Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM

Zedreth Woo who?
Marrden Pack Hunters

Hey scapers, I'm new around here (At least new with an account, I've been reading here for a while).

Some friends of mine and I have been creating some custom terrain and army cards for ourselves, and also because we plan to sell some of them on ebay. We've made some marro terrain so far, and have planned a few other things.

I'd just like your opinion on a card I like to call 'Marrden Pack Hunters'. It will be a modded version of the nagrubs, using their basic shape. I want to know if you think the points I set for them are fair, too high, or too low. I'm not sure, but I've tried to benchmark a little.

Please give me your opinions.

EDIT: Under 'Quick Assult' it's supposed to say "may move 3 spaces immediately" Gotta fix the card.
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Marrden Pack Hunters

Another possible wording for quick assault would be:

If a Marrden Pack Hunter inflicts at least 1 wound with its normal attack, you may immediately move one other Marrden Pack Hunter you control up to three spaces.

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM

Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker

Hey, Zedreth, welcome to the site! This is a well-designed first custom. I especially like Quick Assault because it feels like an inverse Scatter ability. It would be cool if you called it Vicious Assault and changed their personality to Wild; they are similar words, but most Marros are Wild.

Your abilities have a few mistakes. Quick Assault should actually read:
"After a Marrden Pack Hunter inflicts at least one wound on an opponent's figure, you may immediately move any other Marrden Pack Hunter you control up to three spaces."

Pack Mentality appears to be two abilities in one. You should decide on one or the other. Perhaps you could "borrow" Scytale's Pack Attack ability from his Gnoll Raiders custom. He probably wouldn't mind if you asked.

I can feel the theme of marro/marrden who travel in packs, but the name leaves something to be desired. By the way, are there three figures to a squad?

Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
~Murphy's Laws of Combat

Last edited by Ace_of_Spades; September 20th, 2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Thanks, Mega.
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

It shouldn't be enemy but opponent's figure, Ace.

Nice start to the custom, though.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM

Zedreth Woo who?

Thanks for all the feedback, it helps a bunch. As far as the wording goes, that's one of the main reasons I posted it here, sounded a bit weird to me.

And I realize the spelling error of "assault," it will be fixed. My friend that I'm working with thinks the assault ability should be called "blood thirst," simulating the idea that the blood shed from the attack makes the others push harder to get to the victim.

Also I realize it is like two abilities in one, but I didn't feel the need to split it up into two, because they would have the same requirements (And isn't it like an unwritten rule that you can't have more than 3 abilities to a card?).

Also, for these abilities and stats, do you think 80 points is sufficient?

PS: We sculpted the modified figures earlier today, they look great. Planning on painting them tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh and about "vicious," I had it that way because I imagined that these particular units would be used in quick rushes and quick swarm kills. "wild" would be okay I suppose, but not all marro are wild.

EDIT EDIT: And yes, three figures.

Last edited by Zedreth; September 22nd, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added info
Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Re-word Pack Mentality to "A Marrden Pack Hunter you control that is adjacent to at least one other Marrden Pack Hunter you control rolls one additional attack die and is never attacked when leaving an engagement."

It still might be better as two powers. In this case, 4 powers would probably be okay, as they're really short. Sonya has 4, BTW, but she's the only one.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:09 PM

Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker Hive Lord 1233 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedreth View Post

And I realize the spelling error of "assault," it will be fixed. My friend that I'm working with thinks the assault ability should be called "blood thirst," simulating the idea that the blood shed from the attack makes the others push harder to get to the victim.

Just a heads up, the C3V Preyblood Thrall already has a power called Blood Thirst.

Also I realize it is like two abilities in one, but I didn't feel the need to split it up into two, because they would have the same requirements (And isn't it like an unwritten rule that you can't have more than 3 abilities to a card?).

Well not necessarily, its usually a good idea to keep it to a maximum of three, but you don't have to.

PS: We sculpted the modified figures earlier today, they look great. Planning on painting them tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh and about "vicious," I had it that way because I imagined that these particular units would be used in quick rushes and quick swarm kills. "wild" would be okay I suppose, but not all marro are wild.

Good point. Vicious will work fine. IMO
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive Lord 1233 View Post
Just a heads up, the C3V Preyblood Thrall already has a power called Blood Thirst.
No it doesn't. It's Blood Hunger.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM

Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Needing to be adjacent to leave engagement is awkward. It's ambiguous what happens when you move away from both figures at once.

"A Marrden Pack Hunter you control that is adjacent to at least one other Marrden Pack Hunter you control rolls one additional attack die. A Marrden Pack Hunter is never attacked when leaving an engagement if at least one other Marrden Pack Hunter is engaged to the attacking figure."

Or something.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
HoSSpitable little wookiee (apparently "wookiee" has 2 E's, who knew?)

heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla heroscaper2010 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I hate it when people go right to the card, it makes it so hard to reword powers and fix stuff. Here's an outline of what you have now:

Quote:

Marrden Pack Hunters
Utgar

Marro
Common Squad (of 3)
Hunters
Vicious
SMALL 3

Life 1
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

CLIMB X2
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Marrden Pack Hunters may double their height.

QUICK ASSUALT
After a Marrden Pack Hunter deals one wound or more wounds in an attack, one other Marrden Pack Hunter you control amy move 3

PACK MENTALITY
Any Marrden Pack Hunter with atleast one of Pack Hunter adjacent to it may add one die to their attack roll. Additionally, that particular Pack Hunter takes no damage from leaving an engagement.
Revised Version:

Quote:

Marrden Pack Hunters
Utgar

Marro
Common Squad (of 3)
Hunters
Vicious
SMALL 3

Life 1
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

QUICK ASSUALT
If a Marrden Pack Hunter you control inflicts at least one wound on an opponents figure, you may immediately move one another Marrden Pack Hunter you control up to 3 spaces.

PACK MENTALITY
When attacking with a Marrden Pack Hunter, roll one additional attack die for each Marrden Pack Hunter you control adjacent to the attacking Marrden Pack Hunter.

CLIMB X2
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Marrden Pack Hunters may double their height.
I like how Quick Assualt and Pack Mentality help each other. Say I was only able to get one Pack Hunter to my opponent but 2 others 3 spaces away. Say my Pack Hunter inflicts a wound on my opponents figure, I move my other Pack Hunter up adjacent to my other Pack Hunter, and then again inflict another wound on my opponent because I got an extra attack die. Repeat until you can no longer move Pack Hunters adjacent to opponent figures or until you have taken turns with all three Pack Hunters this turn.

My Maps
Tournament Record: 28-28: .500!
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:08 PM

Zedreth Woo who?

Thanks again for all the feedback! So as far as the wording for pack mentality goes, I like awesomeunleashed's version the best, but I modified it a bit to eliminate ambiguity. One, because it makes it sound like it's one ability, and two because it's when there is at least 1 adjacent, not for each adjacent. That would be unbearably overpowered in a swarm scenario .

I'll keep it as 'Blood Thirst' because apparently, it's blood hunger not blood thirst.

As for pics of the figures, I don't have them yet. We sculpted the figures, but never ended up painting them. I'll take a picture when I'm at my buddy's house this Sunday. Here's a revised card.

Also I'd like to remind you all that I'm still wondering your opinions on the point value.

Any creative names? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of 'Elite Nagrubs' or something like that.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:10 PM

Zedreth Woo who?

Sorry, ran a little late with the pics. We added some sculpt on to the nagrubs, and painted them differently. Here they are:

And also, how does "Nagrub Alphas" sound?

Last edited by Zedreth; October 2nd, 2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added more photos

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards