot of the players for AotP will be the same.)

I look forward to seeing you there!

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:48 AM

CT1001 Woo who?

Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I was hoping for - a nice relaxed event. Basically, I just want the opportunity to play as much as possible. I'm just in it for the fun.

I'm looking forward to playing on the Heroscape terrain. It will be a lot different and a nice change from the desert terrain I'm used to with AOTP.

See you there.
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

We use some terrain I picked up at Hobby Lobby and Dollar Tree to spice it up.

Still makes for fast map setup but allows for some variety and line of sight blockers.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News