Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker
Re: HelmAverse REINFORCEMENT PACKS - Black Knight draft

Nice design, and a good summation of the character. 180 seems a bit high to me for his point cost. Compared to Venom at 150, his attack is
worse(ebony blade SA isn't usually as good as a 6 attack even before the penalty), his survivability is pretty close(maybe even a bit worse), his movement is comparable(yes he can fly, but no stealth movement), and he doesn't have any type of ranged attack. In my opinion Venom is easily better and 30 points cheaper. Granted Venom received an A or A- in the power rankings I think but then compare your Black Knight to Spider-Man and most of the same arguments hold up.

CORVUS
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemiscorso View Post
Nice design, and a good summation of the character. 180 seems a bit high to me for his point cost. Compared to Venom at 150, his attack is
worse(ebony blade SA isn't usually as good as a 6 attack even before the penalty), his survivability is pretty close(maybe even a bit worse), his movement is comparable(yes he can fly, but no stealth movement), and he doesn't have any type of ranged attack. In my opinion Venom is easily better and 30 points cheaper. Granted Venom received an A or A- in the power rankings I think but then compare your Black Knight to Spider-Man and most of the same arguments hold up.
Thanks for checking the HelmAverse out and thanks even more for your insight. I originally had this guy written up at 160 but then bumped him for fear that the Ebony Blade Special Attack could really make a difference. But after reading your comparison to Venom, I think you made some excellent points. The Special Attack probably isn't as nasty as I thought, especially since he wouldn't like use it against squads for fear of killing them. He really is just a flying melee set-up character who can put a little damage on another Hero but then merely locks up an engagement for a while with a weak normal attack.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to playtest him in my recent games so I'll have to hope that another HelmAverse fan takes a whirl but I'm really starting to think that this guy should be down in the 140 point range.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker

No prob, I haven't visited the site much lately, but when I do I always like to check out the Helmaverse. Yeah I'd say around 140 or 150 sounds right. I don't know how you feel about it, but if you wanted him to cost a
little more and be better in a crowd you could throw in a counterstrike power. It would be pretty nasty ala his 6 defense, but not totally out of character as the Black Knight was a master swordsman. I don't know if you want him to be that strong(the Black Knight wasn't the most powerful guy out there after all), but it would probably put him close to that 180. Just food for thought.

CORVUS
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks again. I agree that he was an expert swordsman and could easily be bumped up with a Counter Strike type ability. But you hit it on the head, he wasn't the most powerful guy or significant superhero.

Besides, a counter strike ability will cause opponents to run from him and fire from range or use special attacks against him. I'd rather see him race into melee and have an opponent race right at him. I know his range of 1 will result in many enemies keeping thier distance, but without counter strike, I don't think they would specifically avoid his charge.

I also kind of like the idea of him fitting a niche for army builds by giving my players more options to finish off their point totals. I'll drop him down to 140 and see how he plays from there.

Thanks again, your input is very helpful.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Captain Underpants

Last week's second night of family scaping had a real fun free for all. The limit was approx 1000 points so the teams were:

Team 5-yr old
:
Darkseid 370
Iron Man 240
Crimson Dynamo 230
The Torch 200
-----------------
1040 points (he's only 5 yrs old)

Team 8 yr old:
Supergirl 325
Doctor Strange 250
Doctor Doom 245
Spider-Man 160
Bucky 80
-----------------
1060 (he's only 8 and was not going to get the help the 5 yr old did)

Team Nephew:
Thanos 360
Brainiac 330
Green Lantern: 250
-----------------
940 (foolish over confident youth)

Team Helm:
The Thing 300
Mr Mantastic 245
Invisible Woman 240
Human Torch 185
-----------------
970 (ready to play the FF in unison)

The map was quite big with each player starting in different terrain zones. team Helm and Team 5-yr-old were on either side of a small castle but the 5-yr old immediately took control of it with Darkseid. Helm ran for the cover of rocks, trees and jungle spaces on his way to face off with someone more concerning.

Team 8-year old had a good strategy and wanted to use Doom to force Thanos and Brainiac to battle each other a bit... Doom left his ice and snow stronghold and tried to attack Team Nephew who was on the low ground near a beach. Unfortuanately for him Doom was no match for Thanos and Green Lantern.

On a second front, Team 8 year old noticed that Team 5 year old positioned the Torch up on a volcano waiting to rain down on anyone who came near him. In a few moves he sped Supergirl over there, used Doctor Strange to swap out the Torch with Iron Man, and then blew the the red and yellow tin can into the lava. After a few tears were shed, Team 5 year old regrouped in the castle and thanks to Omega Beams, managed to hurt the Thing a bit as he ran toward team nephew under jungle cover.

Team Helm was completely worried about team Nephew being able to ressurect Thanos, or using Brainiac to rise again through Thanos and then having Thanos come back anyway!!!! But really the threat was GL who could use Omega Beams, the Dynamo's Electrical Blasts, or even Spidey's Defense Dice reducing webs to beat Dr. Strange.

Although I knew I wanted Strange out, I vowed I would not make him my focus and to my nephew's surprise, I sent the entire FF after Green Lantern. They worked great together and really frustrated him. In the end, Thanos came to help and Green Lantern and Human Torch were both destroyed.

Meanwhile, Dr. Strange and Brainiac got into a scrum while Darkseid awaited patiently. With the FF widdling away at Thanos and Brainiac at a stalemate with Strange, my son made a bold move and swapped Braniac with Thanos. My nephew called him crazy as Thanos had piled on the order markers to face the entire Fantastic Three and Braiac was only sitting with an X Marker Decoy, but my son liked the fact that Thanos was on the brink of death and with the FF now able to forego entangle and barrage Brainiac with attacks, we could eliminate team nephew swiftly... and he was right. In a last ditch effort, Brainiac killed Bucky in hopes of getting the Winter Soldier to trigger to his side but it didn't happen. No coming back for his team.

Now the Fantastic Three was facing Team 8-yr-old and Supergirl went one on one with the Thing. She put a heck of a blow on him with a solid punch but triggered Clobberin Time and it finally did the job to take her out. With a wounded Thing hanging under the Invisible Woman's force field and next to a fully healthy Mr. F, the team started to talk to the wounded but pesky Dr. Strange and Spidey and like a classic comic book story, decided to team up and go after the evil team of Darkseid, Crimson Dynamo and the original Torch.

My nephew was now helping my 5-yr-old for comeptitive balance. Just before leaving the snow mountain, lucky me got a new FF member by rolling up the Winter Soldier. I decided to keep him behind as I didn't want Darkseid to kill him and then get him for his own, later in the game. He was my back up. My 8-yr old kept a 3 wound Spidey back as well and I was OK with it, as long as the difficult to wound Dr Strange joined my fight to draw fire from team 5-year old.

As we got into the battle for the castle, Crimson Dynamo scored a hit on Mr. Fantastic and a miss which bounced to Invisible Woman (my mistake for having them adjacent... from then on, they were 2 spaces apart).

The Thing climed a ladder and the Dynamo was finished off. With Strange engaged and battling the Torch and Thing still in Susan's Forcefield going after Darkseid, my 8-yr-old once again pulled a brilliant move. Right out of Star Wars Episode III he called his "Clone Troopers" and stabbed me in the back. Dr. Strange swapped out my Invisible Woman for my Bucky and on Darkseid's next turn he punched the Thing right off the map.

Next round he swapped them back and Spidey wounded Winter Soldier (Bucky) significantly but Bucky did kill the annoying little bugman. Eventually, Dr. Strange defeated the Torch and then swapped Bucky and Invisible Woman again so that Bucky could get Omega Beamed out of the game with the hope of getting him back to his team.

Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic did what they could and eventually the game came down to Darkseid with one life left, Mr. F with 1 life left and Dr. Strange with 1 life left... it was literally anyone's game.

Mr. F finally fell first and then Team 5-year-old got lucky by bringing the Winter Soldier to his team. The very next turn Darkseid dispatched Strange (who was already emotionally defeated seeing Bucky stare him down on the other team) for the win.

My kids had the absolute best time and I loved every minute of it. My nephew was a bit annoyed so we had to play classic Valhalla 1000 point armies until he could exhaust me into making dumb mistakes. He did that by 2:30 AM and by 3:00 Am, he had won. Will I ever learn?

Last edited by Matt Helm; January 17th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Awesome battle report, Matt. Sounds like an absolute blast.
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:03 PM
Captain Underpants

I added the photo I took of Black Knight to his original post. Not sure if it is better than the stock photo.

More supers are coming soon.
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:14 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Can't wait for more!

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Cheers
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post

Cheers
Sweet! Nice and simple too!

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:45 PM
Captain Underpants

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to A3n again.

... BK's card looks awesome (as always). Thanks for always being there for me A3n, the HelmAverse would have a big piece missing in the middle of it if not for you.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to A3n again.

... BK's card looks awesome (as always). Thanks for always being there for me A3n, the HelmAverse would have a big piece missing in the middle of it if not for you.
I already +repped him with extreme prejudice. I'm not cleaning the mess, though.

Stunning card, and a fantastic design!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations