Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old February 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM

pixlepix Woo who?
Re: Wyvern & Lava

I vote for the "dive-bomb" but I would like a ruling.

"Heroscape isn't interfering with your life. Your life is interfering with heroscape."
Basic guide to heroscape
guide to heroscape rules
The best online game ever(try it out for a month.)
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

That would make no sense for him to not be able to Dive Bomb. He picks a figure up and then flies him to the lava. The other way makes it seem like the figure teleports when the Wyvern lands. (Yes, I know it's just a game, but still)

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:02 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

See Newb....its not so clear
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Off by a little. Plus a typo.

iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker iceman3317 knows what's in an order marker

Hmm,I thought if you had a flying figure,you take no damage at all.

Quote:
Flying: Figures with the special power of Flying may fly over molten lava without rolling for molten lava damage.
Wouldn't that mean a flying figure can land on molten lava and fly above the lava? Or have I been doing the lava thing all wrong sense I've had it? Me and my friends agreed that a flying figure does not take lava damage if on a lava tile. I know this isn't real life,but in real life if you could fly,you could fly above lava without getting burnt.

Valhalla's Darkest Hour: Custom Wave 3 and March of Shadows: Custom Large Expansion 1 coming soon.
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:21 AM

dsbarrick is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3317 View Post
Hmm,I thought if you had a flying figure,you take no damage at all.

Quote:
Flying: Figures with the special power of Flying may fly over molten lava without rolling for molten lava damage.
Wouldn't that mean a flying figure can land on molten lava and fly above the lava? Or have I been doing the lava thing all wrong sense I've had it? Me and my friends agreed that a flying figure does not take lava damage if on a lava tile. I know this isn't real life,but in real life if you could fly,you could fly above lava without getting burnt.
Flying figures must land at the end of their move.
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That is the difference between the actual rules and the cinematic action portrayed in our minds while we play the game. We see it cinematically as the chosen figure being grabbed while the Wyvern is flying and goes with the Wyvern as it flies to its destination. BUT that is not how it works in the game. The Wyvern flies over a figure, lands and then places that chosen figure adjacent to it (following all restrictions on the card). That's it. To add any more to it is not following the rules as written on the card. If the Wyvern dies before it can place the chosen figure, the figure can't be place adjacent to the Wyvern (since it is now gone from the board). So the chosen figure stays where it originally was located before the Wyvern moved.

In HS, flying figures actually hop. They take off and then land at the end of their movement. They do not remain airborne unless using house rules.

Newb.

Last edited by LilNewbie; February 18th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:55 AM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
That is the difference between the actual rules and the cinematic action portrayed in our minds while we play the game. We see it cinematically as the chosen figure being grabbed while the Wyvern is flying and goes with the Wyvern as it flies to its destination. BUT that is not how it works in the game. The Wyvern flies over a figure, lands and then places that chosen figure adjacent to it (following all restrictions on the card). That's it. To add any more to it is not following the rules as written on the card. If the Wyvern dies before it can place the chosen figure, the figure can't be place adjacent to the Wyvern (since it is now gone from the board). So the chosen figure stays where it originally was located before the Wyvern moved.

In HS, flying figures actually hop. They take off and then land at the end of their movement. They do not remain airborne unless using house rules.

Newb.
Just like how a figure grabbed by the Drow Chainfighter doesn't take falling damage. The figure just appears in front of you.

Although a no restriction game might be fun . Translate the abilities to what you think they should be like. An example with this grab is have it so you can dive into lava with a figure, and make it so you can grab your own guys.

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of darkness
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:59 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

This reminds me of some of the pounce-related confusion. It's not really that the power is worded in a confusing way, it's that the power doesn't work the way our intuition says it should.
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
This reminds me of some of the pounce-related confusion. It's not really that the power is worded in a confusing way, it's that the power doesn't work the way our intuition says it should.

The difference between a game and real-life. This actually reminds me of some discussions I've heard about Dagorhir or other LARPing or foam-fighting sports. You are playing a game, you are not in real-life, the rules are for the game, not real-life.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:58 AM

pixlepix Woo who?

The way I see it:
Wyvern lands
carried figure lands
both figures roll for falling damage.

"Heroscape isn't interfering with your life. Your life is interfering with heroscape."
Basic guide to heroscape
guide to heroscape rules
The best online game ever(try it out for a month.)
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It's at least a bit funny to note that we can argue the realism of the grabbed figure needing to go along for the plunge of doom without once considering the realism of the Wyvern willingly sacrificing itself in the first place. I think most (but certainly not all) of our rules quandries arise from min/max munchkinesque thinking.

To worry about this question you need to first assume someone who would play this way, then assume they have a Wyvern in their army, then assume they're playing on a lava map, then assume that they're playing with someone who wouldn't necessaruly just roll with their interpretation, then assume that the opponent's army features a grab-able figure worth lava-dipping, then assume they actually get the opportunity to try to pull it off. If you've got that kind of luck you ought to be playing Runa

~Aldin, who simply wouldn't worry about it if my opponent wanted to immolate his Wyvern to my detriment

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
Movement ends when the Wyvern lands in the lava, just like water.

After movement, two things happen:

1. drag the dude into the lava next to you, and
2. roll for lava damage

They seem to happen at the same time.
When two things happen at the same time in HeroScape, you roll the d20 to see which goes first (seriously, it's in the rules). Still, there's a 50% chance you drag the opponent in with you, and a 50% chance the heat makes your Wyvern lose its grip.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's