Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:14 AM
"Special Eyes"

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth
Re: NM24 - Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Terrax is definitely hanging over more on the right side than on the left. Is that something you guys worry about? lol
Who are you calling "you guys"?

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 53 - ARKHAM UNLEASHED
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I dunno if he's overcosted... let's see.

He's equal to Thanos in mobility, offensively better than Thanos due to Master of Earth and Stone (MES) and Cosmic Axe, but defensively worse because he can't be resurrected like Thanos can. Normally I'd say that Terrax's offensive superiority would push him a notch above Thanos, but his superiority comes with a limitation - in order to use MES, Terrax can't fly. On uneven terrain, there's a limit to how many figures he'll be able to walk through, not to mention the fact that a 15+ is not that easy to roll. So I'm not even sure that Terrax wins in that department, whereas Thanos' ability to return from the dead is a proven and time-tested power. So yeah, I don't see 370 as being too undercosted for Terrax as is. I could maybe see an argument made for 380 due to Terrax's anti-squad potential, but not too much more than that.

Also, in the text for MES, the word "Master" in the last sentence still needs to be capitalized.
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I still think Terrax needs to be more expensive. Thanos returns from the dead in about one out of every three games I've played with him. In an all-Supers game he's a beast, but when squads are in the mix he seriously underperforms due to his single-kill limitation. Considering only Thanos' Special, I would say Terrax is still just as good two games out of three and worse one game out of three. Add in Master of Earth and Stone with it's power to kill roughly one out of every three squaddies he moves through - and the free disengagement that goes with that - and Terrax is clearly superior in two out of three games and potentially better in one out of three depending on the type of opposition. That's more than 10 points, I think.

~Aldin, master of girth and groan

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:18 AM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker

I definitely understand this concern. The only thing I can say to this is try him out. I've playtested him several times against melee squads because I was afraid of the possibility that he would just rip through them. Here is what I found out about Master of Earth and Stone...if the die 20 is hot it can be pretty powerful...if not it can be Terrax's worst enemy. To get 3 or sometimes even just 2 squad members to be affected by Master of Earth and Stone, Terrax not only has to give up his range advantage, he often loses strategic positioning. It usually makes him walk right into the teeth of the opponent, which even for someone with 7 defense can be a poor choice. This being said,
I would consider upping the necessary wound number to 16, with a little more playtesting needed to decide.

CORVUS

Last edited by artemiscorso; May 11th, 2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The difficulty here is that I don't necessarily think he's overpowered so much as I think Thanos is underpowered. If we're trying to be consistent with official figures, I think he's more than 10 points better than Thanos. Given how otherwise similar to Thanos he is, I think there's a problem with pricing him so close to the official fig. Right now, I can say with assurance that I would ALWAYS pick Terrax over Thanos and that is a red flag for me when I'm evaluating customs.

~Aldin, groundedly

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker

Yeah, I see your point. It could be argued that the 320 point Silver Surfer would in most situations be the better choice than the similarly powered Thanos, but perhaps not to the extent that Terrax is a better
choice. I would rather make him weaker than raise his point cost.
If I upped his MES to a 16 it would give it a 25% chance of working, or in otherwords on average inflict 1 wound for every 4 figures passed through. It may not seem so, but in my tests it was quite difficult to get this power to effect 4 or more figures in one turn, and if Terrax did it probably meant that he was getting attacked 3 or 4 times himself the previous or subsequent turn.(not a good option for a 370 pt. figure) At this rate I could probably see reasons to pick Thanos over Terrax versus certain armies.

CORVUS

Last edited by artemiscorso; May 11th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:56 PM

It might seem wrong to you, but I think just dropping the attack by one more (to four) accomplishes the task of hitting that valuation. It means that even though his adjacent attack is as powerful as Thanos', he is not nearly as good as a stand-off fighter. That role differentiation would be enough in my mind.

~Aldin, mixing it up

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Hmmm.....I like the idea. I think I would like to keep his close combat attack at 7, though. What if I dropped his range to 5, his attack to 4, and gave him a plus 3 for cosmic axe. This fits Terrax's persona to me a little better, as he was more of a close combat fighter than Galactus's other heralds(and that axe of his was a pretty potent weapon). If this doesn't weaken him enough, I could also up his MES to requiring a 16 as well, or perhaps even drop his range to 4.

CORVUS

Last edited by artemiscorso; May 11th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM

That'd answer any concerns I have

~Aldin, calling the brute squad

ETA Heck, with the range reduction I'd be comfortable with a +4 for Cosmic Axe

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Last edited by Aldin; May 11th, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Updated Terrax.

CORVUS
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Master Tang rolls all skulls baby! Master Tang rolls all skulls baby! Master Tang rolls all skulls baby! Master Tang rolls all skulls baby! Master Tang rolls all skulls baby!

Is it ready for thumbs because I love the way it's looking right now.

Master Tang's Comic Customs
Most Recent Custom: 7/10 Hand Ninja & Karate Kid
Master Tang's Comics & Gaming Blog Update 7/30
MASTER TANG - An Honored Ally of C3G

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tang View Post
Is it ready for thumbs because I love the way it's looking right now.
I'm ready for cheesecake, but have to go to the store to get it.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

My still stands.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations